Help the Fight Against COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
200,000 N95 masks manufactured in China at the 3M factory, bought by the Berlin Police Force (and already paid), have been confiscated by the US government at the Bangkok Airport

The US owned 3M has been prohibited from exporting its medical products to other countries under a Korean-War-era law.

Berlin's interior minister said the diversion of masks amounted to an "act of modern piracy", "Inhumane and Unacceptable", urging the US administration to adhere to international trading rules.

o_O

https://berlinspectator.com/2020/04...ump-for-confiscating-masks-bought-for-police/

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-52161995

Last edited:
200,000 N95 masks manufactured in China at the 3M factory, bought by the Berlin Police Force (and already paid), have been confiscated by the US government at the Bangkok Airport
The US owned 3M has been prohibited from exporting its medical products to other countries under a Korean-War-era law.

US owned? 3M is a worldwide publicly held company with shareholders all over the planet.
This will get messy.

It's going to get more and more dog eat dog in the coming days/weeks.

This thread has already broken the record I bet...and will set a new unbeatable record that will live in infamy

# of posts in a thread.
let's get it to 10k

and who will have the last word... ?
the very last post to this thread before its forgotten... somebody just has to have the very last post... it's a odd forum psychology... but who?

San Fransisco and the Bay area was the first major metro area and CA was the first state to do shut downs.
Does social distancing work? Note: I think we're going to see Florida's numbers go through the roof next week.
Not only spring break, but they had the Super Bowl which was last two weeks of January and first week of February.

hLVP3ry.jpg

I’m still not shook. Going to the store and for a Mountain bike ride today. Also moved rehearsal studio to a new location yesterday that is more easily fortified. Come at me bro!

Everyone should read this article. (IMHO)

These Coronavirus Exposures Might Be the Most Dangerous

"The importance of viral dose is being overlooked in discussions of the coronavirus. As with any other poison, viruses are usually more dangerous in larger amounts. Small initial exposures tend to lead to mild or asymptomatic infections, while larger doses can be lethal."

https://ca.yahoo.com/news/coronavirus-exposures-might-most-dangerous-184640808.html

Last edited:
I’m still not shook. Going to the store and for a Mountain bike ride today. Also moved rehearsal studio to a new location yesterday that is more easily fortified. Come at me bro!
I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm not planning to come at you, provided you do all of those things relatively alone, and practice all the usual civilized social norms (e.g. washing hands on entering a space, not flicking boogers at nearby pedestrians, etc.).

Anyone can rehearse alone, provided they have recordings they're playing along with. Anyone can bike alone. The only item that gave me pause was "going to the store." Well, which store? A grocery store to get food, in a quick visit, masked, with wipes and Purell in hand? Sounds like an acceptable risk, since you obviously have to eat.

But I certainly hope you aren't blithely traipsing over to Bed Bath and Beyond to pick out a new shower curtain and some stoneware.

And of course I have no clue where you're located. If it's Manhattan, and your trip to the store is unnecessary and unguarded, then that's a bad move. You'd be just about equally well-served to stay home with your favorite revolver and play Russian Roulette. (I've always wondered what folk in Russia call that? Perhaps they could call it Swiss Roulette, and the Swiss call it Nepalese Roulette, and so on, cycling through all the world's nations in a giant Linked List until the final pointer-reference brought it back to Russia? But I digress....)

If, on the other hand, you live sixty miles outside Cheyenne, and your nearest neighbor is the next ranch ten miles down some stretch of a rural state road, then knock yourself out. (But don't, y'know, knock yourself out, because there's nobody nearby likely to come find you.)

Anyway, the path to follow would seem to be prudence, for the sake of your neighbors and yourself. Hopefully you're doing that, and if you're not, hopefully you're not often in contact with your neighbors. Fair enough?

Last edited:

Berlin's interior minister said the diversion of masks amounted to an "act of modern piracy", "Inhumane and Unacceptable", urging the US administration to adhere to international trading rules.

o_O

https://berlinspectator.com/2020/04...ump-for-confiscating-masks-bought-for-police/

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-52161995

Meanwhile, Germany helps its neighbours and takes care of some Covid 19 patients. But yea, America first ...

