Most Underrated guitar solos of all time

Last edited:
This version of "thrill is gone" is not too known AFAIK. I think the solo has a lot of blues in it. Starts at the beginning and then 5:38.

Don't ming the silly Eiffel Tower stuff, that has nothing to do with the song. Unfortunately that's all I could find on YouTube.

Anyone remember of Raymond Gomez in here?

Blues For Mez by Ray Gomez - YouTube

same tune, a live cut here (more of a licks-showcase, sure it was a live guest appearance at G.I.T - whatelse you would expect - for me, I like his album version much better....but there is almost nothing "new" from him on YT)
RAY GOMEZ LIVE AT GIT 07-31-86 - BLUES FOR MEZ.mp4 - YouTube

for those who saying "Ray who?" - you all might heart him playing here!
Stanley Clarke - Schooldays (with Ray Gomez) Montreux 1977 - YouTube

I learned the school days solo in college. Thought Gomez was great. Had forgotten all about him.

Another great solo from Steve Lukather is the outro of The Tubes "Talk To Ya Later" from The Completion Backwards Principle.

My favorite "underrated" solo is Larry Carlton's double tracked wonder on Third World Man - Steely Dan - Gaucho album

Dickie Betts, Stormy Monday, Live at Fillmore East - Everyone gushes over Duane Allman's solo on this one, but I find it a tad predictable. Betts' solo, on the other hand, with its jazzy and risky tangents, just thrills me. I love a solo that builds slowly and reaches a really beautiful crescendo.

That was the first solo I ever learned note for note. It's beautifully constructed and builds to a perfect climax. I had a silverface Princeton Reverb and didn't even know what a drive pedal was for about 10 years, so my amp sounded nothing like Duane, whose 50 watt Marshalls were driving like crazy.

There are so many great solos, but a couple of underknown ones are Snooks Eaglin's solo on Black Night off Teasin You. It's a Stormy Monday style blues and he doubles his lines with his voice. Another is almost any version of "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed" by the Allman Brothers from 97-99, Jack Pearson's solo. Jack is a Nashville guy who can play anything from fingerpicked country blues to smoking modern jazz (and also ate Duane Allman whole when learning guitar). Jack has more chops and an infinitely deeper jazz background than anyone who ever played with them and it really shows on this solo. When asked about players he likes, Derek Trucks always puts Jack at or near the top of the pile. Jack Pearson guitar solo on In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed - YouTube

Back
Top Bottom