I'm Just Going to Leave This Here

While I'm not a full time player, this is so blatantly simpleminded and callous a response that it is very difficult not to take offense on their behalf. Let's be hopeful your day job doesn't involve analyzing complex socio-economic trends and drawing meaningful conclusions. Or empathy.

Wow, apparently your moniker does not match your attitude. Having no sense of humor and being passive aggressive is no way to go through life, son.

From a financial point of view, it's not backwards at all. People who make their living playing guitar typically don't have the funding that people with a day job have. :)

Unless of course you have a day job totally blows :lol.

Last edited:
Putting a lot of features of the AFX 2 in an AX8 will drive the price up and defeat the purpose of even creating the AX8. Maybe someday FAS will create an AFX2 floor model that has all the features of the AFX2, in a floor processor. But it's clear that that's not what the AX8 is meant to be.

I get what your saying and it makes sense on paper (screen actually.. lol) but here's why stuff gets tricky in my mind:

Those features that you think 'drive the price up' are software that Cliff has already built. Porting them to work on AX8 'might' be something Cliff could do in a day for all we know. It would seem that Cliff has ported the code for amp, cab and FX to run on the AX8 (albeit limited by slower dsps), so why not USB audio interface and IR capture?

I could be over simplifying. Maybe the AX8 hardware really can't run that stuff. On the other hand, maybe AX8 won't include those features as a marketing decision. For reasons you identified (preventing feature overlap).

Personally, I just don't like the thought of crippling or dumbing-down a product to 'fit' a product range. But maybe that's just me.

I get what your saying and it makes sense on paper (screen actually.. lol) but here's why stuff gets tricky in my mind:

Those features that you think 'drive the price up' are software that Cliff has already built. Porting them to work on AX8 'might' be something Cliff could do in a day for all we know. It would seem that Cliff has ported the code for amp, cab and FX to run on the AX8 (albeit limited by slower dsps), so why not USB audio interface and IR capture?

I could be over simplifying. Maybe the AX8 hardware really can't run that stuff. On the other hand, maybe AX8 won't include those features as a marketing decision. For reasons you identified (preventing feature overlap).

Personally, I just don't like the thought of crippling or dumbing-down a product to 'fit' a product range. But maybe that's just me.

Yeah I know what you mean - I'm sure some of the features are purely software based, and wouldn't require any additional cost to be included in the AX8 (except for a small amount of memory). And with that in mind, I agree that it shouldn't be omitted... maybe an option like IR capturing is only software based and can be added on later at an additional cost? I don't know.

Who knows, I know I don't, lol.

You are over-simplifying.

You are over-simplifying.

Probably.

I'm no software engineer, I don't even know what language Cliff codes in or what compiler. But it would make sense to design the AX8 hardware to be a good candidate for porting to, given the Axe-Fx codebase already exists.

Since this whole thread is pure speculation, who knows. Maybe Cliff's starting point was to port the entire Axe-Fx code to run on AX8 and then test to see where compute limitations cause things to lock up or crash (such as going beyond one amp or cab block)

Cliff can you give any estimated time frame on the AX 8 dude......................cause I'm gonna save up for it...................causes this is a gigging guitarist's dream rig .....AX8 an FRFR and your done clean and simple................................Line 6, Boss and Digitech are gonna be hatin it............................................posting this for those who have not seen it cause it has some good info on the AX8........................

http://axefxtutorials.com/2015/02/ax8-floor-version-of-axe-fx-new-teaser-from-fractal-audio/

Last edited:
Reactions: AZG
Soooo ... is there at least an estimated timeframe until this is released? Under 6 months? 6-12 months? Over a year? Hard to make purchasing decisions without some idea of when this might drop.

It would be nice to know at least a rough estimate of time frame and a few more details like does it keep the grid layout, high resolution reverb, UR...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I was in the market for a floor-based modeler, the AX8 is exactly what I would want.
AX8 offers most of the Axe-Fx II features, with Axe-Fx II quality, for live performances.
Minus I/O connectivity, Amp/Tone Matching, IR Capture, etc.
I wouldn't want to see anything else excluded.
The fact that it's floor-based makes it a different product.

Exactly. Release the hound, I'm ready!

i know we're still waiting for the fx-8 to be released but the ax-8 can't be that far off. i mean, it's practically the same physically 'cept for the screen and if it's based of the axe II (with some pairing down) I don't see it being another year away

I have seriously cut down on buying gear ....................I could have bought my dream yacht by now..............

I look forward to both the FX8 and AX8 and will likely buy both. However I do think that when a company and development team are focused exclusively on one product the pace and quality of the development is most optimal. We have benefited greatly from this singular focus as a FAS community and my guess is that while the development cycle time will probably slow down, Cliff does not seem to be one who would tolerate any slip in quality!!

As far as I'm concerned as a full time touring guitarist Fractal gear is a no brainer. Add up a versatile big pedal board with the usual Strymon pedals and you're into Fractal territory on its own, then add a good amp and cab and you're talking a decent wedge. Don't forget a secondary fly board for international gigs and the fact it'll sound different to your big rig.

I randomly got mine in a trade for a lunchbox Mesa Boogie, did one tour to test it out then sold my entire big rig. My on stage In-Ear mix is the most consistent it's ever been and my entire rig (MFC Pedalboard, AXE2) fits in a protective Pelican case which is under Airplane weight restrictions.

I do pop gigs and for the most part Musical Directors want you to turn up with good (£££) rigs. If they're a guitarist themselves then you really better bring nice gear!

It would be nice to know at least a rough estimate of time frame and a few more details like does it keep the grid layout, high resolution reverb, UR...

All that is gravy. I already plan to buy the AX8 regardless of those details. I would just like to know approximately when it will drop so I know whether to hold off on other purchases or not. That's it.

All that is gravy. I already plan to buy the AX8 regardless of those details. I would just like to know approximately when it will drop so I know whether to hold off on other purchases or not. That's it.

if it is in the $1500 - 1600 ,count me in for Cab Lab 3 ,2X Cab packs ,and EV1 and full ensemble Fractal shirt and hat

You really focus about the best point and the best things that is already is top for demand in the days, even almost teenagers also seeking for this things and they really like and appreciate for this.You are on the best path with best facilities.I am also glad for you and like these things and services..:encouragement:Hope for best as such things and services in future.10805845_905735212770423_6190244525633694551_n.jpg

You make exciting things to happen even almost teenagers seeking for please click on my web site. Maybe I have a nice drive-by for you, such things and services. Check out my youtube video 87 hits in three months no scam here.

Cliff mentioned elsewhere that FX8 should be for sale "hopefully within a couple of weeks".

For reasons that are obvious when you think about it, it would seem like a really good idea to officially announce AX8 with it's full specs, features and price... BEFORE they start taking customers money for the FX8.

Of course, FAS can do whatever they like.. but I'm thinking odds are good we'll see more official AX8 info.. "Soon". :)

Back
Top Bottom