• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Announcing the FM3 Amp Modeler/FX Processor!

Retro Rick

Inspired
physically you can. and if the FM3 USB-A provides enough power, it would work. that would be really cool! you'd still need a MIDI cable too, but power would be really convenient.
The FM3 USB-A is for a memory stick to upload/download presets sometime in the future.
To use a midi controller you will need 2 chords, a midi chord and a power chord, unless you use phantom power
but as I said either way you will need a wall wart power supply. The cleanest most elegant way to go is with the FC6.

mikah912

Inspired
i'll start the first Wish List item. i'm sure that will go over well haha.
I could be wrong, but I don't think Cliff is necessarily creating a modular system that's so standard compliant, then asserting it's gotta be Fractal peripherals or GTFO.

I'm sure he'd be ok if you bought a FM3 and used the MIDI controllers you already have, just like people have been doing with the rack units for some time. It only helps him if FM3 is so awesome that it works with whatever ya got onhand.

chris

Legend!
The FM3 USB-A is for a memory stick to upload/download presets sometime in the future.
To use a midi controller you will need 2 chords, a midi chord and a power chord, unless you use phantom power
but as I said either way you will need a wall wart power supply. The cleanest most elegant way to go is with the FC6.
ok.

the MC6 can be powered by USB bus. if the USB-A provides enough power, it could potentially power the MC6.

but now i'm just repeating myself.

mikah912

Inspired
The Morningstar MC6 has a USB-B connector. That can also power it when connected to laptops. I see no reason why it couldn't here.

Retro Rick

Inspired
ok.

the MC6 can be powered by USB bus. if the USB-A provides enough power, it could potentially power the MC6.

but now i'm just repeating myself.
If that were true, you would still need 2 chords, midi for data, usb for power. Unless you get a Melo midi controller which works on batts.

pauliusmm

Fractal Fanatic
The USB-A port can be whatever we want but it requires writing drivers (or buying them and hooking them into the OS). If the demand is great enough we can look into these things. Peripheral drivers are a lot easier than host drivers and USB-A is host.
1 vote for Midi controller support over USB A :) I would never use it for thumb drive, I can use AXE Edit to backup and load presets.

bjjp2

Veteran
Sorry if this is a little off topic but can a USB-B port (which is the only one on the FC6) provide power to an MC6?

lqdsnddist

Axe-Master
1 vote for Midi controller support over USB A :) I would never use it for thumb drive, I can use AXE Edit to backup and load presets.

I’d never use it either, but, I think it would be really cool for touring artists, one off gigs etc. just show up with their guitar, request a FM3 be provided, load their patches via USB and play

Harm

Regular
Hi all,

I was doubting about wether to postvsomething or not, because I do not want to get flamed. So let me start by saying that I am a fan and by now nearly sold everything I owned prior to buying my axe fx II. (Triaxis, 2:90, mashall jmp1, tc g-force, etc etc. ) I am in no way saying anything negative about sound or customer service because I am simply more than happy.
With the latest two products I see a few downsides FOR ME. (So I am only giving my humble opinion). The axe 3 ‘s new footcontrollers, Have a larger footprint if you try to get the samy kind of layout as the mfc-101. You need 2 fc-12 controllers. That will also be much more expensive than the mfc-101. I am aware that I can keep using my mfc, but If I want to go in all the way and use the max of my axe III, I of course would like to buy them. Combined with cc controllers it takes up a hell of a lot of floorspace.
Second: the new FM3 seems to require an extra midi pedal to make it useable on stage. That means additional Costs. (I remember replacing my ground control pro with my mfc and being amazed with how much it changed for me. Suddenly my axe was used much more like its potential. I never want anything else than a matching controller anymore)
Lastly: too bad that you need a power cable when you have more than one fc Footcontroller. The maximum ease of use that fractal offered in the axe 2range has done a step back, it seems.
That is all I wanted to say. Just a different point of view. That does not mean I am not very enthousiastic about the axe 3. I think the fm3 is not a complete product. As said, you need to add an extra footcontroller and I think tjat that is overlooked by many ppl at this moment. As I said again, just my humble opinion.

Last edited:

pmella

New here
Please add 2-amps support. I already use an Fx8 and I would like to use the FM3 for practicing without real amps by connect the FX8 to the FM3. I hope it is a vald use case, this way i do not have to recreate my presets in something like an axefx or other device.

Thanks!

Toopy14

Fractal Fanatic

chris

Legend!
Please add 2-amps support. I already use an Fx8 and I would like to use the FM3 for practicing without real amps by connect the FX8 to the FM3. I hope it is a vald use case, this way i do not have to recreate my presets in something like an axefx or other device.

Thanks!
it's not going to happen. you can't just add things because it's digital.

Top Bottom