New Fractal product coming!!

1: Wireless!! We get wireless communication.
Something's wrong? It's always the damn cable!
Its the only thing that's missing that is not perfect(ed) yet in fractal land.

2: AI embedded in axe-edit

Last edited:
Now that I have heard the difference, what would be the difference in having 300 Fractal amp models at your disposal or having 300 amps that were captured at your disposal?
The answer is the reason why I stick with modelling instead of captures.

I have used and bought both tech. Out of the 300 captures, I will only like 3 (maybe). All the other captures will be disregarded because I won't like how they have been captured, and their fundamental sound cannot be altered, even with EQ. It is rigid. Maybe you are lucky and will find captures that works for you. I rarely did.

On the other hand, with modelling I can sculpt the sound how I want and achieve a result that is closer to what I want. It is flexible.

But don't get me wrong: I never was satisfied with any guitar sound because it cannot and never will be perfect. Or if I am, then the next day comes and the search/quest starts over. I wonder how many people here can relate to that :tearsofjoy:.

Now that I have heard the difference, what would be the difference in having 300 Fractal amp models at your disposal or having 300 amps that were captured at your disposal? Now that I have heard difference, I would rather have captured amps more than modeled amps? Just an observation?

One difference is that the capture is made with the amp knobs (tone controls, gain, master) at certain position. That one may sound excellent, but if you want to move from there it may not be the same as tweaking the original amp. The Fractal modeling accurately reproduces all the knob adjustments.

Additionally, you have all the advanced amp parameters that you do not have on a capture

This whole capture thing bugs me. I like the way Fractal models the circuit and doesn’t just capture a tone from an amp. I think if I tweak a fractal circuit model I have a better chance of feeling like I’m tweaking an amp. With capture I feel like I would have to capture every tone I like from an amp. On some of my amps I’m all over the place tone wise. That would be a lot of captures for just one amp.

I have used and bought both tech. Out of the 300 captures, I will only like 3 (maybe). All the other captures will be disregarded because I won't like how they have been captured, and their fundamental sound cannot be altered, even with EQ. It is rigid. Maybe you are lucky and will find captures that works for you. I rarely did.

This post made me realize how much going through captures must feel like going through IRs on Fractal felt before DynaCabs came around.

That "auditioning" was easily the most tedious part of the whole process. Couldn't imagine if the amp selection process was also like that!

My thought process on this was more serious than some of my tongue in cheek posts. I was thinking if there is a product that may also work in conjunction with one of the fractal products maybe both would need some firmware tweaks the current product and the new product. For instance if it were a desk top type of controller. It was just a thought.

Old brain here, so please excuse....

I seem to remember Cliff making a statement about an idea for a new product about 10 months - 1 year ago?

Either he said something about profiling or people construed he was referencing profiling..... ugh....this is no help.

I'm thinking out loud. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Maybe that is the new product?

That's what I thought but Waffles being a real thing, maybe not? It's not that I think Fractal needs to do amp capturing at all. I have never owned an amp ever so I don't really care about that because all I know is Modeling gear but not going to lie, After this last NAMM Show and playing both the Kemper Player and the Tonex I can totally see the reason for it. I loved the Tonex so much I bought one! I have tried Tonex amp captures with same Fractal amp model version and I always like the Tonex version more?? I never thought I would say anything like that but for me it sounds more natural and raw? I started with an Ultra and now using FM9 but again there really is a difference when playing through a captured amp? I know it's subjective but I notice the difference more than I thought I would. Now that I have heard the difference, what would be the difference in having 300 Fractal amp models at your disposal or having 300 amps that were captured at your disposal? Now that I have heard difference, I would rather have captured amps more than modeled amps? Just an observation? And I'm not bashing on Fractal at all I've using Fractal for years. Here in my City I have only seen 4 guitar players including me using a fractal product live? Every body else playing is using Tonex, Kemper Player, or the Fiedman IRX-IRD. Im always asking what they think and why and hands down number one reason is they don't have to go through deep menu dives or pages of things to make small changes and just reach down turn a knob and your done and number 2 they are smaller and can use a smaller pedalboard? I am most likely wrong but if this ever happens I will jump at getting a Fractal pedal that you can download amp captures without hesitation?
Small format is absolutely possible but waffles is not commonly used in the ML world and wasn’t Cliffs joke. You don’t need to build a capture product to make a slimmed down pedal board Fractal.

For dialling in tones and amp exploring modelling is hands down king.

Profiling still has its place to take a snapshot of my real gear/chain and make a profile. It's obviously nowhere near as useful in the grand scheme but sometimes you just want a particular combo for a particular reason. I generally dont get joy out of cruising other peoples profiles and im sure other people probably find my stuff hit and miss. The only place it really shines for me is like a personal backup of some analog setup I dial in. So it still has its uses, but if you had to choose one then top tier modelling is a no brainer win over top tier capturing.

I don't understand why a pedal format with amp and cab block would be desirable? Presumably you'd be using such a product with a combo or a cab and head.

Wouldn't the inherent cab and amp color the tone enough to defeat the purpose of the modeling FAS has developed?

Asking out of living room Axe Fx-III + FRFR player ignorance.

A stompbox size unit with the sound of the AxeFX III would be a damn near insta buy. The FM3 is fairly portable, but compared to a stomp-box it's still bulky as eff.

If I could toss Fractal modeling in my laptop bag when I travel... especially if it's a USB interface as well? That kind of portability is hard to beat. Not only would it dominate in many live scenarios, you wouldn't have to compromise on tone for any kind of recording. A Macbook Air is more than capable these days. You could record album-quality guitar tones from literally anywhere on a whim.

I don't understand why a pedal format with amp and cab block would be desirable? Presumably you'd be using such a product with a combo or a cab and head.

Wouldn't the inherent cab and amp color the tone enough to defeat the purpose of the modeling FAS has developed?

Asking out of living room Axe Fx-III + FRFR player ignorance.
Personally, the amp+cab stomp box option's appeal is that I love my pedalboard already and would love to simply incorporate Fractal's amp modeling in there without the size of an FM3. That lets you play silently with headphones (assuming a headphone jack is in the unit or you already have another headphone solution like an audio interface), run through an FRFR, or turn off the cab/power amp modeling and plug into the FX Return of an amp to get the preamp modeling.

Something the size of an HX Stomp or smaller would be an immediate purchase for me. I really like Fractal's effects, but the main draw of the FM3 for my rig was the amp modeling.

Presumably you'd be using such a product with a combo or a cab and head.
Why? Guitar is no different than any other mic'd or recorded instrument i.e. it can be monitored with studio monitors or headphones.
I don't understand why a pedal format with amp and cab block would be desirable?
A lot of people still like their pedals and have incorporated pedalboard-friendly amp sims like the UA units, Iridium, etc, so they can run direct with their pedalboard without lugging around a separate amp or large amp modeler.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom