FX8 Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fx8 will be a nice 4cm unit with the "pre" loop having no tone suck (the main downfall of most 4cm setups from my experience). Only thing I'm wondering is if more than 8 effects can be active (not necessarily more buttons) - ideally 10 for Gate,Wha,Comp,Mod,OD before the amp and Gate,EQ,Mod,Delay,Reverb in the amp's fx loop (gates and eq not necessarily needing physical buttons). This would be great for use with my lunchbox tube head or my combo.

Pretty good price as well if you consider the cost of doing a quality traditional pedal board with 8 quality effects, pedaltrain board, +pedal power Unit.

Last edited:
Fx8 will be a nice 4cm unit with the "pre" loop having no tone suck (the main downfall of most 4cm setups from my experience). Only thing I'm wondering is if more than 8 effects can be active (not necessarily more buttons) - ideally 10 for Gate,Wha,Comp,Mod,OD before the amp and Gate,EQ,Mod,Delay,Reverb in the amp's fx loop (gates and eq not necessarily needing physical buttons). This would be great for use with my lunchbox tube head or my combo.

Maybe he is talking to folks that use the AF2 with 4cm and implying that it will sound better (which I am sure it will since it is designed for that).

But in the tube world zero tone suck is pure marketing bullshit and goes against the laws of physics.

tone suck is always present and can be minimized by buffers, low cap cables, and well designed buffered loops.

If you have a properly set up pedalboard, use decent cables with a well designed and maintained amp, you should experience minimal tone suck.

I am sure you can do some measurements and counter it so it appears to be gone .. but as soon as you put a different cable it all changes again.

Minimize to the point you can't tell difference -- yes .. Zero - I call BS on that one.

Yes, I think tone suck before the the amp has been more of a challenge for digital multi-fx units than for traditional pedals (all the mfx I've owned have had more tone impact in front of the amp compared to traditional pedals - Axfx also but less so). I guess this is why many pro artists prefer traditional pedals before amp input. Maybe the Fx8 will change that practise.

What is tone suck? What are these physical laws? Be sure to be precise. There will be a test later.

You serious?

You want an explanation of what tone suck is?

The easy answer is if you don't know what it is ... or recognize it ... then don't worry about it.

Last edited:
OK super dumb question: Could you use this in conjunction with an AxeFX and have almost 2x the effects capabilities + control of the AxeFX itself?

You serious?

The easy answer is if you don't know what it is ... or recognize it ... then don't worry about it.

I think he was asking if we know what it is precisely and scientifically. I don't, but would like to, given the time I've spent trying to do a really good 4cm (usually putting it aside to play fully digital frfr which I prefer more and more).

I think he was asking if we know what it is precisely and scientifically. I don't, but would like to, given the time I've spent trying to do a really good 4cm (usually putting it aside to play fully digital frfr which I prefer more and more).

Sure .. let me break out my slide ruler, and multimeter and start measuring picofarads to and from my amp and calculate how much the treble changes over distance.

No thank you I think I'll pass..

I need to catch up on my blood sucking first. Season 5 of Vampire Diaries just hit Netflix.

With regard to tone suck, it may be caused by a disturbance in the Force, for all I care. What I care about is that my tube amp retains the "THWACK" that a good tube amp is supposed to have. If the FX8 gives me that, with Fractal quality effects and flexibility - I may literally piss myself.

Last edited:
You serious?

Dude you can be such a jerk when you set your mind to it. You manage to call "bullshit" on something you have yet to hear or experience.

Where the hell were you raised to come into somebody's house (this forum) and call the owner a liar. Would you please go piss on somebody else's lawn?

Please?

i personally will believe cliff over a 2k forum user,

however i was surprised at the lack of respect shown to cliff, someone must be having thier man periods

I have a couple questions,

Could you post what kind of Delays the FX8 has? was hoping for some Analog Delays

Can you add any Pedals of your own in between the Chain as you would with any of the AXE units and if so where would be the best place for a Amp Model Pedal for Recording Direct

Will the Effect be better than what I have on my Ultra?

Thanks for any answer.

Vic

Hey man I call it like I read it ...

You can blow all the smoke you want up your ass .... but zero tone suck is touted by every basement boutique pedal builder that figured out how to print and stick a label on a stock volume pedal and sell it for a $200 profit.

If you have a multi effects unit and do not have patch cables connecting individual pedals, there is going to be less resistance between your guitar and amp thus reducing the amount of highs that are lost.

wonderful ... big deal. I get that. Tell me something I do not know or that you cannot do with another decent multi effects unit.

so you connect you amp's effects loop and the unit works properly with the loop? again ... is this some revelation? Is this the first time that a multi effects unit actually worked with an amp loop?

The FAS marketing guys need to come up with something better.

Talk to me about routing
Talk to me about programming
Talk to me about the editor
Talk to me about the things that make this unit different.

Just don't come at me with the old rap about tone suck.

FYI

I am on the list and will be buying the FX8 as soon as it is available.

Why? Because I own an AF2 and I know the quality of effects that are under the hood. Period.

Like I said ... I call it the way i read it.

If you don't like it ... put me on your ignore list.

Dude you can be such a jerk when you set your mind to it. You manage to call "bullshit" on something you have yet to hear or experience.

Where the hell were you raised to come into somebody's house (this forum) and call the owner a liar. Would you please go piss on somebody else's lawn?

Please?

Last edited:
Since this unit has TRS relay switching makes it a desirable unit for me.

Complete noob here to high end effects like this, but now getting much more serious about my live sound and so checking out what's available. Can I ask the rookie question of the year - does TRS relay switching mean you can control the channels / effects on your amp as well as the ones in the FX8?

Thanks, J

Complete noob here to high end effects like this, but now getting much more serious about my live sound and so checking out what's available. Can I ask the rookie question of the year - does TRS relay switching mean you can control the channels / effects on your amp as well as the ones in the FX8?

Thanks, J

Yes. It's usually for switching channels on an amp, though some like Mesa boogie also have boost and loop controls.

Hey man I call it like I read it ...

You can blow all the smoke you want up your ass .... but zero tone suck is touted by every basement boutique pedal builder that figured out how to print and stick a label on a stock volume pedal and sell it for a $200 profit.
Even if you hang on your opinion , you should me more respectfull against the forum members .Besides , your technical knowleges should come as a support and not as contreverses ....IMO you must change attitude quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom