Help! I updated my Axe FX II and it ruined everything

So mark this one as a "lesson", but a good one. Going back to FW 16-18 really isn't going to be worth it once you hear the quality improvements that Quantum Physics gave the AFX. Word of advice, listen to Kansas and accept the "Point of no return" 'HOW LONG?! DADADADADADADADADADAD HOW LONG?!'

Once you move past the PONR, load up the factory defaults for Q1+ from fractal's site and listen to bliss. If you were proficient at all previously with Axe-Edit, you'll be fine. Quantum makes dialing in "that tone" so much easier and quicker.

Sorry for your misfortune, I promise you it'll be much better than before.

Thanks... It's just that I sound at tweeking it the way I want it =/ I have an idea in my head, I just can't get it right. Today my friend who helped me before, helped me via Skype. However, the Stereo Mix doesn't really provide him to hear with the best quality, so tweeking was difficult for him, also he's not really a guitar tone expert, he works with mixing however.

If anybody can give me some good hints, I uploaded a snippet of me playing a short riff.

Audio link: https://clyp.it/mqzdpnli (Raw and unmixed)
LINK to Print screens

The first take is how it was before the update, the second take is how it sounded directly after the update and the third one is what I've managed to do so far. I'd take any suggestions from anybody who's really good with tones thanks! (Please let me know if I should move this to a different section on the forum.

I can't listen right now but the cardinal rule about guitar tone to me is this: less is more. Start of super simple, just an amp and cab block. How's it sound? Tweak the gain and master then adjust your output. Still not happy? Try a different amp. Gone through a couple and still not happy? Step back and think about what you want from the tone that you're not getting. Try a different IR. The point being try to get to your goal in as few steps as you can, your results will generally sound better and you lose less if something goes wrong

I can't listen right now but the cardinal rule about guitar tone to me is this: less is more. Start of super simple, just an amp and cab block. How's it sound? Tweak the gain and master then adjust your output. Still not happy? Try a different amp. Gone through a couple and still not happy? Step back and think about what you want from the tone that you're not getting. Try a different IR. The point being try to get to your goal in as few steps as you can, your results will generally sound better and you lose less if something goes wrong

Thanks man, those sounds like good tips, I appreciate that!
I removed the XFRMR as well, doesn't really to fit with what I play (modern metal)

From your screenshots you're using an old version of Axe-Edit. If you want to tweak from Axe-Edit, you should download the latest version from HERE, update it, and then "Refresh after New FW" from the "Settings" drop-down menu.

I would reset the amp after that and start tweaking again.

From your screenshots you're using an old version of Axe-Edit. If you want to tweak from Axe-Edit, you should download the latest version from HERE, update it, and then "Refresh after New FW" from the "Settings" drop-down menu.

I would reset the amp after that and start tweaking again.

Will this affect the presets in anyway? If I update my Axe-Edit that is, will the sound change in anyway by doing that? Some values getting restored or something like that.

Will this affect the presets in anyway? If I update my Axe-Edit that is, will the sound change in anyway by doing that? Some values getting restored or something like that.
Axe-Edit will recall the correct values from the Axe-FX of some parameters. It won't change anything to your preset permanently if you don't SAVE the preset.
With an outdated version of Axe-Edit there are some parameters that doesn't exist in Axe-Edit, and potentially some others that does not load the correct values.

You must use the latest version of Axe-Edit with the latest version of the Firmware.

No... AE is simply a remote editor.. it will not affect tone/presets in any way..
However, what YOU can DO with AxeEdit CAN affect changes to your tone... - depending on what you tweak.
I highly recommend staying away from the amp blocks "advanced pages" - unless you know what they do.

I'm guessing a couple of years probably.
I actually, quite literally, LOL'd @ this point. :p As others have said, you are probably in for a full redial, OP. But if it makes you feel any better it is worth it and you now have a bunch of new stuff to mess with! :cool:

The great music maker in the sky works in mysterious ways ... sometimes we are moved in directions we never would have accepted on our own. ;)

<borg>Besides, resistance is futile. </borg>

Back
Top Bottom