High end fizz...is this normal?

Don't know if this adds anything to this discussion but back in the day when everyone was trying to capture Eddie/ VH1 that high end fizz *was* the elusive element people couldn't find. Just kinda interesting.

There you go! A POD Tone parameter.......

I have added a parameter that lets you turn off "grid conduction" which is the primary contributor of "fizz". Note that many of those classic rock tones, i.e. EVH, rely on fizz to get that cutting sound.

You now have your "POD Tone" parameter, Have at it.:?

I for one, will not be using it, but nice to see the versatility of the AXE II can take you in any direction one chooses. I will have some "Fizz" with mine!

Reactions: jon
I never bothered to mention that the fizz bothers me too, because in a band context it all goes away, and actually helps in cutting thru.

I actually appreciate this feature, because it's annoying to me when you're NOT in a band context (eg recording) Or might have a semi-dirty part of a song with just guitars (eg intro to paramore's 'monster') where that fizz is annoying, and you want it removed, if even for that small song section.

I appreciate that the axe models these amps so closely, which is why I didn't complain, but MOST importantly, I appreciate the fact that FAS takes up complaints from the forum, no matter HOW crazy they might seem, and turn them into reality. This is one such feature, that makes the axe superior to a real tube amp, and the other feature that makes the axe hundreds of times more than worth it's weight in gold is the time and dedication and vision spent by cliff and co. in making things like this happen.

Thank you FAS, for all the hard work and perseverance thru a difficult crowd to please, and Merry Christmas to you and your families! ;)

I have added a parameter that lets you turn off "grid conduction" which is the primary contributor of "fizz".
Awesome! TYVM That's the kind of versatility I like to see, because it is possible and useful. Maybe it will allow (again or more) for some great "plastic tones" too (I've heard great plastic tones from the Axe years ago. They exist! :D ), or maybe that has nothing to do with it... ;) If so, the knob could be named "Plasticity"...? ;)

LOL I am diggin that name Haha! Please name it that! :p

I suppose it would be most useful if you could control the AMOUNT of fizz....like 75% or so for eg. I know that's probably pushing it, and I'm thankful enough for the feature, but I think that would allow users to make full use of it. I still want SOME fizz in there, it's what makes the amp characteristic shine thru! I just don't want ALL of it to be annoying. Still VERY grateful about the feature, not nit-picking at all, just offering a suggestion to make it more useful if it is possible.

Any chance we can get a clip with and without the 'plasticity' control?

On a side note.... I finally managed to get those pesky little bubbles out of my Coca Cola...... Want some?

LOL!!!! On a side note also, I also shake sodas to get the fizz out of them - I HATE it!! :S just really goes to show you that everyone has different taste - this is a PERFECT analogy! Lol!

I suppose it would be most useful if you could control the AMOUNT of fizz....like 75% or so for eg. I know that's probably pushing it
Cliff said it's a parameter, not a switch, so there might be some hope towards that :D

Fizz is refreshing, Coca Cola, Alka Seltzer, Dom Pérignon, Axe Fx II. Will we be able to add fizz as well as reduce it?

I think he should just call it realism reduction and be done with it. That really says something when you have to start exposing parameters to make things sound less like a real tube amp.

Cliff, I really admire your patience and perseverance! Thanks for the continued improvement and development. I doubt I'll be using this particular feature, but it's great that you are willing to go to such lengths to please those that will.

I have added a parameter that lets you turn off "grid conduction" which is the primary contributor of "fizz". Note that many of those classic rock tones, i.e. EVH, rely on fizz to get that cutting sound.
I am interested in this; not so much in an, "I want this feature," but rather, "I am wanting to know more please!"

Is this referring to "AB2" (type?) operation? Crossover distortion? I ask because you say "turn off." With an amp, wouldn't (unwanted) grid conduction be *dealt with* via redesign/modification of one or more component(s) (values)? Or am I considering a more severe consequence of, say, "*overpowering* grid blocking" (grid clamp).. which I suppose might be when grid conduction clips? Is the (sometimes) desired "grid conduction" you are referring to the very *early* (possibly) pleasant onset of grid clamp (even harmonics)? Or am I overthinking, and this is (simply?) toggling coupling on/off?

(sorry for my terminology brain farting.. or "neuro-grid blocking" (lol!).. it has been a year or so since I have needed to tap this information so deeply... thank you for making me dig! :) Wish I had the wealth of knowledge you do)

I'm all in for adding the parameter. Kudos to Fractal to listening to the customers!

My Bogner Ecstasy sounded like shit at low volume level. Do I want the Axe-Fx to simulate that, being as real as possible? No, I want it to improve on that and it does.
Technology and mr Fractal's skills make it possible to get the tone "I" want.

Case: "high end fizz". If it annoys me at low volume levels, it's great to be able to eliminate that.
Does it make stuff less real? I do not care. I'm going for the sound I want. The Axe lets me.

EXACTLY that yek. I don't really care if it makes it sound like an amp or something from a spaceship. The axe can make sounds we've never yet heard, and stuff like this is digging into the potential it has to offer.

Tube amps are GREAT, but they too have faults and shortcomings, just like anything else out there. It's nice to know that some of the imperfections can just be "dialed out".

Will everyone like it? Prob not, but it's amazing to know that the technology exists that can do it.

I'm about reaching into sonic territory that my ears are leading me to, not trying to create some 50 year old imperfect amp - the axe does that already. Give me something the amp itself CAN'T do now! ;)

Back
Top Bottom