guitarfreak365

Inspired
I know that we don’t have experience with the axe III yet and know nothing about the ax8-2 but I’m really having trouble deciding which way I want to go. I know I don’t want to buy both. I’ve used the axe fx II with the MFC101 for years but have no experience with the axe8. It would be awesome to hear your thoughts, especially if you have experience with both. I know it might be too early to tell but I’m hesitant to jump on the axe III before deciding against waiting on the ax8-2. Help!

I've had both and in the same boat as to "what to do" dilemma for the III.

FWIW, I loved everything about the switch from Axe-Fx II\MFC to AX8.

In my bands I've always tried to keep all my gear as small, light and quick to set up as possible. When you are also hauling multi-way PA and sometimes other band member's stage gear, every piece adds up total size and weight. Schlepping a full truckload from storage to truck to stage and back again, multiple times weekly over a period of years makes you really consider these things.

It's also critical that all the pieces go together at the gig quickly and easily with minimum complexity. Fewer cables to roll up at the end of the night the better.

One key factor is: are you already hauling a rack case for other gear? If you are set on using a certain rack power amp to drive cabs, then it's not as big a sacrifice to just use a taller rack that includes your Axe-Fx. In my case, I ditched one whole 4U rack to go with AX8 since I'm using either an active wedge or a Fender combo amp and don't need any rack power.

Possible solution. Get the III, and if an Axe 8-II comes out, get that and then sell the III?

I hate crouching down to the floor to adjust things so rack for me. To be honest my ideal "AX9" would be something with a control unit you can put where you want and then you could just hook up one of the new FC foot controllers. Essentially a desktop unit.

There are several threads in the AX8 Forum comparing the AxeFXII and the AX8. Perhaps those may be of some help. I went from the AxeFXII To the AX8 and have no regrets.

At this point, an updated AX8 is nothing more than wild speculation. You could be waiting another year or more for an AX8-II. Or then again, maybe not. It's a guessing game at this point.

I'm not going to get bent out of shape over it. I'll use the multiple amp scenario.
Anyone here own more than one amp , ....or more than one guitar ?

These units all have resale value. I can't say that for ALL the gear I've purchased over the years.

The AX8 drew me in BECAUSE it is a floor unit. Now that I've had a taste of Fractal Audio , I want MORE. I want some of the features available on the III , that I would guess , will never make it to a new AX8 type , all-in-one , floor unit.
My AX8 is still the best "portable" solution at this time.
The III will be fantastic to edit directly , without bending down , plus great new footswitches , and a ton of horsepower.

I'm just happy to be part of it. I agree with the other comments - expecting the III to cost more than it does.

I know that we don’t have experience with the axe III yet and know nothing about the ax8-2 but I’m really having trouble deciding which way I want to go. I know I don’t want to buy both. I’ve used the axe fx II with the MFC101 for years but have no experience with the axe8. It would be awesome to hear your thoughts, especially if you have experience with both. I know it might be too early to tell but I’m hesitant to jump on the axe III before deciding against waiting on the ax8-2. Help!
If you're used to the Axe II and MFC, it seems the Axe III and FC12 could actually be easier due to the size of the FC12, looks much smaller based upon the pics I've seen.

Back
Top Bottom