I/O Instrument Input set to 28% for Les Paul...is this what others are experiencing

dschaaf

Experienced
I am sure every guitar & pup combination will vary I am just wondering if others using LP's are finding they need to set the Instr In (I/O panel) to 26-30% to barely "tickle the reds"? I am using a Les Paul Standard '59 with the standard humbuckers in it.

Just seems kind of low to me but maybe not :)

Thanks,
D.

I use 26% for my PRS 513 "heavy humbucker" setting and 28% for my P90 guitar. Looks like you're in the zone to me!

Terry.

Interesting - With my SG and Carvin Dc127 I have to max out the instrument input to tickle the reds on my axeII. Anyone else experience this?

I've always thought setting the input level was a little vaque... to my ears, 'tickling the reds' always sounded little too close to clipping territory (with my guitars it needs to be over 75%+). I'm new to AXE FX so could be my inexperience with the unit.. Still learning..

I use Fender standard tele, strat, and an Ibanez ART all at same input at around 50 ~ 55%. To my ears it sounds the most stable...

Would anybody correct if I am doing anything wrong? Thanks.

I'll crank it almost to 100% with vintage style strat pickups and down to 25-30% with humbuckers. Varies a lot. I've seen the wish item for presets for different guitars which I think would be a great idea. I'd have the input gain level and the amp gain level in global settings included. Those 2 settings enable me to use very different guitars with the same presets quite effectively now.

Actually, any typical level settings from FAS for the STANDARD manufacturers guitars (with standard stock pickups) would be appreciated. I don't believe it is a silly idea to have something standardised. Or could this be of personal preferences?
All the things said, I am overjoyed with how AXE FX II sound. :D

Actually, any typical level settings from FAS for the STANDARD manufacturers guitars (with standard stock pickups) would be appreciated. I don't believe it is a silly idea to have something standardised. Or could this be of personal preferences?
All the things said, I am overjoyed with how AXE FX II sound. :D

Not needed and wouldn't work any way depending on setup, year of guitar, how hard you play, etc.. The closer your strings are to the pickups the hotter the output. Also each pickup configuration will be different. The instructions cover it pretty well. turn it until it tickles the reds on peaks. The is give you 6db of heardroom before you start to clip and even then the front input has a soft clip so it clips in a very analog way (rather than the clicks and pops of digital clipping).

No personal preference about this really. It is there to optimize the signal you send to the analog to digital converters. That will give you the best signal to noise ratio. That being said you have a ton of headroom anyway (with the limited bandwidth of the guitar) so going low really won't hurt. Just roll back the volume on your guitar, it still sounds good.

My guess is that we all interpret "tickle the red" in different ways ... would love to see a quick video of what Fractal means when they say "tickle the red" ... or anyone else who thinks they are pretty sure what that should look like ...

My guess is that we all interpret "tickle the red" in different ways ... would love to see a quick video of what Fractal means when they say "tickle the red" ... or anyone else who thinks they are pretty sure what that should look like ...

For me tickle the red means that I only see red slightly on the input meters when I strum as hard as I can on the low strings (i.e. G,A power chords) which is what normally generates the most guitar input anywhere on the guitar neck. That's why I'm puzzled as to why I have to have my input set so high (100%) for my humbucker equipped guitars (my dc127 has carvin C22 humbucker pickups which are considered fairly hot).

6 different Les Paul's here, input between 75 and 95 depending on the guitar to occasionally hit red.

It really depends on the guitar and playing style. From what I understand there is a limiter that even if you are a little on the hot side that it will keep you from clipping the input...now if your patch is really hot that might not save you from clipping the output.

My strat has to be damn near 100% and its still just flirting with the idea of tickling the red. My LP is about 50, my Axis is about 35 and all my active pickup guitars are probably in the 25-30 range. I can't remember what my P90's or tele is....basically its all over the frickin place.

For firmware prior to 6, I had my 1981 LP Custom and 2003 Standard at 45%. Starting with firmware 6, I had to reduce it to 40% since everything seemed to be set hotter. I also had to reduce output level on most pre 6 patches to get them under the red. Everything seems to sound much better overall after doing that.

Back
Top Bottom