I'm Just Going to Leave This Here

If I had to make my entire living playing guitar, I'd own the AX8 only. If I still have the day job, then I own both: axe-fx2 permanently in the studio and ax8 for gigging.

Somehow this seems backwards to me. If I'm NOT making my entire living playing guitar, I'd only have the AX8 (or the Axe; probably not both). If I AM making a living playing guitar, I'd probably have both; different uses for different situations.

But...to each his/her own.

Somehow this seems backwards to me. If I'm NOT making my entire living playing guitar, I'd only have the AX8 (or the Axe; probably not both). If I AM making a living playing guitar, I'd probably have both; different uses for different situations.
From a financial point of view, it's not backwards at all. People who make their living playing guitar typically don't have the funding that people with a day job have. :)

From a financial point of view, it's not backwards at all. People who make their living playing guitar typically don't have the funding that people with a day job have. :)

This.

In fact, I'd venture to guess that 90% of the sales for boutique guitar and amp builders goes to part-time musicians with more discretionary income than a working musician.

I'd starve if I was a full time musician. Not enough talent and too many guitars sums up my musical abilities. I'll end up with an AX8 and see no reason to sell my AxeII when I get it.

People who make their music playing guitar for a living also mix in different circles than people with a regular 9-5 job. They stay in 5 star hotels, they are VIPs at all the best clubs in the world where they mix and meet people with very high salaries. End up in relationships with very successful business women, actresses, models etc.........

Why would this be limited to just a "stage" rig? Thats ridiculous. The product should have all the functionality of an audio interface, usb recording etc.

Most consumers would only own this or the AXE2....not both

Why would FAS offer 2 units with so much feature overlap? They'd make more money offering a cheaper, less feature heavy, unit to appeal to stage users (AX8 ) and the loaded option to appeal to both stage and studio (AFX 2).

The AX8 makes more sense for my needs than the AFX2. I'm not a professional guitarist, I play mostly at home and sometimes at some gig, and I don't record at all. I think I represent the consumer in the market that the AX8 is trying to appeal to more than the AFX2. And I can tell you that I don't need all the features that the AFX2 has, but I own one anyway because I want the tone/signal chain versatility that the AFX offers.

While some users are looking for a AFX2 in a floor unit. I'm not. I want basically exactly what Cliff has already described in previous posts for the AX8, at an 'aggressive price' :)

Apple sells the iPhone 6 and the 6-Plus. The feature overlap is... all features except the bigger screen on the Plus. Seems to work for Apple.

That's an apples to oranges comparison (no pun intended).

AFX is already doing this with the Mark 2 and XL (or XL+) as well... but the difference is that the purpose of the AX8 is to appeal to a different market, a different consumer. The Mark 2 and XL (and iphone 6 and 6+) are targeting the same consumer, but offering options incase that consumer doesn't want to be limited.

It's an apples/oranges comparison because the AX8 is not targeting the 'exact' same consumer as the AFX 2/XL. A different consumer needs different/less features. There's no doubt that the idea of the AX8 will appeal to current AFX users, and there will be features excluded from the AX8 that some people will want. But if you want those features, go buy an AFX 2 - that's why it exists. For those that don't care, buy an AX8.

Putting a lot of features of the AFX 2 in an AX8 will drive the price up and defeat the purpose of even creating the AX8. Maybe someday FAS will create an AFX2 floor model that has all the features of the AFX2, in a floor processor. But it's clear that that's not what the AX8 is meant to be.

If I was in the market for a floor-based modeler, the AX8 is exactly what I would want.
AX8 offers most of the Axe-Fx II features, with Axe-Fx II quality, for live performances.
Minus I/O connectivity, Amp/Tone Matching, IR Capture, etc.
I wouldn't want to see anything else excluded.
The fact that it's floor-based makes it a different product.

Most consumers would only own this or the AXE2....not both
I'm not one of those consumers. I'd like to have both. An AxeFx2 at home for studio work and exploring effects, amps, and cab IRs. An AX8 for rehearsal and gigs as a good sounding, compact setup. And I can then use similar effect settings/IRs on both units. That would be the best of both worlds for me (assuming that I have the money to buy an AX8 and keep my Axe II ;) ).

Without us weekend warriors, who would you full time guys have to whine about?

So, full time musicians like Richards, Slash, Via, etc.. have less money than me? Awesome!!

Not all "working" musicians are starving, only you guys doing the whining. I suggest you write a hit song and make a ton of money ... and then buy the F8.

Problem solved.

People who make their music playing guitar for a living also mix in different circles than people with a regular 9-5 job. They stay in 5 star hotels, they are VIPs at all the best clubs in the world where they mix and meet people with very high salaries. End up in relationships with very successful business women, actresses, models etc.........
That describes the top 1% of full-time guitarists. For the other 99%, the music industry is tougher than its been in decades.

Without us weekend warriors, who would you full time guys have to whine about?

So, full time musicians like Richards, Slash, Via, etc.. have less money than me? Awesome!!

Not all "working" musicians are starving, only you guys doing the whining. I suggest you write a hit song and make a ton of money ... and then buy the F8.

Problem solved.

While I'm not a full time player, this is so blatantly simpleminded and callous a response that it is very difficult not to take offense on their behalf. Let's be hopeful your day job doesn't involve analyzing complex socio-economic trends and drawing meaningful conclusions. Or empathy.

While I'm not a full time player, this is so blatantly simpleminded and callous a response that it is very difficult not to take offense on their behalf. Let's be hopeful your day job doesn't involve analyzing complex socio-economic trends and drawing meaningful conclusions. Or empathy.

Yeah, I think he was joking...

Reactions: BMH

True enough. I guess I was thinking about someone that already owned the Axe-Fx. It seems to me more plausible that they would add an AX-8 than to replace it. But I get your point.

That describes the top 1% of full-time guitarists. For the other 99%, the music industry is tougher than its been in decades.

Are those official figures? Send us a link ;-)
The music industry is over. It has been for 10 years.

Last edited:
Are those official figures? Send us a link ;-)
Those figures are my own personal SWAG, based on what I've seen. Thirty years ago, a gigging guitarist with reasonable skills could earn a livable middle-class income. These days, you have to hit the big time to even get close to that.

Those figures are my own personal SWAG, based on what I've seen. Thirty years ago, a gigging guitarist with reasonable skills could earn a livable middle-class income. These days, you have to hit the big time to even get close to that.

Well, I will certainly agree there is little money sloshing about anymore. Everything from sales to advances are 10% of what they used to be before the millennium for me and all my mates that are still playing. There is a whole generation now that thinks music should be free. That can of worms is well and truly open :)
The Axefx is very cheap compared to what we all used to spend on Bradshaw racks in the 80's. My SLO100 cost more than the Axefx.
As I said earlier, a lot of musicians I know married people with great careers too. Buying this stuff is not a problem for them :)

Back
Top Bottom