On the brink of giving up.

There is no sound difference between USB and FireWire. Zero.

I also think its your mackie. I'd go axe USB out. (Forgive me if you tried that already, I may have missed where you said as much)

What is your definition and damping set at?

Have you tweaked the cabs stock response much?

Firewire has less latency issues. At least for me it does.

I'm still stuck at work. USB out is the only connection I haven't tried I think so we shall se what happens.

Thing is,.the onboard Eq is turned off. Would the mixer still have an effect on it?

Not every piece if gear works for every user.

I was about to give up until the Mark Day HBE preset set me on the path to making the tones I sought. I've modified that preset with different amps and cabs to make bunch of presets. I also recommend the Fremen group of presets to learn and hear what the unit can do.

I suggest putting it aside for a few weeks as you're now burnt out and nothing good comes of that.

USB out is the only connection I haven't tried I think so we shall se what happens.

Thing is,.the onboard Eq is turned off. Would the mixer still have an effect on it?

It absolutely would. That mixer is coloring your sound more than you can imagine. Mackie pres are fairly brittle and have headroom issues. You are likely chopping transients a bit and adding some harshness... it might be slight, but it's there.
Get that thing the hell out of your signal path :)

You are running a performance vehicle on a road full of pot holes.

I'll say it one more time: THAT PRESET IS CLIPPING LIKE CRAZY. If you are going digital (i.e. Firewire) then you are likely clipping the hell out of your mixer or interface or whatever and it's no wonder you can't get the sound you want.

I'll say it one more time: THAT PRESET IS CLIPPING LIKE CRAZY. If you are going digital (i.e. Firewire) then you are likely clipping the hell out of your mixer or interface or whatever and it's no wonder you can't get the sound you want.

Seriously? I only turned the MV up to 6 or so. Hmm. And my mixer isn't near the red nor does the unit register clipping. I wonder.

I have never read to turn mv up past 3 or 4 on a boogie in axe fx, check that vid i linked!!!!!!!!!

Petrucci himself keeps his master Volume at 3 or so, not 6. I also use Ownhammer Mesa V31 with the Fathead position #3, that is my favorite IR for this type of sound.

It absolutely would. That mixer is coloring your sound more than you can imagine. Mackie pres are fairly brittle and have headroom issues. You are likely chopping transients a bit and adding some harshness... it might be slight, but it's there.

I mentioned this in the very beginning of the thread. Get rid of the mackie. No need for it and its probably causing more harm than good. Just go USB right into the computer into PT. Done.
Get some kick ass monitors.
And I've never gone past 4 with the mv with any boogie amp

Only if he's using the pre's. The mackies (like mine) have a channel insert out-nothing but level-no eq, no color. I tested it plenty-recording all types of ways.

I mentioned this in the very beginning of the thread. Get rid of the mackie. No need for it and its probably causing more harm than good. Just go USB right into the computer into PT. Done.
Get some kick ass monitors.

And that's possible, but not absolute. See my response to rerecktmania. It's a great way to monitor "everything" in a studio enviorment-(well a home studio, which I assume the op has.
What works for one does not work for everyone. I mebntioned the pres way up top somewhere but never got a response. from the op. You use the line in (TRS) and the channel insert out-no noise, no nothing-but tons of monitoring choices.

I need to add this:

My Mackie has no built in sound card device-that may very well be the issue. I use my Mackie-line in channel insert out but have an AEcho Lalyla3G as my sound card. Perhaps thats why it works so well for me.

And that's possible, but not absolute. See my response to rerecktmania. It's a great way to monitor "everything" in a studio enviorment-(well a home studio, which I assume the op has.
What works for one does not work for everyone. I mebntioned the pres way up top somewhere but never got a response. from the op. You use the line in (TRS) and the channel insert out-no noise, no nothing-but tons of monitoring choices.

If there is circuitry there is likely color. Also more clipping possibilities. Secondly, Mackie's are NOT considered clean and generally considered harsh in the pro audio community. I started with them and used them plenty over the last 20 years. I never came across one I'd consider clean. Even the inserts that bypass the EQ and preamp. I simply disagree with you here. I'd bypass the crap outta that thing. Especially when it's unnecessary.

Mackies are NOT considered clean and generally considered harsh in the pro audio community. I started with them and used them plenty over the last 20 years. I never came across one I'd consider clean.

Seriously? The pres in the latest generation Onyx mixers are marketed, and praised, for their transparency and low noise/distortion...interesting.

Onyx are mediocre at best. Consumer products are always marketed to the consumer(go figure), who generally don't have much experience with this stuff and even less to compare it to. I will say that onyx are better than years past, but consumer grade none-the-less. It would be better to skip another layer of potential issues and just use the USB. Ymmv

Last edited:
Use a tube amp and the axe for effects. I went thru a similar phase, after I decided to move to this sett up. Stoped tweaking and started playing, if you know what I mean.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom