Incoming! Incoming! Incoming!

I tested and the delays sound fine.
Thanks....I'll give that a try. I've been trying to figure out how to deal with the potential issues with "Sum L+R". I guess as long as your not doing stereo cabs or other configurations where losing a channel would impact the tone that s/b OK.

I keep everything mono and panned straight up. How many times do you guys play somewhere where FOH is mixed in stereo?

No doubt it's cool sounding. I do it at home all the time but I can't remember ever playing a gig that was mixed in stereo. Just haven't hit the big time yet I guess.
I'm only 50 so I still have time.....................

Okay, here are my Axe-Fx II presets so far. Firmware 1.04.

>> Zipped file

Credit for part of the creativity goes to other forum members and factory presets.

Alex,
I pulled down your generous offering of presets last night about 2:45am last night and hit the trail this morning at 7:15am, Axe II in hand. I was invited to play with the new worship director at our church. I usually run the desk for house sound at church, so guitar isn't my regular line up. We had a mic'd acoustic kit, keys, 2 BGV's, bass guitar, the worship director leading the affair on a nice Martin acoustic, and myself on the Axe II + PRS Custom 22. I was running a K10 for a wedge off of Output 2, and Output 1 was mono to the desk. Usually I run a K12 which I prefer, but I wanted to keep the load to a minimum so I took the K10.

Anyway, I dialed up a new bank of 5 presets on the MFC which included a Deluxe Verb with a little gooch (delay, verb, and some rotary on a pedal), a Euro Blue for a little grind, and your violin patch. That patch is the bomb. I had tweaked the PEQ on it a little, switched up the cab, and adjusted some of the gains a tad to prevent some clipping, but other than than, I ran it straight out of the box. It sounded beautiful. With a subtle touch on the PRS tremolo bar, that thing sounded like the real deal.
Afterwards, the gentleman running the desk asked, "Man, what did you do with your guitar rig? It sounded awesome." He was blown away at how 'BIG' everything sounded through FOH. I heard it too. Full, articulate, musical. Lovely. I had at least ten people come up to me and comment on how great it sounded.

With contributions like yours, and all the help Scott Peterson provided, I'm loving this black box more by the minute. I've got a looooong way to go but I'm sure enjoying the journey.

Many thanks for all you've done to help guys like me along.

Joe Hinkens

BTW, I passed the audition. ;)

I keep everything mono and panned straight up. How many times do you guys play somewhere where FOH is mixed in stereo?

No doubt it's cool sounding. I do it at home all the time but I can't remember ever playing a gig that was mixed in stereo. Just haven't hit the big time yet I guess.

Not doing stereo to FOH but would like to have my patches (planning for the II) duel purpose so I can go stereo at home if I want. I'd like to work out a way to go stereo into my IEM's. I've heard some guys say how they do this. We use Aviom's but my signal into that is mono so I'd need to sub mix into a stereo mixer with the aviom mix I think.

:)

I only play stereo at home too. That's the Out1 routing.

Installed firmware 1.05, went problemfree.
This update solves all the minor bugs I've encountered, kudos to Fractal.
The Output knobs don't have "zipper" noise anymore, and fully CCW they now mute the sound.
There's a little delay when operating these knobs, but that's a good trade-off and easy to get used to.
The Value knob can now scroll from preset 383 to 1 (and vice versa), makes it much more userfriendly.

Last edited:
Do you put duct tape over the inputs to keep dust out? Would there be any issues with overheating? That seems like a good idea.

Do you put duct tape over the inputs to keep dust out? Would there be any issues with overheating? That seems like a good idea.
Heck, I put duct tape on my furniture to keep the dust off. :)

On a more serious note...I don't know whether you're funnin' us or not (sorry about that, either way ;) ). But I can't think of any advantage that duct tape will bring to the table. Even without the tape, the inside of your Axe-FX will probably be the cleanest thing in your rack. But what the heck...go ahead. Overheating won't be a problem.

P.S.: I just had a look through the recent posts in this thread and found out why you asked the question. Yek does indeed have tape over his jacks. Alex, my brother, you got some explaining to do! :) I'll bet it's to keep the beer out of the Axe.

I used to tape over unused inputs to keep roadies from plugging into the wrong hole.
On and off stage!

P.S.: I just had a look through the recent posts in this thread and found out why you asked the question. Yek does indeed have tape over his jacks. Alex, my brother, you got some explaining to do! :) I'll bet it's to keep the beer out of the Axe.

It's there to prevent all the little bits from escaping the unit. I spent too much time training them to become good presets and I'm sure as hell not gonna let them escape to somewhere else.

Nah, the purpose is just like Xrocker writes, to prevent making wrong connections, especially when doing it "blind" (no view on the rear side).

Nah, the purpose is just like Xrocker writes, to prevent making wrong connections, especially when doing it "blind" (no view on the rear side).
Clever idea. I've gone to the wrong jack once or twice myself.

Oh well, you were young, you wanted to try things before you die, we understand. So they were all called Jack?

;)
I guess I asked for that. :)

And no, only one was called Jack. I wondered why her voice was so low.

Hmm, at the moment Axe-Edit seems to have a problem with amp blocks when exporting presets.
This means you may hear no sound after loading one of my presets.

I'm experimenting with LF Res Freq (amp block) to match the Axe-Fx better with my cabs with EVM speakers.

The Dr.Z sim has a nasty resonance in the low end. Something's not right there.

One of my most favorite hi-gain sims at the moment is the Fryette (More mode). Heavy, yet articulate.

And here are a couple of handy tips:
- If the output is clipping during a gig, don't go adjusting all your precious presets, save that for later. For the moment just go to Global EQ and turn down Gain to solve the clipping. Then turn the Out1 or Out2 knob to compensate for loss of volume.
- There's a way to see if a preset uses any modifiers/controllers. Press Control and scroll to the last tab. There you have it. Good to know when auditioning presets from other users.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom