Help! I updated my Axe FX II and it ruined everything

GLDF

So I was about to fix everything so that I could record with my Axe FX II XL on my new laptop. By this I mean installing the Axe FX II drivers etc. etc. Everything has always functioned extremly well on my stationary PC.

So I tried to open Axe-Edit just to check it was all connected well. It told me to upgrade the Firmware on the Axe FX. So I did and the update seemed to have gone well. The update was completed, and the Axe-Edit did its thing when it re-reads all the boxes and stuff.

Then the first thing I noticed, is that I start playing, and my tone sounds so much shittier. I can't put my finger on it, but it's way worse. I get mad and I pray that I'll be able to re-create the tone. But then it got worse.

I reconnected everything back to my ordinary PC instead. I launch Cubase, choose Axe FX II as a driver, I press play on the project and I hear nothing. At first I thought there was no volume at all. Then I realized there was, but I had to MAX my Output 1 knob on the Axe FX all the way in order to hear the tiniest bit of what I was playing from the computer. However, the volume from the guitar was still loud.

I don't know if the problems are connected somehow, or what the hell I can do to fix at least problem #2 about the volume. 'Cause right now, I can't record, because I can barely hear anything. This all happened directly after the update.

I'm gonna panic if this doesn't get fixed. Any help would be extremly helpful! :(

I reconnected everything back to my ordinary PC instead. I launch Cubase, choose Axe FX II as a driver, I press play on the project and I hear nothing. At first I thought there was no volume at all. Then I realized there was, but I had to MAX my Output 1 knob on the Axe FX all the way in order to hear the tiniest bit of what I was playing from the computer. However, the volume from the guitar was still loud.

:(
Have you checked the USB return level in the I/O Audio menu?

You probably were on firmware before 18 and you jumped at least 6 major versions ahead, over a year's worth of updates.

Have you checked the USB return level in the I/O Audio menu?
Thank you! That was it! For some reason it had gone to -60 db!

From what firmware did you upgrade from? There have been big changes.
I don't know what my previous version was. But it sure was a while ago I updated it. I'm guessing a couple of years probably.

So the USB Return Level is fixed now! I just have to figure out what happened to my tone now.

I've tried looking at that.. Problem is I've always been a good player, but sound design isn't my forté. I worked a long time at my main tone, and got help from other people as well. I just can't understand what changed may have caused this. It sounds really bad in comparison.

Is it possible to go back to an older version? :'(
Otherwise I'll try uploading a past and a new recording of "the same preset" and see if anybody knows what may have caused what.

Cliff has reworked a lot of the underlying modeling algorithms. Sometimes when he does it causes drastic changes in the sounds.

Start by resetting the amp block you are using (switch off it to another amp then back) and then tweak again.

I've tried looking at that.. Problem is I've always been a good player, but sound design isn't my forté. I worked a long time at my main tone, and got help from other people as well. I just can't understand what changed may have caused this. It sounds really bad in comparison.

Is it possible to go back to an older version? :'(
Otherwise I'll try uploading a past and a new recording of "the same preset" and see if anybody knows what may have caused what.
If you didn't backup your old presets, you cannot go back to an older version. Power amp modeling has changed drastically. Some Amp sims have changed.

I'd suggest doing Reset System Parameters in the Utility menu on the front panel. This resets your Global, I/O and Tuner menus, so set those up again - maybe take notes before the reset.

Then go to your presets and "reset the amp" by selecting a different amp type then going back to the one you want to use. Or you can fully reset the block (double tap Bypass on the front panel while in an edit screen, or click Block-Reset in Axe-Edit). You might find its easier to make the tones you want now, with less knob turning than before.

You are now on Quantum Amp Modeling, the 3rd Generation of modeling. It will sound different.

This is not a bug.

Backing up regularly is essential in any event. If you didn't do it before, make it your #1 priority now. As Chris stated, if you did back-up going to an older firmware is no prob.

Cliff has reworked a lot of the underlying modeling algorithms. Sometimes when he does it causes drastic changes in the sounds.

Start by resetting the amp block you are using (switch off it to another amp then back) and then tweak again.

I did, it's not as it was before, but it did make some difference. Should I do this on the other blocks as well? (Tone Matching, Comp, PEQ)

I did, it's not as it was before, but it did make some difference. Should I do this on the other blocks as well? (Tone Matching, Comp, PEQ)

No, only real thing updated were the amps. You could go back to the old firmware till you have time to get your head wrapped around to it.

No, only real thing updated were the amps. You could go back to the old firmware till you have time to get your head wrapped around to it.
he would lose all his presets - they'd load blank - unless he backed them up and then reloads them.

Unfortunately I didn't back anything up.
That's totally my fault and it totally bit me in the ass this time. I should do backups all the time and I never do.

Replacing the amp and re-tweeking did make it slightly better, so I just have to find out what more may have changed and caused the difference

Unfortunately I didn't back anything up.

So mark this one as a "lesson", but a good one. Going back to FW 16-18 really isn't going to be worth it once you hear the quality improvements that Quantum Physics gave the AFX. Word of advice, listen to Kansas and accept the "Point of no return" 'HOW LONG?! DADADADADADADADADADAD HOW LONG?!'

Once you move past the PONR, load up the factory defaults for Q1+ from fractal's site and listen to bliss. If you were proficient at all previously with Axe-Edit, you'll be fine. Quantum makes dialing in "that tone" so much easier and quicker.

Sorry for your misfortune, I promise you it'll be much better than before.

Best to see this as a learning opportunity and as a chance to rethink your sound with basically an entirely new box. It's a good thing.

Back
Top Bottom