G3 Dumble and Cliff's Impression

Ok, but I'm sure you know a helluva lot about amps and you could probably build one if you needed to?

PS: I already did ;) - this weekend I'll have it with me at the german AxeFest in Daxweiler - a little handy 5W amp with d-style character, single channel - 6V6 power tube, 2-12AX7 preamp tubes, 5Y3 rectifier......this little beast has almost endless sustain and lot of bloom. My idealized d-style circuit, single ended. I'll do a video and will post it here later.....you will hear it! :)

But that makes me no amp designer or builder ;) at least in my understanding.
For corse I have plenty of data and also built myself a fully analog amp designer box, were you can change circuits within seconds in real time on a real tube amp. But this was mainly done for my modification service offers and private science experiments :)

PS: I already did ;) - this weekend I'll have it with me at the german AxeFest in Daxweiler - a little handy 5W amp with d-style character, single channel - 6V6 power tube, 2-12AX7 preamp tubes, 5Y3 rectifier......this little beast has almost endless sustain and lot of bloom. My idealized d-style circuit, single ended. I'll do a video and will post it here later.....you will hear it! :)

But that makes me no amp designer or builder ;) at least in my understanding.
For corse I have plenty of data and also built myself a fully analog amp designer box, were you can change circuits within seconds in real time on a real tube amp. But this was mainly done for my modification service offers and private science experiments :)

Cool man, anxious to hear that 5 watt gem you built!

I'd feel lucky my amps of choice cost between 700 and 1800€ used...if I didn't have an axeFX. The only amps I'v bought since I've owned one are toy lunchboxes for fun. (Some of which sound pretty good btw, especially the made in china H&K Tubemeister 18)

What about a Marshall Super Bass Mk2 from 1976, now with a 2nd life, engineered & re-build from ground up - two channels (Clean & Smooth Drive), separated Master & Gain knobs, post gain tonestack (Marshall SLP type but with no tone sucking when turn down the master volume), 4x12AX7 / 4xEL34M - six triodes in series in the lead channel - guess what, awesome blowing, flipping & singing D-Stye goodness! It's possible..... :D No limits! :D

https://www.facebook.com/casanovasolutions347/photos/p.411491622371283/411491622371283/?l=1bfe0809c5

It's been documented in other threads that Alan from a Carol Ann feels that having the modeled amp has brought him business he would not have ever gotten without it.

I agree - Two amps in particular are now on my radar because of experiencing models of them with my Axe-FX.

show us the way Tex Axe, we need presets and soundclips! If I could get a dime for every word I've read from you without no presets man I'm telling you :p

great to hear your work, pictures would be awesome! get a dropbox or something because I'm sure there are many of us wanting a glimpse into this tonecave of yours! :)

Keep em coming Tex! I love reading your tonegooped thoughts :D goop, I like that. goopie goop goop. Ah shiet man, it's been gooped!

Who you gonna call? Goopbusters! :D

Well Cobrango I have tried on several occasions to post clips here they do not load.
Same with pics or screen caps of settings..

I can only speak of experiences I have had in person heard in person seen in person.
I moved to Austin in 1981 and lived there over 20 years so I was around those
music shops alot..

I used to catch Stevie Ray for 50 cents at Steamboat on 6th street.
That was in the 80s though before that Id gotten into a club in Houston
under age at that and caught Eric Johnson...

So I was already exposed too Eric in 1978 and by the time I moved too Austin in 81
I had already caught Zappa live at the armadillo world headquarters oct 16 1980.

If I had a dime for everyone thats called me a liar or inferred I was one id be a billionaire.
I dont care if you believe me or not as far as working with Shawn Lanes family
contact his Mother directly and ask her if she thinks im a liar or not..
Her name is Diane Lane.

Contact her and ask her if I am a man of my word or not..

I got a note flip out of a solid state Princeton chorus one day. Is it the way the note interacts with the distortion that causes the flip?

I got a note flip out of a solid state Princeton chorus one day. Is it the way the note interacts with the distortion that causes the flip?
"Flips" are all about the way the guitarist interacts with the guitar. It's not an amp thing.

If you pull off harder than you pick (insert pun here), that's a "flip." If it's a dynamic, responsive amp, you notice it more.

Sometimes I wish the term "flip" would just go away. It's a Dumble myth that someone started a few years back. It was followed by posts about fruitless attempts to make it happen on an actual Dumble amp. It's a technique thing, not an amp thing.

Last edited:
@Rex: I respectfully disagree.....

It's a feel thing which experienced player will notice if it's there or not. Amp sound tuning and design is not just a bout math, also about feel and hear (and this is no myth). I actually made it happen with Fw12.03b4 back in january 2014

My designs were not dumble clones - I use the basic concept - clean preamp into an overdrive circuit. Search my facebook site, you can see some close up picts....

@fromthebark: Think before write....

It's a feel thing which experienced player will notice if it's there or not. Amp sound tuning and design is not just a bout math, also about feel and hear (and this is no myth). I actually made it happen with Fw12.03b4 back in january 2014
Teach me. What is the "flip" to you, and what causes it in an amp?

My designs were not dumble clones - I use the basic concept - clean preamp into an overdrive circuit. Search my facebook site, you can see some close up picts....

@fromthebark: Think before write....

You said that fw12.04 was the best out there for the Dumble, and that 13 killed it, and 14 got it back. How do u feel about 20.00? Better than 12.04?

Could someone please post two clips - one without 'flips' and a second one with the same melody but with 'flips'? I have been following the thread for a while but what you are talking about is still a mystery to me.

It's good to hear I'm not the only one a little fuzzy on what the 'note flip' actually is. I thought it was more to do with how a held note morphed into a feedback note.

It's good to hear I'm not the only one a little fuzzy on what the 'note flip' actually is. I thought it was more to do with how a held note morphed into a feedback note.

Yeah me either. No clue as to what a 'flip' is. But I am quite curious just for reference sake and a better understanding of what people reference when they describe something tone-wise.

Could someone please post two clips - one without 'flips' and a second one with the same melody but with 'flips'? I have been following the thread for a while but what you are talking about is still a mystery to me.

Yeah me either. No clue as to what a 'flip' is. But I am quite curious just for reference sake and a better understanding of what people reference when they describe something tone-wise.

The following threads talk about it, and also have some examples:

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-recordings/96139-ods-flip-dynamic-playing-dynamic-reactions.html

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-discussion/74557-dumble-note-flips.html

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-recordings/66997-axe-fx-ii-dumble-amp-patch.html

In the last thread's demo, liste around 00:28-00:31

Hope it helps.

a flip is called when note bloom "flips" into harmonic overtone, overplay your string attack the moment you pick the string. If you're a dynamic player, you get the reaction.... I'll not post any detail how it's exactly done on an amp (not posting any tech details anymore - see my sig, you get the point). According to some sources the PI plays a major role, but it is more related to biasing of the individual triode stages and something I call "pre amp sagging". I loved Fw 12.03b4 - this was huge! Sure, Fw20 would be cool - but to be honest, I mostly play my amps or the amps I'm currently working on - next would be a JTM45 which I have to "convert" into a HiGain D-concept.

The thing I love about d-concepts is the focused open character. You dim a strong clean preamp signal back to almost input level and push it up. Instead of already push the 2nd triode in your preamp into saturation and on going into the next stages.....but I have my own ideals, I don't need a perfect d-amp (which isn't existing ;) )

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom