not sure about the new delay mix law

Still, this thread got me thinking that it could come in very handy to have a little app that's able to batch process multiple presets, changing the old mix ratios to the new ones for example. :)

For anyone who knows the .syx layout of a preset I imagine this would be a pretty simple task, just save your preset as .syx then run it through the app.

i was thinking exactly the same thing the other day. don't know if there would be problems if the mix was tied to a modifier though. you could save an entire bank to your computer...batch process and then re-load. simples.

For anyone who knows the .syx layout of a preset I imagine this would be a pretty simple task, just save your preset as .syx then run it through the app.
That's a cool idea. AppleScript support for Axe-Edit would do it for me. :)

Is it just me or does the provided formula not sound right? My 15% delays do not sound the same at 8.8%, but are closer sounding at 10%

I have the feeling that with the new mix law the delays are much harder to control and react too much on your picking dynamics as someone else stated before. With the mix of 25% I already perceive it as loud as 45%. Not sure if it's my ears or if something essential (not only the mix level) did change. I too have a hard time dialing in the right amount of delay. Hope someone can confirm this since delay is my prime effect block.

Delay in a parallel row (Mix 100, Level 0, Input Gain controls delay level) works for me.

I thought the whole reason behind the new delay mix law was that it could be used in series without the level problems? so when putting it in parallel the new delay mix law has no use.

Can someone confirm if the dynamic response of the delay is different now with the new mix law. As I said I find it much harder to control now.

Can someone confirm if the dynamic response of the delay is different now with the new mix law. As I said I find it much harder to control now.
The dynamics of the Delay block are still the same to me. It's still a straight-up delay.

No difference to me , It is however much more like running it in parallel ,doesn't effect the dry tone nearly as much as before! Which I like a lot !!

Delay in a parallel row (Mix 100, Level 0, Input Gain controls delay level) works for me.

+1

I find running "after distortion" effects in parallel much more intuitive. I have a row of shunts which is my dry signal and various effects appearing in the parallel row(s) (Mix=100, Level=0, Input Gain = ?) which get added to my dry.

The new delay mix law worked fine in my tests but I just like the parallel method better. Also, since delay is the only effect using the new mix law, I can't apply it with other effects like chorus, flanger, phaser ...

Last edited:
I put the modifier on Input gain. That way it doesn't change abruptly. what ever I play new won't be affected, but whatever was playing, before I hit the pedal dies gracefully.

Very useful result. Can you explain the positioning part - "I put the modifier on Input gain" - in more detail for the newbies?

Also, how would you go about using an expression pedal(s) to control the mix and or amount of feedback (for delay) for playing wild Mike Stern canyons-of-echo-style solos? Thanks Scott! :encouragement:

I thought the whole reason behind the new delay mix law was that it could be used in series without the level problems? so when putting it in parallel the new delay mix law has no use.

If you run the delay in parallel (with the Mix at 100%) then it is identical to before.

The dynamic response is unchanged. Dynamic processing is done prior to output mixing.

The only difference is that the dry level does not decrease until the Mix is above 50%. This makes turning up the Level to compensate for the decrease in dry level unnecessary.

Can someone maybe post a screenshot of how to put the Delay Block in a parallel row? Not totally sure where to merge the Delay Block.

I have read this: How to create a parallel path?
Split the signal to a separate row (1 or more) above or below the main one, add blocks or shunts to the rows, and merge the paths again. Merging is not necessary, but two long rows connected to the output on the grid may use more CPU cycles than a merged row (shunts use CPU).

But want to be 100% sure that I have it correct by seeing an example screenshot.

Can someone maybe post a screenshot of how to put the Delay Block in a parallel row? Not totally sure where to merge the Delay Block.

I posted my approach to this earlier in the thread:

For once, it's nice to feel as though I had 'future-proofed' with my Preset construction approach!

My last rebuild session in 11b resulted in the following (Reverb and Delay Blocks all set to 100% wet and blended to taste via a Mixer Block :eagerness:)

ReverbampDelayLayout_zps248e8a3a.jpg

That won't work for everyone and more complex approaches etc, but it would suit many

Thanks. In that last setup when you attach a modifier to the Delay level do you hear a volume increase or decrease when rocking the pedal?
Tried adding a modifier to the (parallel) delay level or input gain but I got a volume increase with higher level or input gain settings. Is there a way to have it at the same volume level while increase the the amount of delay with an expression pedal?

Back
Top Bottom