G3 Dumble and Cliff's Impression

I can easily watch 2 Ernest Borgnine movies, back to back.
Pfff... I see live theatrical performances of Ernest movies everyday at work.

@TexAxe: I can't tell if you're serious or trolling us, but it's been entertaining either way.
One thing I agree with, but can't wrap my head around why, is the value of these things constantly going up... for most vintage and rare items, but particularly with musical instruments. Aside from being alive during the digital amp modeling "singularity," we also live in the boutique age for all things gear. There are several qualified individuals out there I would trust to replicate a sound & feel for a fraction of the price of a used market Dumble.
Things are only worth what someone is willing to pay for them, rare bird or not... I have a feeling owners of astronomically priced amps will learn that lesson the hard way during my lifetime.

Last edited:
Hey austinbuddy- first off, thanks for sharing some of your kit with Cliff both past and present. Second.. I had the chance to briefly play through Stephen Bruton's ODS while at a gig here in Austin a few years before he passed. Through one of those 4x10 Marshall cabs that looks like a smaller 4x12 shape. I've not played any other Dumbles before or sense, but that brief experience was an eye opener. I played his vintage 335 ('59 maybe?) so that added to the experience. Not sure if you happen to have ever met Stephen or that amp... I've always wondered about it. Miss hearing that guy as well...

Hotplate, I used to run into Stephen at Austin Vintage Guitars before he passed away and we'd chat; a great guy. He remains a favorite player of mine, and hearing him -- through the 1x12 Dumble (he had a few) at the Saxon Pub is a fond memory! He is one reason, actually HEARING a Dumble live, I got interested in that style of amp. You are indeed lucky to have played his beloved 335 (he LOVED that guitar) through that Dumble!

Last edited:
Things are only worth what someone is willing to pay for them, rare bird or not... I have a feeling owners of astronomically priced amps will learn that lesson the hard way during my lifetime.

This happens when the inventory of money > commonsense....

This happens when the inventory of money > commonsense....
I'm reminded of a saying about fools and their money.

EDIT: with the exception being Cliff, obviously, since he has brought unobtanium to the masses. My point is directed more at those who don't make earnings on such kinds of investments.

I saw Eric Sardinas Eric Sardinas Official Site playing a Dumble when his trio opened up for Steve Vai.

He played acoustic guitar through a Dumble stack. It was incredible. Reminded me of a Jimi Hendrix live show. The amp was either feeding back or right on the edge of feedback the whole set. Tremendous. He was in complete musical control of the feedback too.

Pfff... I see live theatrical performances of Ernest movies everyday at work.

@TexAxe: I can't tell if you're serious or trolling us, but it's been entertaining either way.
One thing I agree with, but can't wrap my head around why, is the value of these things constantly going up... for most vintage and rare items, but particularly with musical instruments. Aside from being alive during the digital amp modeling "singularity," we also live in the boutique age for all things gear. There are several qualified individuals out there I would trust to replicate a sound & feel for a fraction of the price of a used market Dumble.

not trolling anyone I was being serious.. I think the reason they keep going up is there might be 600 ods amps total out there the SSS maybe 30 exist
Dumble used to work a music store named Tru tone and around 2000 or before he was modifying Fender amps some were partial Mods some
were full ground up builds. The ultra phonic I own was a complete ground up built he gutted the amp entirely and it took about a year
to make the amp was made for Jamie Kime who played guitar with Dweezil Zappas band. He handed Dumble the amp in person Dumble called him back
about a year later and said out of the blue oh here is your amp bye the way its done. That amp was then sold to emmy lou harris guitarist and thats where I
purchased it from. I used to speak with Bruton and he owned more the 25 Dumble amps he knew Alex.. The manzamp was Bonnie Raitts amp Eric had that one for awhile and then landed the Odyssey which was in a black shell that had manzamp stenciled on the side.

I have no reason to troll anyone here or anywhere else for that matter. I have no idea why Dumbles bring so much other then there are not many of them to be had
I enjoy mine and as far as everyone learning the hard way I wish everyone the best on owning or selling them.
If the market for those crash the market for les pauls crash many good americans will bite the dust and everyone will be in that boat not just the ones
smart or dumb enough to buy a Dumble will be effected. everyone will suffer and only a fool would wish that on his own.
I want our economy to recover I bought mine as an investment for my son one day. When I bought mine the economy was doing better.
When Bruton bought his they were not as expensive he got them at low prices and hoarded them for the same reason investment and to
have and play them. During the time I was around Rays alot you could get a SSS for 5-8000 dollars.
I know what Eric paid for his and what Stevie paid was no where what anyone here would think. They got them for a good price an
when they had issues they had to pay out the wazoo to have them repaired. Why would I troll ? Think about that for just a second
what possibly benefit or gain would I have doing that ? Not trolling at all 100% serious. Im not 5 years old but I can laugh at myself.
If I come off as trollish or arrogant you are reading me completely wrong. I treat everyone I meet with respect I just expect the same in return
and instead I get troll comments or bla bla bla or verbal diarrhea ect I dont know those people and they dont bother me much at all.
If they cant take the time to read what ive experienced thats fine I dont expect everyone to do that just the ones that might wish to learn something.
As I said im all ears to hear about others experiences with these amps or Plexis or Voxes specific fender amps I learn that way as there are many amps
ive not heard to played Watkins dominator for one would like to hear one of those and play one or learn about them how they sound ect.

