New 10.10 firmware thoughts?

I appreciate this as we each have our experiences and yet I use AXE-EDIT exclusively and it is stable and fast if you understand any current shortcomings.
Just plain dangerous? To edit with AXE-EDIT? Personally that would be a big big stretch for me to offer to another user.

Well good luck then.
But the potential for corrupted presets increases the longer you do that.
And there may be things going on in the data that don't cause any noticeable sonic artifacts at the moment but might do so later on.

Not such a stretch for me to offer advice like that to a novice user.
Someone who's more experienced has a better grasp of the risks/rewards involved.

Well, when the owner of the company kinda says don't use axe-edit for now...

Thanks to both, I have read the pros and cons and understand the 'risks'. I am also a professional in pro audio / computer and pay attention to the interaction of my hardware/software gear and the way my systems run as well as 'when' this particular software glitches. This does not make it any more or less stable, but after roughly 1200 + hours so far I don't feel in danger per se despite common AXE-EDIT glitches and occasional crashes.

'Kinda says' has no value to anybody. It either is or it isn't dangerous. It was recommended by tech support (Brian) when I bought the AXE FX to download it and use it for my needs.

Question for Cliff: If the AXE-EDIT software is so dangerous that you, the 'owner' of the company advises against it (due to its corruptible nature to your #1 product) why is available in the download section? Beta or not. This seems like a fast way to get new units sent back for repair or an overload of tech support calls due to negligence. Can you confirm this?

Last edited:
I feel like I can't join the party- I, too, have shows coming up, and I don't have the time to re-work my presets.

Oh well, there's always August.

Sigh...

Yep that is where I was with v8.01 - until I updated the AxeII and my MFC this week.

I need to rework all of my gig-tested patches, but it will be worth as the dynamics are simply awesome.

'Kinda says' has no value to anybody.

Ok fine. He has flat out said don't use it at one point.

It's a no-win situation for Fractal. People complained there was no editor. So he begrudgingly released a beta that was limited and had some issues. Many thanked him but many continued to complain that it didn't work fully.

The new one is coming out at some point. I'm glad that edit works for you because many don't take the time to see what works and what doesn't.

Ok fine. He has flat out said don't use it at one point.

It's a no-win situation for Fractal. People complained there was no editor. So he begrudgingly released a beta that was limited and had some issues. Many thanked him but many continued to complain that it didn't work fully.

The new one is coming out at some point. I'm glad that edit works for you because many don't take the time to see what works and what doesn't.

Sure, thanks. I understand. Actually I was talking about Cliff when I said 'kinda says' has no value.

As far as an editor, AXE-EDIT is brilliant. The GUI is big, layed out intuitively, fast edits, fast block reanges, big visual routing/cabling, fast fast compared to the front panel. It is an exciting GUI. Just glitchy and unstable in relationship to other software. But my main concern is I genuinely want to hear from Cliff or Fractal. Despite my basic trouble free use (which means occasional crashes which never affects the hardware in use at the time and single file re-boot from program files (30 sec task). I want to know is it really dangerous? It doesn't make sense that it is. AXE-EDIT is not controlling the AXE-FX. AXE FX is reading data from AXE-EDIT via USB for saving and tweaks, but in the end, AXE FX is master.

Sorry to get off topic a bit.

So here is an on-topic contribution in alignment with AXE-EDIT also. 10.10 is brilliant considering how much I loved 10.9 from last week :lol. It did affect my two main presets for a recording session I was working on both using ODS-100 LEAD 2 amps stacked. The gain went down. I noticed via the front panel that this amp now had INPUT gain and OVERDRIVE. I was able to get my precise gain setting back by increasing the input drive gain with AXE-EDIT. AXE-EDIT still controlled the input gain, but had no available knob for the OVERDRIVE. Otherwise all worked perfectly as before.

Cheers!~

Sure, thanks. I understand. Actually I was talking about Cliff when I said 'kinda says' has no value.

As far as an editor, AXE-EDIT is brilliant. The GUI is big, layed out intuitively, fast edits, fast block reanges, big visual routing/cabling, fast fast compared to the front panel. It is an exciting GUI. Just glitchy and unstable in relationship to other software. But my main concern is I genuinely want to hear from Cliff or Fractal. Despite my basic trouble free use (which means occasional crashes which never affects the hardware in use at the time and single file re-boot from program files (30 sec task). I want to know is it really dangerous? It doesn't make sense that it is. AXE-EDIT is not controlling the AXE-FX. AXE FX is reading data from AXE-EDIT via USB for saving and tweaks, but in the end, AXE FX is master.

Sorry to get off topic a bit.

So here is an on-topic contribution in alignment with AXE-EDIT also. 10.10 is brilliant considering how much I loved 10.9 from last week :lol. It did affect my two main presets for a recording session I was working on both using ODS-100 LEAD 2 amps stacked. The gain went down. I noticed via the front panel that this amp now had INPUT gain and OVERDRIVE. I was able to get my precise gain setting back by increasing the input drive gain with AXE-EDIT. AXE-EDIT still controlled the input gain, but had no available knob for the OVERDRIVE. Otherwise all worked perfectly as before.

Cheers!~

I wouldn't say "dangerous", but be aware that it's glitchy and has caused grief for some and corrupted some presets in a few cases it appears. Seems to work OK for some, not so good for others.

I was flipping through some of my presets today & realized that I hadn't reset the amp models on any of my existing 10.09 patches. On my 65 Bassman patch, I switched to another amp & back and was greeted with a much different sounding patch. After doing some investigating, I found that resetting that amp turned on the BRT switch, changed the COMP, DEPTH, DYN PRES, and DYNAMICS values (my MASTER is already on 10.00).