Numbers stabilize at a linear growth in most of europe. Still waiting for chaos in sweden, but hopefully the people are more reasonable than the governement.

@solo-act

Yeah, I saw that map, and I also noticed it didn't remove trips to the grocery store; i.e., necessities.

I have to go about 3 miles in any direction to get to the nearest of my grocery stores. My brother-in-law has to travel a good fifteen miles, since he lives in rural Virginia.

Notice the map is actually about measuring travel per trip and shows "when the average distance fell below two miles" (emphasis added). Well, an average distance usually involves some trips that are shorter, and some that are longer. But I can't possibly have any trips that are shorter!

If I travel less than two miles, there's exactly one thing I can possibly be doing: Visiting a neighbor's house. It's a good 3/4ths of a mile just to get to the front of my neighborhood. There are two churches I can get to in less than 1.5 miles, but I don't attend either of them. There's also a gas station, which is the only place I go that's under 1.5 miles' driving distance. But I don't want to waste gas making a special trip to the gas station; and anyway, it's on the way to my nearest Publix. Consequently, I'll get gas there when I'm on my way to the nearest grocery store, which is 1.2 miles further away.

I don't know how this affects everyone else. But I live in one of those states that the map singles out for opprobrium, and I've literally been inside my house since late February apart from grocery-store runs.

So, I'm doing it correctly, and yet that map marks me, and everyone who lives nearby, as part of the problem.

Do I think the article-author intended to misrepresent me, and others, to his readers? No, of course not. I just think he probably lives in an urban area where everything is within walking distance, and consequently is ignorant about other areas of the country. Someone with more experience outside urban centers could set him straight...but perhaps his editor is in the same boat.

Re: correcting the misleading data, itself: This is not an insoluble problem. Perhaps there's some more-accurate way to mine the data, to get something less misleading? For example, could the cell-phone location data note the location of any trips where a grocery-store (or other "necessity") is on either end of the trip, and extract those trips from consideration?

For that matter, why was 2 miles selected as the cutoff? I don't think it says. In what part of the country does a more-than-2-mile drive represent a frivolous trip, and under-2-miles represent a visit to an "essential service?" Seems arbitrary to me.

One other item: I've been seeing a lot of shots of people on crowded subways (something we don't have in my area) in the newspapers. Surely folk in such circumstances are far more problematic than folk alone in their cars, provided the car-drivers keep 10' distant from other humans after they arrive at their destination. If my job is to be loud in scolding others for their dangerous behavior, should I be yelling, "Stop riding subways, people!" ...?

Just kidding! ...but to say it a tad more seriously: Is there any way to identify locations by their use of dense, sharing-the-same-air mass transit, and correlate that with increased cases per square mile? I'll bet there's a relationship (though no doubt other variables will confuse the issue).

Last edited:
Everyone should read this article. (IMHO)

These Coronavirus Exposures Might Be the Most Dangerous

"The importance of viral dose is being overlooked in discussions of the coronavirus. As with any other poison, viruses are usually more dangerous in larger amounts. Small initial exposures tend to lead to mild or asymptomatic infections, while larger doses can be lethal."

https://ca.yahoo.com/news/coronavirus-exposures-might-most-dangerous-184640808.html

Makes sense to me. If you don't have immunity to something and you get a small dose, your body may be learning to fight while it's replicating. A large dose and it has replicated so many times, your system is overwhelmed before it has analyzed and can combat the virus. Makes enclosed areas like grocery stores etc.... seem a little scarier :eek:

Had to go out today and was pretty surprised to see just how many people were wearing masks/scarves/bandanas.
I expected some but if anything, the people not wearing anything looked out of place at the strip mall and
gas/convenience store I stopped at.

At least around here, people are taking the CDC mask suggestion pretty seriously.

Had to go out today and was pretty surprised to see just how many people were wearing masks/scarves/bandanas.
I expected some but if anything, the people not wearing anything looked out of place at the strip mall and
gas/convenience store I stopped at.

At least around here, people are taking the CDC mask suggestion pretty seriously.
Convenience Store is the worst place you can possibly go... hundreds of visitors an hour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom