FM3 ..... USB 2 Type B Port on the back of the FM3 ......No Power Provided ** UPDATED **

ben ifin

Experienced
** UPDATED => See Post # 40 **

Hi all !

I emailed Fractal pre-sales support re: the USB 2 Type B Port on the back of the FM3 - they got back to me super quick and super friendly - below is my note and their response in blue.

Ben

Hi Fractal Sales !

I currently own both an AXE FX 3 and an AX8 and am on the FM3 waitlist - keen to get my hands on the FM3 :)

I have a quick question please regarding the USB 2 Type B Port on the back of the FM3.

I have a Morningstar MC6 6 x Button Midi Foot switch which can be USB Port powered - it too has a USB 2 Type B Port on it.

My plan / hope is to connect the Morningstar MC6 to the FM3 via the 2 Traditional Midi I/O ports -and then- use a USB 2 Type B cable to power the Morningstar MC6 from the port on the back of the FM3.

As such my 2 questions are:-

(a) =>
will this work to power the Morningstar MC6 (?)

(b) => will it cause any problems / issues (?)

Thanks
--------------
Fractal Audio Sales
2:25 AM (8 hours ago)
to me

Hi

This will not work. The USB port of the FM3 does not provide power.

Fractal
-------------

Last edited:
This makes no sense, if it doesn't provide power then there would be no way to connect any peripheral to it at all, even pen drives or dongles need power.
Are we sure they understood you were talking about the type B port before replying?

Last edited:
I've just sent the following note to seek clarification - I'll report back when i get a response:-
----------
Hi Fractal !

Just to clarify please. The FM3 has 2 x USB Ports …. 1 x Type A USB 2 Port -and- 1 x Type B USB 2 Port.

So are you saying that neither of these 2 USB ports provide power out (?)

Thanks again,
Ben
----------

Last edited:
The Morningstar MCII midi controller is powered by usb or 9volt adapter. The hope was to be able to power it via the FM3’s USB port.

The Morningstar has a USB B port and you’d want to connect it to an A port for power. Unfortunately, that isn’t going to work for the FM3. I have a mini MIDI controller that I need to power via USB so I use either a USB battery or I’ve got a couple power strips with USB A ports.

The power block in the FM3 is designed to power the FM3 and an FC6. Trying to do anything else would likely zorch that thing.

By definition the USB-A port can deliver at least 500mW/100mA to an attached device, e.g. a thumb drive. If that's enough to power a Morningstar FC then go do it. Just don't expect the FM3 to receive any MIDI command through that connection. That still requires a MIDI cable running from the FC MIDI out to the FM3 MIDI in.

Where has this been stated ? Pretty hard to not make it deliver power except through not connecting it on the PCB.
Yeah, thought the same, if it doesn't provide power it's probably disconnected from the pcb, and I'd wonder why it's there at that point.
Unless there's a way to turn it off via software.

Back
Top Bottom