FM3 ..... USB 2 Type B Port on the back of the FM3 ......No Power Provided ** UPDATED **

The center post on a USB-B recepticle is susceptible (no rhyme intended) to more strain than it can handle. Accidentally bumping a USB-B plug can snap it off, too many repeated insert cycles at the wrong angle can over time weaken it and cause spotty connectivity. Hell, even the weight of a cable over time can cause enough stress to break it. Sure, better manufacturing and materials can possibly mitigate some of it, but it's a flaw in the specification of the port.

Also (unrelated) it's not reversible.

I can absoluty confirm this point. The first time (I really mean first) I unplugged and plugged again the usb cable, thinking the deceptive dissymatrical plug is working, I did it as usual with all USB devices : blindfoldy, without looking it specifically.

Result : broken FM3 plug, I need to send it back for repair...

Beware of pluging/unplugging those little pins.....

Maybe don't worry about it and use the FM3 for playing guitar. Just use the USB-B for FM3 Edit, Fractal Bot, and USB Audio I/O.

Since the FM3 requires powering through an IEC cable anyway, and probably there are FRFR monitors or an amp, and certainly the drummer's kegerator that all require power as well: A larger power strip that can also accommodate a USB charger for other devices can solve this vexing problem.

So, it can provide power if "enabled".... by solder or firmware?

Not trying to accuse anyone of deceit just hoping it isn't the work of the headphone-jack-installer and instead to be surprised there is a reason to design and create a firmware switch to interrupt power to a port put there for future use? And if it is the former I'm pretty good with a soldering iron so maybe I can fix mine if the need arises.

By firmware.

There's no power there unless enabled though so don't think you can use it to provide 5V. There's a current switch that the firmware has to enable.
Thats kind of cool but makes me wonder what is the reason to be able to flip that switch? Maybe the planned 'future use' is something you want to be able to switch power on and off to?

Thats kind of cool but makes me wonder what is the reason to be able to flip that switch? Maybe the planned 'future use' is something you want to be able to switch power on and off to?
Because that's the way you do it. If there's an overcurrent situation you turn the switch off. You don't want a short-circuit hanging off your product and burning the traces up.

I can absoluty confirm this point. The first time (I really mean first) I unplugged and plugged again the usb cable, thinking the deceptive dissymatrical plug is working, I did it as usual with all USB devices : blindfoldy, without looking it specifically.

Result : broken FM3 plug, I need to send it back for repair...

Beware of pluging/unplugging those little pins.....

Mine also broke on day 1 first time unplugging it, the center cap just came out straight away. Have used this type of port on other devices like morningstar, stomp, boss etc just fine. Had to send it back for repair.

No. The new FM9 doesn't have it and the new AxFxIII Turbo doesn't have it. Fm3's USB-A is obsolete. Whatever plans Fractal had for it were dropped.
I would like to have it enabled so I could use it to power a little LED lamp to illuminate the buttons on FM3.

@jaza69 One more reason to give us FM3 users this power option.
If no other use cases are on the table, it would only collect dust.
To give it any kind of "reason to be", the power mode would be at least something :)

No. The new FM9 doesn't have it and the new AxFxIII Turbo doesn't have it. Fm3's USB-A is obsolete. Whatever plans Fractal had for it were dropped.
I would like to have it enabled so I could use it to power a little LED lamp to illuminate the buttons on FM3.
Do you have some evidence of that? If not it's merely speculation...

Haha 2 more cents in this ever lasting thread. Now that I'll shortly will receive a Hotone midi controller it would be nice to have the usb supply instead of having to fabricate a FAS link derived adaptor and of course void warranty....

[...] Fm3's USB-A is obsolete. Whatever plans Fractal had for it were dropped.
I have never seen Fractal say there will never be a use for the USB-A jack, just that they haven't decided what to do with it. There's a difference between that and it being obsolete or plans for it being dropped:
"The USB-A connector is for a FLASH drive to import/ export presets. However it’s currently not working yet."[39]
“The USB-A port can be whatever we want but it requires writing drivers (or buying them and hooking them into the OS). If the demand is great enough we can look into these things. Peripheral drivers are a lot easier than host drivers and USB-A is host.” [40]
"The USB-A port can provide power if enabled. At this point the port is disabled and reserved for future expansion." [41]
"The USB A port is NOT designed to be connected to a computer. It is reserved for future expansion." (..) "We also looked into the ramifications of doing this and it WON'T damage anything. It just won't work."[42]
Type-B USB connections are designated by the standard to be used for peripherals, such as printers, not hosts, so the enabled Type-B port can NOT support connections to another peripheral, nor can it supply power. People need to read the specs, or at least overviews, and realize that their wishes and opinions aren't informed, that wishing loudly and repeatedly won't change anything, and let that particular idea go.

In a previous reply in this thread, Cliff said:
Because that's the way you do it. If there's an overcurrent situation you turn the switch off. You don't want a short-circuit hanging off your product and burning the traces up.
Because people are so bound and determined to mis-use USB ports, I'm glad that FAS didn't enable it for the company's sake. The support calls and forum would be regularly hearing from people complaining how their FM3 died when they plugged in their device of the day using a shredded cable. And that's why I think we haven't seen it turned on, because FAS can't release a firmware update for people that'd keep them from doing dumb things.

In the beginning I thought it would be to control an external audio device for recalling loops for example. Anyway can't wait so for the time being I'll use a (fused) buck converter on the fas link connector.

In the beginning I thought it would be to control an external audio device for recalling loops for example. Anyway can't wait so for the time being I'll use a (fused) buck converter on the fas link connector.

Custom made or is there something "ready to go" on the market? Could you share some links please? :)

Back
Top Bottom