not trolling anyone I was being serious.. I think the reason they keep going up is there might be 600 ods amps total out there the SSS maybe 30 exist

snip to conserve bandwidth...

ive not heard to played Watkins dominator for one would like to hear one of those and play one or learn about them how they sound ect.

I quite find it interesting to read what you know about the mystical Ds thanks for that!

I think where you might have ruffle some feathers is when you started writing about your bad deal with Brandon; you would probably get more fans if you stay away from such exercises. Food for thought.

All the best.

Jean.

Some people have not owned a Plexi or Dumble they never had the chance to play them in person
I was just trying to share what I had played in person or even owned.

That was directed too those who had not played them are you going to be ok ?

What are your experiences with these amps ?
Which Dumbles have you guys owned or played in person ?
I can speak for my ODSR and comparing that too the ODS amp in G3.
I can speak for my Dumble and amps in G3 and which ones sound like that.

But bla bla bla someone with actual knowledge is just spewing verbal diarrhea here ?

Please share with us with your knowledge of these amps.

Overdrive special 6l6 or el 34.
ultra phonic 6l6 or el 34
Steel string singer 6550 both versions with and without cathode follower
ej or srv

which amp have you played in person ?
Taken the voltages from in person and bias settings.

I wont post again I will just wait to read what you know about these amps.
By all means please explain your experiences with these type amps.

Lionheart or loopie or BLA BLA BLA
which amps do you guys own ?

Which one have you played in person ?

Seriously id like to read your experience with each.
It helps me grow and learn and improve myself on being a better person.

Of the amps you own or have played on in person how did those compare too
G3 or 18 ?

I can only speak for ODS ODSR Phonic and the SSS amps both cathode and non cathode follower types.
or rather spew my verbal Diarrhea that is..

I am all ears to hear your take on these amps which ones have you played
how do you think G3 compares too them ?

Im still waiting to read Cliffs take and impressions of the ODS he owns compared too G3 or 18.
I guess he feels its basically the same since its included in 18.

My ODSR is el 34 version and by changing the tubes in G3 version I can get in the ballpark.
You know all about that though so please tell us your experience while you chime in here to
chip away at me.

Im all ears.

I'd love to hear your comparisons and opinions on those amps compared to G3/FW18, but 99.96% of your posts didn't include those[emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone

The Ds were not so mystical, there is a unneeded hype going on. These were amps for those who play an amp as a musicsl instrument instead of just making themself louder by amplifying their guitar.

The Ds were not so mystical, there is a unneeded hype going on. These were amps for those who play an amp as a musicsl instrument instead of just making themself louder by amplifying their guitar.

Fair enough, but you are an amp builder, in the bizz so to speak...from where I sit, these have been and will continue to exhibit a certain mystique...

It does appear as if a chosen few are paying for that hype and of course, that bubble may burst, but until then, it is quite an impressive phenomena to observe in real time...

Fair enough, but you are an amp builder, in the bizz so to speak...from where I sit, these have been and will continue to exhibit a certain mystique...

It does appear as if a chosen few are paying for that hype and of course, that bubble may burst, but until then, it is quite an impressive phenomena to observe in real time...

PS: I'm mainly an amp technician who repairs and modify amps.....I'm not calling myself a builder ;)

I'll agree with that, but that kind of IS the mystique, non? They really end up being a big part of the sound, while still having some transparency to the player and the axe. As a rule, the ODS series that I'm familiar with (not SSS or other amps Howard built) have a fairly distinctive voice to me, characterized by effortless sustain even at low volumes and low overdrive levels, a certain voicing of the midrange, consistency of tone across volume levels, bloom of notes, etc. They are all different to a degree, and tailored to whoever he built them for, but they are recognizable as ODS's on hearing them, whether they are HRM or not.

He seemed to really care about details and understand how to voice an amp. Worth $80k? Hey, that's capitalism - whatever the market will bear.

My clone took me a year to get where I wanted it. It probably would have taken HD a few days, and probably would have sounded better in the end. I kick myself for not ordering a real one back when I could have had one for $6,500 if memory serves. But I like my clone very much. And I am enjoying the variants in the AFX, especially now that Ownhammer has some cabs that I can get closer to the G12-65 sound out of.

Big Ds price list from 1990

price.jpg

..and 25yrs later they pay $80k. Market went crazy......:mrgreen

Back
Top Bottom