Help the Fight Against COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is promising.

He recovered from the coronavirus and now his plasma donation could save the lives of others

”As of Sunday, he said, doctors told him that all of his plasma has been donated. The patient who was in the worst condition has since improved, Garcia said doctors told him.”

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/06/us/plasma-donor-coronavirus/index.html

Researchers in Thailand are seeking blood plasma from recovered patients

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/1893720/researchers-seek-blood-plasma-from-ex-patients

Buddy who works in spacial imaging... using satellite photos to estimate deaths in countries.
Tracking photos of cemetery activities, and crematorium plums.

Thanks to whomever mentioned the folding paper thing earlier to explain exponential growth.
My daughter was having a hard time fully grasping it so I stole your explanation.

92939429_10222104056093633_4098195525407342592_n.jpg

Covid is a bioaerosol....talking & breathing.
Wearing a mask, can decrease this.
Decreases the spread

i don’t think it fully airborne like a chemical spray i think it stays in the air
a few minutes
a lot of the early people that got sick in BC had travelled to a dental confrence
so imagine being in an enclosed space
with 200 some of them sick coughing sneezing
i think outside it dissapates fast
but in enclosed spaces classrooms
meetings subways. elevators that is likely your bigger exposures

From what I've read about it (which does not mean it's right but I try pick my sources carefully and cross-verify) - herd immunity is not always a given or assured. Some times the immunity we get through exposure decreases over time and we are able to get re-infected.
That varies with the virus, and this is a new one, so you're certainly correct in a broad-brush kind of way. But keep in mind this is SARS-CoV-2; we have prior experience with SARS-CoV and other coronaviruses, where antibodies in recovered patients typically provide years of immunity (always provided they don't become immunocompromised later, and aren't exposed to overwhelming virus loads, of course).

Also see this (basically saying what I just said):
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/can-you-become-immune-sars-cov-2-180974532/

So only time will tell for sure, but at the moment the smart money is that anyone who got it this year won't get it again for a while.

Last edited:
This has all the experts, including Fauci stumped. Why Covid-19 kills some healthy younger people.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/05/health/young-people-dying-coronavirus-sanjay-gupta/index.html

One possibility is a gene variation in the ACE2 gene. ACE2 is an enzyme that attaches to the outer surface of cells in the lungs, as well as the heart. In an article in Science magazine, Immunologist Dr. Philip Murphy of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases said that "variations in the ACE2 gene that alter the receptor could make it easier or harder for the virus to get into lung cells." [/url]

Yes, this is huge news. The test results in vitro are amazing but I believe that this is one of those times where it will translate well to in vivo.

Ivermectin has been referred to as a "Wonder Drug" in the same vein as penicillin and it would be amazing if it also fits coronaviruses.

This is the first time since all this started in January where I'm feeling any sense of optimism. If human trials are successful it will be essentially the end to this nightmare. The drug is easy to manufacture and proven safe. It won't prevent people from getting Covid-19 but it should lower the fatality rate to an insignificant value.
There’s another study on indomethacin which is also an FDA approved drug. The study shows effficacy in in-vitro as well as canine in-vivo models.

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.01.017624v1

I believe they are throwing science at the wall to see what sticks. IMHO, that’s the right approach given the circumstances.

one possibilty it would interesting
to see a study of how many of the severe cases where / are smokers
we already know that china and Italy suffer from poor air quality
but what if the younger cases were smokers/ vapers or recently had just quit
I was thinking this myself. There has been evidence to suggest that smokers are much higher at risk but I haven't seen any stats pertaining to younger persons whether the severe cases are co-related to them being smokers or not

one possibilty it would interesting
to see a study of how many of the severe cases where / are smokers
we already know that china and Italy suffer from poor air quality
but what if the younger cases were smokers/ vapers or recently had just quit

I'm assuming they ruled that out before adding someone to the study.
????

Had to run to CVS to get meds so I went early to be first in line.
All of the pharmacy workers were behind the counter chatting while
pretty close together in the tight quarters.
Then as they started to man their stations and officially open the pharmacy,
they put on their masks to deal with customers.
:mad:

????

you would think so but in the middle of panedemic and someone not breathing are you asking do you smoke
do you vape
do you smoke weed ocasionally in the past 12 months

????

Well at least they put their masks on before spreading it to customers. I hope they cleaned their hands too, but that may be too much to ask.

Some people just don't get it. Correction: a lot of people just don't get it.

do you smoke weed ocasionally in the past 12 months

cough 45 years cough ;)

I would think any damage from smoke inhalation would show up on a chest X-ray.
Again, I assume one is taken prior to you being part of the control group.

Well at least they put their masks on before spreading it to customers. I hope they cleaned their hands too, but that may be too much to ask.
Some people just don't get it. Correction: a lot of people just don't get it.

They all put gloves on too. The amount of cross-contamination I watched in about 60 seconds was sad.
People should be forced to watch this!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom