Most Underrated guitar solos of all time

Last edited:
Palygap, regarding Nono of the French band Trust, I've always considered him one of the best kept secrets of the classic rock guitar genre. I'd take him over Slash any day. His chorus on many songs are priceless, besides "L'élite", "Saumur" and "Palace" comes to my mind now. The man has the touch, the sound and the feel

Here are a few great solos from not so well known bands

Bebop Deluxe - Bill Nelson - a fantastic songwriter and guitarist!
Be Bop Deluxe Blazing Live Jam 1977 - YouTube or Be Bop Deluxe - Ships In The Night - YouTube (about 2:35)

finnish master guitarist Jukka Tolonen
Jukka Tolonen - Ramblin´ - YouTube (brillant player - about 20yrs old on this clip.....)

Uk's best blues band! The Hoax with guitarist Jesse Davey
The Hoax - "Jesse Davey Guitar Solo" - Moulin Blues Fest - The Netherlands 1998 - YouTube

my fav fusion guitarist is from austria - Mr. Karl Ratzer - what a player!
A JazzMan Dean Upload - Karl Ratzer - In Search Of The Ghost - Jazz Fusion - YouTube

(do you guys know that Karl teamed up with Chaka Kahn back in 1970 - this guy is a unkown jazz-funk-rock legend)

here is one more....

KARL RATZER + JEFF BERLIN - Rock on the Bottom(1979).wmv - YouTube

and nothing without the master of echoplex - Mr. Tommy Bolin!
Tommy Bolin - Stratus - Live 1974 - YouTube

one more???

Danny!!!! Danny Gatton with the redneck jazz explosion! With Buddy Emmons on pedal steel guitar...

Redneck Jazz Explosion - Danny Gatton - YouTube

I love that shit!

Reactions: gpz
plexi59, you had me discover something really awfully likable, IMHO. Thanks. Enjoyed that solo a damn real lot ... and still am.

To me, it's the kind of solo that makes me wonder if it is all worth it to have intro, singing, chorus and all these stuffs that makes up a good song.It makes me fell like saying: " Go strait to the really fun stuff" (or "Cut the crap out").:lol Only joking, I also like nice an sweet words in songs.

Sorry if it sounds like SoloSophy.:roll

It's like that old Gibson ad that says: "Lyrics. Wasted time between solos." I agree with that wholeheartedly. Over a half the stuff in my music library has no words at all. :)

obviously everything Holdsworth does is amazing (to me), but nobody ever talks about his solo in Tullio. somehow he manages to make the whole thing almost sound like a "head"...it's so melodic and in tune with the dynamics of the backing....and yet he still manages to display some mind-boggling techinque. i saw him around this time (93/94) and his playing during this period was just off the scale.

from the beginning to 3:00....magical...

oh and whoever suggested that solo on tears for fears' rule the world...i agree totally...superb piece of playing...wasn't that roy buchanan?

oh and whoever suggested that solo on tears for fears' rule the world...i agree totally...superb piece of playing...wasn't that roy buchanan?

nope - apparently it was a session guy called Neil Taylor...someone in another forum contacted him through myspace and asked him what gear he used on the recording.. he says - it was a gordon smith guitar...dont know which model...straight into a roland jazz chorus with the amp distortion button on, if my memory serves me...that is! regards neil

Phil Keaggy was one of the guitarists I listened to constantly from the mid-70s and decades following. Incredible player, but also a really nice guy and solid family man. When I first met the Lord, I was looking for music I could listen to that fed my soul and musical needs at the same time. Phil was a huge bridge for me and showed me that you could be a great and Godly guitarist at the same time, and also not have to sound like a hymnal. That was a revelation for an aspiring teenage guitar player in the 70s. Sorry for the offramp... Just glad to see Phil here. Met him several times, always extremely open and humble.

many Triumph solos, and odd was thinking the other day NO LOVE ON THIS BOARD FOR STEVE MORSE, this guy literally can play anything anyone else can and more and better! A major inspiration for Petrucci.

symphx said:
many Triumph solos, and odd was thinking the other day NO LOVE ON THIS BOARD FOR STEVE MORSE, this guy literally can play anything anyone else can and more and better! A major inspiration for Petrucci.

I have lots of Morse love. How about outro solo from "Night Meets Light" off "What If?". Ethereal. I loved the Dixie Dregs. Morse has a stunning command of a wide array of tones and styles.

I've always loved these solos:

- "One Stage Before" by Al Stewart on Year of The Cat by Tim Renwick
- "I Was Only Joking" by Rod Stewart
- "Have Mercy on the Criminal" by Elton John. His guitarist back in the day IMHO always had some nice melodic riffs: Dirty Little Girl, All The Girls Love Alice, Love Lies Bleeding, etc.
- "Since I've Been Loving You" by Led Zep ... not sure this is underrated but man what a screamer

Back
Top Bottom