New 10.10 firmware thoughts?

^ guess what right does the Admin have?

Admins and Moderators can do what ever they want its their BB..Unlike some here im not sucking up to authority,I have done nothing wrong.If they delete my account cause I've said 1 negative thing in the whole month i've been a member here then so be it.My main concern was I'd do damage to the axe if I rolled back the FW.Thanks to some of the senior members for your advice.It is much appreciated...

I have done nothing wrong.

true. and people reacting to your statements, which some can call "rude," have done nothing wrong as well.

Yes I do feel 1010 is a failure compared to 09.And If I want to blast it here I will I have EVERY RIGHT TO.

as stated before, it's probably a failure because you are trying to control it with Axe-Edit Beta, software that doesn't work properly with version 10.10. you are blaming Fractal for user error, and that's why people are reacting to your statements a certain way.

i can drive a car into a wall, get a new car, drive it into a wall, etc over and over and continue to blame the car manufacturers that the car keeps breaking. i have every right to.

ok.

as stated before, it's probably a failure because you are trying to control it with Axe-Edit Beta, software that doesn't work properly with version 10.10.

i can drive a car into a wall, get a new car, drive it into a wall, etc over and over and continue to blame the car manufacturers that the car keeps breaking. i have every right to.

One thing I can't understand is that no one else that uses high gain amps (including myself) has come forward with the same issue that he is having....must be something local to his unit, or most likely something with AE...

a problem i see time and time again is that people buy an axe-fx ii because they've heard others use it or seen a lot of talk and good qualities about it.

they receive the unit and it requires a lot of learning and education to use compared to either their experience with other guitar gear or what they think the experience should be.

a lot of them come onto the forum frustrated because they can't do something and say things like "it's a failure" or "it sucks" or "it's stupid" etc, phrases that most people would consider rude and offensive to the company/creator. well, they feel they have the right to say these kinds of statements because they spent $2000+ and it should work exactly like they thought it would.

i think they are assuming the wrong things. yes it's a great device that many are using successfully. it doesn't mean that you can use it successfully from the beginning, and because you can't do something doesn't mean the device is stupid.

So because everyone else likes it I have I have to? TROLL? WTF? Not my style, l have no time for that BS .I paid
the same 2k you did.If I dont like something I'll say something,but if it hurts your feelings im sure youll learn to deal...BTW I have reinstalled the new fw several times and each time it sounded just as bad as its previous install.

How many presets are you talking about?

How wrong you are,see I updated this last night before I went to bed,so I played with it a bit.Didnt like what I heard right from the get go unlike when I first got the axe right outta the box was shear heaven and like most of us I work for a living so I have not had any chance yet to fix anything.All Im saying is I dont like what I heard!!!!!!Cant understand why people like you have a hard time with someone else's opinion.Dude grow up.I dont like what I heard and thats finale.Yes I do feel 1010 is a failure compared to 09.And If I want to blast it here I will I have EVERY RIGHT TO.

Not liking what you hear after a firmware update is part of the firmware updating process.
The next part is re-tweaking your presets to *take advantage* of the new things in the new firmware.
Sounds like this might be the first time you've updated the firmware or the first time that you've done so with a firmware release that involves new Amp Block parameters.
Well, now you know.

And it doesn't follow that just because you're too inexperienced a user to know that you have to update your presets doesn't mean that 10.10 is a "failure".

Sheesh.

In a typical amp Input Drive is called various names (Drive, Volume, Gain, etc). It is the knob closest to the input jack. In many cases this potentiometer has a bright cap on it so the frequency response will be dependent on the knob position.

In some amps there is also a second drive control. This is your Overdrive knob. It does not have a bright cap so it only affects the gain.

Input Trim is something you shouldn't play with normally unless you want to deviate from the actual amp. Input Trim allows you to reduce or increase the gain of the virtual amps input buffer. This is analogous to changing the type of tube for V1 in an actual amp. Some people like less gain for V1 so will replace a 12AX7 with a 12AT7. Some people want a little more gain.

Can we get this in the wiki? I know I'm going to want to refer back to it in the future and won't be able to find it. :)

How wrong you are,see I updated this last night before I went to bed,so I played with it a bit.Didnt like what I heard right from the get go unlike when I first got the axe right outta the box was shear heaven and like most of us I work for a living so I have not had any chance yet to fix anything.All Im saying is I dont like what I heard!!!!!!Cant understand why people like you have a hard time with someone else's opinion.Dude grow up.I dont like what I heard and thats finale.Yes I do feel 1010 is a failure compared to 09.And If I want to blast it here I will I have EVERY RIGHT TO.