I'm assuming that we should reset the amp block on the amps that now have OVERDRIVE, but should we reset the others, too?

I've been waiting a little because i did not want to loose all my favorite songs during recording sessions, and i was waiting for an AxeEdit version not in beta ...
I've upgraded yesterday from V8.02 to V10.10. and add the V10 banks.
With no surprise i've lost all my favorite songs.
I've restored the presets i had backed up before, and then tried the compatibility mode in "Global" Settings, but this not helped.
So i started to tweak to restore my favorites song. Sometime i had to add drive blocks that doesn't exist before in the ring.
i found the sounds less open than before, more compressed. Finally i found that this upgrade will give me a lot of work, for what result if i need to retreive the songs i had in V8.
Finally i switched back to V8 !
Sorry.

a problem i see time and time again is that people buy an axe-fx ii because they've heard others use it or seen a lot of talk and good qualities about it.

they receive the unit and it requires a lot of learning and education to use compared to either their experience with other guitar gear or what they think the experience should be.

a lot of them come onto the forum frustrated because they can't do something and say things like "it's a failure" or "it sucks" or "it's stupid" etc, phrases that most people would consider rude and offensive to the company/creator. well, they feel they have the right to say these kinds of statements because they spent $2000+ and it should work exactly like they thought it would.

i think they are assuming the wrong things. yes it's a great device that many are using successfully. it doesn't mean that you can use it successfully from the beginning, and because you can't do something doesn't mean the device is stupid.

totally,

unfortunatley people today are selfish and have far to much of a 'me first and fuck everyone else attitude'. People dont want to learn they just want to have, and have now!

Those people also generally arent very good with articulating their own shortcomings and generally will try and put the blame elsewhere.

therefore 'axe fx II sucks' etc

These people should be ignored until they grow up.

I've been waiting a little because i did not want to loose all my favorite songs during recording sessions, and i was waiting for an AxeEdit version not in beta ...
I've restored the presets i had backed up before, and then tried the compatibility mode in "Global" Settings, but this not helped.
So i started to tweak to restore my favorites song. Sometime i had to add drive blocks that doesn't exist before in the ring.
i found the sounds less open than before, more compressed. Finally i found that this upgrade will give me a lot of work, for what result if i need to retreive the songs i had in V8.
Sorry.

IME bandaids like "adding a drive/eq/whatever block" to compensate for changes in the amp block won't work and can make things worse; adding another gain stage (e.g., a drive block) could be the cause of the less open, more compressed sound and feel you describe. To me v10 actually is more open and dynamic than ever before.
My advice would be to stay on v8 until you have the time to create your patches from scratch - I'm quite sure you'll be rewarded with better tones.
On a side note: after v10 with MIMIC, massive changes to the amp sounds should be a thing of the past and time spent now dialing your tones is time well spent and not wasted.
Best regards!

Seb

Yep that is where I was with v8.01 - until I updated the AxeII and my MFC this week.

I need to rework all of my gig-tested patches, but it will be worth as the dynamics are simply awesome.

I have shows too.....at first I was gonna wait. But decided to just upgrade firmware. Wasn't too bad to re-tweak and I have over 40 presets. Most were fine. Some needed gain, level, master adjustments. Overall...other updates were worse in this regard. I was on 10.00 when I updated to 10.10 FYI.

I was flipping through some of my presets today & realized that I hadn't reset the amp models on any of my existing 10.09 patches. On my 65 Bassman patch, I switched to another amp & back and was greeted with a much different sounding patch. After doing some investigating, I found that resetting that amp turned on the BRT switch, changed the COMP, DEPTH, DYN PRES, and DYNAMICS values (my MASTER is already on 10.00).

I'm assuming that we should reset the amp block on the amps that now have OVERDRIVE, but should we reset the others, too?

No they weren't touched. you don't need to do it for the overdrive ones either (although you may want to just to start fresh). Just set the overdrive to 8 to get it back where it was before the update.

I just upraded my studio monitors to adam f7's.I am hearing the axe in a whole new way.At first I didn't like what I was hearing because it was different.Probably because I had not heard whats in the axe with such clarity.When new amps or modeling is released the first place I head is the cab block.Once I find a cab that gets me close to what I am looking for I adjust the basic amp controls and call it a day.I haven't felt the need to go beyond that in the last several firmwares.I usually gravitate towards the marshall tv and ax cab mixes.But I found moving out of my comfort zone and using my ears yielded better results.For example the 4x10 super reverb sounds great with high gain amps.Not something I would normally consider! In the analog realm I spent far more time chasing down amps, cabs, tube combinations and speaker changes than I have ever spent tweaking a new firmware.The fact that I can now do it from my studio chair at my liesure is really a 10.

My advice would be to stay on v8 until you have the time to create your patches from scratch
Seb

Yes thank's this is my opinion too, i won't stay to V8 until the AXEFX III :mrgreen

but this could be great if the compatibility mode in Global Settings could let us dealing with differents version of firmware.

For example the 4x10 super reverb sounds great with high gain amps.
Yeah that one really surprised me as well. I tried it first with my TripTik patch because Cliff mentioned in another thread that he liked the 4x10s with the TripTik. I liked it so much that I have used it on several other high gain patches since. I tend to mix it with another cab to fill things out a bit, but it gives a specific tone that I really like in my gain patches.

Sorry.

FW10 is WAY more open than any version prior.

The code is as follows: Notnlikebe4.Switchback. Question from a user of tube etc for 25 years: what did you do before? Those amps did not sound equal from day to day. Sell amps every day???? Did someone tweak your amp from day one???

Moody amps is easily handled. Sell it by turning the wheel. Try a new one for free. OR.... Try the same amp by twisting availeble knobs. Like we use to.

THAT's how you cure your GAS :D

Back
Top Bottom