High end fizz...is this normal?

Best practice? I don’t know there are any true best practices in guitar setups. I don’t even know who would define and publish such standards, after all I don’t think there is the equivalent if the W3C for guitar rigs. The EBTech HE-8 is what I would consider an approach.

The hum eliminator sits between multiple different pieces of independently grounded gear. Two pieces of gear that are each connected to their own chassis ground can create ground loops when connected together and this is what the EBTech Hum Eliminator is designed to address. It does not sit between the Guitar and the device as the guitar does not have an independent ground, so there is no need for ground isolation.

How to hook the EBTech Hum Eliminator into your rig is dependent on your rig. The way I did it was to purchase a bulk pack of TRS and TS patch cables. One connection at at time I would re-route direct connections between components in my rack through the EBTech, I would try both TRS and TS connections. I would select the method of connection (Direct TRS, Direct TS, TRS through EBTech, or TS through EBTech) that provided the greatest improvement in ground loop noise levels. Once I was satisifed I replaced the patch cables with custom cables.

In doing so, I determined the optimal connections for my specific rig. Note that since I am using 4CM this included the use of Humbuster cables between the Axe and Amp input and the Axe and FX Loop Return.

The key is to try different things and figure out what works for your rig.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rex
Back
Top Bottom