OK, I've seen you complain and argue over and over again but have yet to see you mention what amps are different and if you've tried setting the Overdrive to 8.00. I also noticed the gain was different for the amps that now have Overdrive and I simply asked Cliff if setting the Overdrive to 8.00 will put it back to pre 10.10 settings and he said yes. Have you tried that? I set my amps to 8.00 and they were identical to 10.09. You're entitled to your opinion but it seems like your complaining about a problem to which the solution has already been given. What specifically in 10.10 is a failure compared to 10.09? Is it just the sound of the 10.10 amps that now have overdrive? That solution is above. None of the other amps should have changed if you have a problem with another amp could you please mention which amp it is and maybe post a preset? I have no problem trying to help you but honestly it just seems like you're caught up in a rant at this point.

In a typical amp Input Drive is called various names (Drive, Volume, Gain, etc). It is the knob closest to the input jack. In many cases this potentiometer has a bright cap on it so the frequency response will be dependent on the knob position.

In some amps there is also a second drive control. This is your Overdrive knob. It does not have a bright cap so it only affects the gain.

Also, there are some amps where the bright cap is on the second drive pot.
Now that we have the two gain pots in the AMP block I'd love to see a Kasha Rockmod II Burn channel in the Axe ;)

In real amps, pots and tube/caps interacts, so the pot setting does affect both tone and gain; the bright cap is there to counteract these effects. It's up to the amp producer to choose what behaviour is needed; in the axefx maybe there is a third option, the "idealized" situation in which the tone is not changed. Good to know! :)

I am not adverse to improvements,IMO the amps sounded great in FW 10.09,Just find it strange that one guy complains about reverb and thats addressed yet there are other more important issues.Now all my high gain amps sound like S**T,almost no saturation,way to much treble and this input level /drive thing.Drive yes but input level? Unless they mean input trim no such thing in ax edit unless I missed something.While I really appreciate the updates,how about updating the editor,cause ax edit beta(the only one that works with fw 10) crashes all the time.

the Reverb improvements may have already been planned before one guy compained about it. Set overdrive to 8 to get your tone back. Again you will not see Overdrive in Axe-edit you have to use the front panel. Also the release note outline which amps use this feature.

The editor in its current version is dead. Fractal Audio has stated there will be no more updates for it. The person the wrote it is no longer with the company. Fractal Audio has designed a new one from the ground up with a new developer. It has more than one person working on it full-time. You can check its progress in the news section under the developers diary. They are doing their best to keep users informed of the progress. Rock solid stability is paramount for them.

While you are certainly entitled to your opinion, solutions either exist or are forth-coming for you complaints. While you did nothing wrong with the update, you must do an additional steps from the front panel of the Axe-fx. One of those is set the Overdrive to 8 to get you tone on certain amps back.

The amp modeling is IDENTICAL between 10.09 and 10.10 with the exception of those models that now have the Overdrive control. If you set the Overdrive control to 8.00 the model will be IDENTICAL to 10.09. No one else is experiencing issues. Yours is an isolated case therefore the logical conclusion is that something is improperly configured. It's not a firmware problem. The sooner you are able to accept this fact the sooner we can get on to solving your configuration issue.

before 10.10 - the AxeFx was a great amp modeler, now with 10.10 it's no longer a modeler - it's magic!!!

I don't think modeling the Bricasti is possible ;)
It uses far too many reverb engines (6 IIRC) to start with...

True. If you are looking for an interesting little piece of kit to play around with, you could always find Samplicity's Bricasti IRs that they shot and based off the M7. With the right EQs they actually sit quite nicely, and are really low on CPU if you are using something like Space Designer.

Past firmware releases are available here:
axefx.fr

And using Axe Edit is just plain dangerous at the moment.
Don't do it.
Do your editing from the front panel of the Axe until the new version of Axe-Edit comes out.

I appreciate this as we each have our experiences and yet I use AXE-EDIT exclusively and it is stable and fast if you understand any current shortcomings.
Just plain dangerous? To edit with AXE-EDIT? Personally that would be a big big stretch for me to offer to another user.

Back
Top Bottom