I/O Instrument Input set to 28% for Les Paul...is this what others are experiencing

45% with my Les Pauls,

65% for my Strats and my Tele,

all PUs are in the "vintage output"-range.

Andreas

My Gibson: 40% . My Tele: 100%. My Strat: 60%...
I just set it at 40% and leave it there.

There's really no need to adjust for every guitar when playing with a band.
It optimizes the signal-to-noise ratio and has no impact at all on signal level / gain / tone.

I see no use for input presets or a database..

My Gibson: 40% . My Tele: 100%. My Strat: 60%...
I just set it at 40% and leave it there.

There's really no need to adjust for every guitar when playing with a band.
It optimizes the signal-to-noise ratio and has no impact at all on signal level / gain / tone.

I see no use for input presets or a database..

Yeah, I just set it for my hottest output guitar and leave it alone for the rest.

All my guitars are at 100%. They're all single coils. Of the lot, only one tickles the reds even occasionally - my Mex. Strat. - depending on what pup(s) I am using. My Dano's and my Radiator never even hit red. Maybe I'll raise the pups on 'em a little bit, but I must say: contrary to Cliff's advice, I actually like being a little low - because it sounds better overall: it does seem that my Dual verb DOES break up a little too much compared to my physical Twin. Of course, maybe global amp drive would be a better way to go...

I find very odd that my Les Paul with Suhr Aldritch pickups and my Suhr Modern with Aldritch pickups have such a different output.
with the les paul I have it at 45-50% to tickle the red and 65-70% for the Suhr.

Do you guys think this is normal?

Interesting. I have two main guitars: a Tele with Lawrence noiseless pups, and a Schroeder with WCR Godwoods. The Schroeder is hotter, but I still run 90% input gain, Left only on the I/O, and hardly ever tickle the red LEDs.

Level the playing field...

Guys,

When I use my Les Pauls (both with Duncan JB in the Bridge-Pos.) I set the Input-Level to approx. 25.0, and with my '89 Blade (Strat-Style - but Duncan Little-'59 Mini-Humbucker in the Bridge-Pos.) it's more like 42.0 (approx.) My '92 Blade (Duncan P-Rails - in Humbucking-Mode) is at about 35.0 *That said, if I select Single-Coil/Rail-Only (which I hardly ever use cuz' it's so thin and weak) on the Duncan P-Rails PUP, I can barely make the "reds-tickle" on the input-level, but it doesn't matter anyways! The Axe-FX II is so quiet/clean, I think you just need to set it optimally to your "hottest-pickup," and then just program different Presets/Patches to accomodate the varying Levels, EQ, Gain, etc. in your various-guitars...I would think generally, that most would want some different patches/presets for each different guitar-type anyways, unless you're going the "emulating old-school-route" by making one huge "faux-pedalboard preset/patch" and using it for EVERYTHING! (..and that's cool too,if that's what you like!) One of the many great things about the Axe-FX II is that you can set it up to be the type of rig which fits your needs and/or emulates what you're accustom to using...or gets you doing things in new and exciting ways..if that's what you choose! I digress...

As others have suggested, it Input-Level varies quite a bit "from-guitar-to-guitar," so:

P.S. I like the method someone else suggested earlier in this thread (which I've always used) which is to whack an Open-E5 Power-Chord (or the lowest available Open Power-Chord for those in Drop-Tunings or 7 & 8 string guitars) as hard as you can, and tickle the reds with that input. This is the the most input/energy your guitar will ever put-out and send to the Axe-FX II's input.

1.) TRUST THE METERS when setting initial I/O Input-Level/Trim...
2.) TRUST YOUR EARS when making your Patches/Presets...

Bill

Last edited:
I find very odd that my Les Paul with Suhr Aldritch pickups and my Suhr Modern with Aldritch pickups have such a different output.
with the les paul I have it at 45-50% to tickle the red and 65-70% for the Suhr.

Do you guys think this is normal?

Pickups could be placed at slightly different spots relative to the bridge? The shorter scale/looser string tension of the LP results in larger string movement above the coils? Just thinking out loud, I might be very, very wrong 8)

Assuming same volume pot settings(wide open), same pup height, same string size, it might come down to wood. I have 4 LPs and all of them resonate differently, but my goldtop is just louder-and even with the same pups in two guitars-it tickled the red and others didnt. Really, so many factors in the mix, I don't think it's a problem, just a difference ;)

Interesting - With my SG and Carvin Dc127 I have to max out the instrument input to tickle the reds on my axeII. Anyone else experience this?

Yes, me. :?

I set up my brand new Axe-FX II yesterday and tested it with five different humbucker-equipped guitars. Factory settings on the Axe, and even at Instrument input level set to 100% I could never get it to tickle the red no matter how hard I strummed. The guitars I tested (using the bridge pickup at full volume/tone in each case) were:

• Gibson SG with '57 Classics
  • Peavey Wolfgang Standard
  • Jackson Soloist with Duncan '59/JB set
  • Gibson LP Custom with Duncan Jazz/Custom set
  • Jackson Dinky with EMG 85/81 set
You would think at least one of these guitars would tickle the red with the input level set to 100%, but no. I'm as confused as you are. I currently have it set to 60%, but I have no particular reason for choosing that value.

zslane said:
Factory settings on the Axe, and even at Instrument input level set to 100% I could never get it to tickle the red no matter how hard I strummed. The guitars I tested (using the bridge pickup at full volume/tone in each case) were:

[*]Gibson SG with '57 Classics
[*]Peavey Wolfgang Standard
[*]Jackson Soloist with Duncan '59/JB set
[*]Gibson LP Custom with Duncan Jazz/Custom set
[*]Jackson Dinky with EMG 85/81 set

I have similar experience. I know some people just prefer setting up their pickups lower than other people, and it tends to vary by style. I'm not a player of heavy music, but I do like overdrive.

I've always wondered why I had to run my input level up above 90% to ever even see red.

Yes, me. :?

I set up my brand new Axe-FX II yesterday and tested it with five different humbucker-equipped guitars. Factory settings on the Axe, and even at Instrument input level set to 100% I could never get it to tickle the red no matter how hard I strummed. The guitars I tested (using the bridge pickup at full volume/tone in each case) were:

• Gibson SG with '57 Classics
  • Peavey Wolfgang Standard
  • Jackson Soloist with Duncan '59/JB set
  • Gibson LP Custom with Duncan Jazz/Custom set
  • Jackson Dinky with EMG 85/81 set
You would think at least one of these guitars would tickle the red with the input level set to 100%, but no. I'm as confused as you are. I currently have it set to 60%, but I have no particular reason for choosing that value.

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...ul-what-others-experiencing-2.html#post686001 ?

Back
Top Bottom