Most Underrated guitar solos of all time

My whole goal in doing SoloAWeek was to showcase my all time favs of under-appreciated solos. Anything I'd list here, I've either done for SoloAWeek or will do in coming weeks.

My all time favorite overlooked solo, though, is probably either Jessie's Girl or Lullaby by Shawn Mullins.

Two come to mind...

1. Mark Farner - Grand Funk Railroad - inside looking out. FACE MELTER!!!

2. Alvin Lee - Ten Years After - I'd love to change the world. Tasty and beautifully phrased.

Not sure who played the solo, but Evil Woman on Spooky Tooth's Spooky Two. Don't care much for the song (mostly the singing), but the guitarist has a great tone and just kills the solos.

I'd also vote for Blackmore's solos on Sweet Child in Time (Deep Purple in Rock). Must have melted the frets.

Solo in Lionel Ritchie's Hello. Seriously. 100% feel.

From 3.30.

That was Louie Shelton. He's an American (Arkansas I believe) but he moved to Australia in the mid-80s and opened a studio in Sydney. He gave me my first ever session gig when I was a young'un. He went on to produce some very successful Australian bands such as Noiseworks.

The most underrated guitar solo of all time would be any of the ones on my album.

They are underrated because they have never been rated because no one ever freaking heard them!

Ron Thal - Q Fever - Adventures of Bumblefoot: Ron Thal - Q Fever - YouTube
Monte Montgomery - Little Wing - I saw myself in the audience at this show: Monte Montgomery - "Little Wing" - All Souls - Tulsa, OK - 4/9/10 - YouTube
Michael Hedges - Ritual Dance: Michael Hedges - Ritual Dance - YouTube

+1 on Baker Street above
Saw Monte at my music college and I met him. I own the Alvarez signature modle of his. Phenomenal guitar and he is such an amazing guitar player.

Very happy to see all the love for Martin Barre here :) That was the name I immediately thought of when I read the name of the thread. From a slightly more metal perspective I would have to mention Jorn Viggo Lofstad from Pagan's Mind and Jorn Lande's solo stuff. Oh, and speaking of Jorn Lande, check out Tore Ostby (Conception/Ark).

Funny, I could name a lot of players, but less by way of particular solos.

Lindley's sound on lap steel is one of the greatest tones ever for my ears. I loved seeing/hearing El Rayo X in the 80s.

When I saw that Running On Empty tour, he sat on the edge of the stage and played the lap steel through a Marshall stack. IIRC, it was an early 70's Super Lead? Tone was jaw dropping live.

But he had his hair over his face and looked down mostly, a little creepy lol

Back
Top Bottom