Most Underrated guitar solos of all time

Does ANYONE really feel like 'do you feel like we do' is underrated? Hey, I love that solo, but for god's sake, it was all over the radio and still is. Please, surprise us with stuff we've never heard (and thanks to you who've done just that!).

I 2nd the Tears for Fears solo.

I'm also a fan of simplicity so my vote goes to the outro solo to the Smiths "Stop Me if You Think You've Heard This One Before."

Boston - Hitch a ride : Barry Goudreau and Tom Scholz

Very melodic, great structuring and, again, very melodic duelling

The best Boston solo to me.

Boston - Hitch a ride : Barry Goudreau and Tom Scholz
Very melodic, great structuring and, again, very melodic duelling
The best Boston solo to me.

Agreed. Like "Peruvian Skies" by Dream Theater, "Hitch a Ride" starts as an acoustic ballad but grows into a monster guitar song. I love the excellent harmonizing between Barry & Tom.

At the other end of the spectrum, there is Glenn Tipton's in-your-face crushing lead from "Delivering the Goods" by Judas Priest (solo starts at 1:54).

Judas Priest Delivering The Goods - YouTube

As the tab transcribers from Guitar magazine quipped about Glenn's solo, "If you can play this lead, then you do not need us!" :D

A lot of this is highly rated, but it felt weird leaving these out.

Larry Carlton - Song for Katie
Bill Nelson/Be Bop Deluxe - Crying to the Sky
Elliot Easton / Cars - You're all I've got Tonight
Howard Leese / Heart - Magic Man
Neal Schon / Journey - Wheel in the Sky
The solo on Baker Street
The solo on Easy
Every solo on Frampton Comes Alive
Every solo on UFO Strangers in the Night
ANY solo from...choke...Christopher Cross's first album (Take you pick of Larry Carlton, Eric Johnston, Jay Graydon)

Last edited:
Before Martin Axenrot came along and helped turn Opeth into a wank-fest, Pater Lindgren was laying down odd-time lead lines that flowed seemlessly with the background guitar. At 4:01 -

Opeth - Deliverance - YouTube

Jerry Cantrell is no slouch either. At 1:14 -

alice in chains - dirt - them bones - YouTube
Don't you mean Fredrik Åkesson. Martin Axernot is the drummer of Opeth. Lindgren was a very different player Akesson has his own style. But yes I miss Lindgren's playing.

"Hold On" from the Yes 90125 album. Solos all over that song, including some awesome lead harmonies towards the end. Trevor Rabin rocks (and now you see his name at the end of numerous movies preceded by "Soundtrack by...")! Now I could go on about Steve Howe and all the great stuff he's done, like Heart of the Sunrise, South Side of the Sky, Machine Messiah (from the lesser known Drama album with the Buggles guys), but I won't gush on about him. ;)

1)Frank Zappa - Inca Roads, from the album One Size Fits All. Interestingly, the solo was from a live concert in helsinki. It was edited and then slipped into the studio track. It's masterful, goes through many moods, is a 'thinking man's solo': not expected, not simple, technically and emotionally complex, and it ends triumphantly with a flourish of Zappa'a patented 'Bulgarian Bagpipe' notes - which sound amazingly bag-pipe-ish, but were done via technique (forcing all kinds of warped 'false' harmonics using unusual pick mashing), not with effects.

I never learned to play it - perhaps I should - but it was always a sort of 'sacred' solo that I didn't want to screw up.

2) Carrie Brownstein, 'Quarter to Three' from the Album The Hot Rock. brownstein, rated @ #45 in Rolling Stones most underrated guitarists of all, does a simple, tasteful, also surprising and not-play-by-numbers poppy-yet-sad-solo
3) Neil Young, Cinnamon Girl from the Album Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere. perhaps not 'underrated' - some love it - but certainly the ultimate anti-solo solo.

Maybe unconventional choice, but most of the solos from side one of Ommadawn (or Tubular Bells for that matter) by Mike Oldfield, ...it's what started me thinking about playing guitar.... (Gary Moore, Dave Gilmour and others followed later)

Tasty session player, Jay Graydon. Huge talent but virtually unknown outside the AOR circles... His work is often overlooked IMHO.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom