Incoming! Incoming! Incoming!

OwnHammer TC30 IRs for Axe-Fx II (to use with my EVM cabinets) and acoustic IR ready to upload: check.

Yek, you may find that the Axe II is SO clear that your taste in 3rd Party IR's changes.
I've done alot of listening with virtually the entire Redwirez and Ownhammer collections.
I've found that the IR's I love best now are the Redwirez taken with TC-30 and KM-84 mics.

In the Ultra I really liked the Ownhammers for their trebley clarity. I find them a bit bright with
the II now. I've gone to other mic IRs with OH, most often the SM57. However, the Redwirez TC-30
2048 point IR's just shine with the Axe II.

If you find, as I did, that the Ownhammers are pretty bright, try RW TC-30 mic IR's afterwards. I think
you'll be pleasantly surprised. For a real kick, compare them to the stock cab RW IR's cab for cab
and see how much clearer the RW TC-30 IR's are.

- Create first preset, based on idea for grid layout : check.

Generous usage of X/Y feature to make it fit: 84% CPU.

Next hurdle is to program the MFC IAs to deal with X/Y. I hope that the next MFC firmware will make this easier, avoiding having to use a separate X/Y switch for every effect.

Using the global effect blocks, nice!

8.jpg

Comp: pedal compressor
Vol (with Envelope): used for autom. volume swells
Wah (exp.pedal)
Ringmod: used for low octaves
Phaser: X=script Phase 90, Y=Vibe
Drive: X=Tape Dist, Y=BB or TS
2 amp blocks plus X/Y makes: 4 amps!
Pitch: X=Whammy (exp.pedal), Y=detune
Chorus: X=CE chorus, Y=vibrato
Rotary (exp.pedal)
Flanger: X=jet flanger, Y=through-zero
Tremolo (exp.pedal).
Delay: X=delay for leads, Y=ambient
Reverb
Looper
Cab: stereo cab, for Out1 (studio monitors and FOH)
FX-Loop: for Out2 to poweramp/guitar cabinet
Enhancer: only for Out1

P.S. Editing via the front panel. Too many minor Axe-Edit bug reports.

hooooooooooooooooooooooooly sh*t, patch please!

I know believe Yek is the first Axe man due to his ability to be accurate, Sharp, and informative as a robot, yet emulates the human element of lulz and a rare mistake every now and then. I'm onto you Cliff.... or should I say Beta Axe Cliff version 11???? :shock

Reactions: yek
Love to see how you accomplished that, Scott. Thanks already.

PS. Just out of curiosity, which factory preset did you submit, or is that classified?

Classified! Somewhere in the 200 range... called Evil Moderater. Click the patch and it randomly deletes presets and effects and spams the forum with complaints. :)

Love to see how you accomplished that, Scott. Thanks already.

PS. Just out of curiosity, which factory preset did you submit, or is that classified?

Presets? Only the good ones. ;) I submitted a slew of them, they were filleted and gone over by Matt (and others?). If you have ones you liked... those are the ones I worked on. LOL. :D

Matt or Steve or Sean would know how to set up the A/B/C/D; I cannot remember where I saw how it was done. I'll check and get back to you.

Reactions: yek
- Create first preset, based on idea for grid layout : check.

Generous usage of X/Y feature to make it fit: 84% CPU.

Next hurdle is to program the MFC IAs to deal with X/Y. I hope that the next MFC firmware will make this easier, avoiding having to use a separate X/Y switch for every effect.

Using the global effect blocks, nice!

8.jpg

Comp: pedal compressor
Vol (with Envelope): used for autom. volume swells
Wah (exp.pedal)
Ringmod: used for low octaves
Phaser: X=script Phase 90, Y=Vibe
Drive: X=Tape Dist, Y=BB or TS
2 amp blocks plus X/Y makes: 4 amps!
Pitch: X=Whammy (exp.pedal), Y=detune
Chorus: X=CE chorus, Y=vibrato
Rotary (exp.pedal)
Flanger: X=jet flanger, Y=through-zero
Tremolo (exp.pedal).
Delay: X=delay for leads, Y=ambient
Reverb
Looper
Cab: stereo cab, for Out1 (studio monitors and FOH)
FX-Loop: for Out2 to poweramp/guitar cabinet
Enhancer: only for Out1

P.S. Editing via the front panel. Too many minor Axe-Edit bug reports.

whoa... i was wondering how this would sound. are you using this for ambient sounds?
would really love to hear some samples?
long time lurker/reader here, waiting for my unit. thanks :mrgreen

Yek, you may find that the Axe II is SO clear that your taste in 3rd Party IR's changes.
I've done alot of listening with virtually the entire Redwirez and Ownhammer collections.
I've found that the IR's I love best now are the Redwirez taken with TC-30 and KM-84 mics.

In the Ultra I really liked the Ownhammers for their trebley clarity. I find them a bit bright with
the II now. I've gone to other mic IRs with OH, most often the SM57. However, the Redwirez TC-30
2048 point IR's just shine with the Axe II.

If you find, as I did, that the Ownhammers are pretty bright, try RW TC-30 mic IR's afterwards. I think
you'll be pleasantly surprised. For a real kick, compare them to the stock cab RW IR's cab for cab
and see how much clearer the RW TC-30 IR's are.

Thanks for the tip, I'll surely try.

I'm not using IRs with the EVMs at the moment, I like that cab as it is. I do use IRs on the direct signal to my studio monitors / FOH.

A Chrysler 300? Not a common vehicle in the Netherlands, I'd reckon. Or is it a "Lancia"?

Yes, it's a 300c wagon, in lease. Became a bit popular around here a couple of years back (also as taxis). Does well, Mercedes motor in it, drives like a "bad mf" tank. I feel like a pimp, I may start wearing a fur coat and booties.

whoa... i was wondering how this would sound. are you using this for ambient sounds?
would really love to hear some samples?
long time lurker/reader here, waiting for my unit. thanks :mrgreen

It's really just a virtual pedalboard plus post-amp effects. Something similar was my default grid on the Ultra. This grid layout will be used for my regular amp presets. In fact I use effects sparingly, often not more than a few at the same time.

Thank you all for your comments, really appreciate it!

- Use of X and Y when naming presets : check. Really handy, saves time.

- Preset directories: using this more and more, espec. the A-Z list.

- Intermediate failure report:

So far the Axe-Fx II froze a number of times during startup. Sometimes a restart helps, sometimes Recall must be pressed while restarting to make it finish the start sequence. Something's not right here. I disconnected all accessories, still occurs.
[Edit: startup problems seem to be related to the use of a power distributor.]

Some bug reports submitted.

Last edited:
Configuring the effect blocks...

I dotted down the settings of my common effect blocks on the Ultra.
It's clear that these can't be transposed as such to the II (in most cases).
Values and params in the II have been changed. No problem.

Many effects with default setting already sound terrific, very transparant. The rotary in particular, wow.
And the new pre-set effect types of course make it all easier. The delay types are great.

The Min and Max parames in the modifier menu are very welcome, great improvement.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom