FM3 ..... USB 2 Type B Port on the back of the FM3 ......No Power Provided ** UPDATED **

Three conspiracy theories on this unused hardware feature which has been begged for since day 1 of the FM3 (just for power if nothing else, though it would be great to load presets via USB sans an editor for those with multiple FM3's, say home and studio etc)?

a) Due to PCB layout or some other problem it creates noise in the audio?

b) It has a problem in implementation (like the MIDI IN missing a spec'd current limiting resistor with regards to MIDI power)?

c) The PS doesn't have the capacity to run the FM3 and FASLink, plus USB power.

No matter, they likely aren't going to turn it on at this late stage after all of our whining through the years, so get a powered hub if need be.

There's a solution you can use by tapping of 13V from your FAS link port if you do not use that one. I recommend to fuse it with 500mA Ultra Fast fuse.
I actually plan to tap this off the power that actually feeds the VOES MX-5 on my pedalboard so to power supply a midiBeam 4Control EXP/dualSPDT-to-midi converter as I want to add a dual SPDT to my pedal board. For 70€ all inclusive (the buck converter plus the midi adaptor) it's a steal.

1704533881107.png

There's a solution you can use by tapping of 13V from your FAS link port if you do not use that one. I recommend to fuse it with 500mA Ultra Fast fuse.
I actually plan to tap this off the power that actually feeds the VOES MX-5 on my pedalboard so to power supply a midiBeam 4Control EXP/dualSPDT-to-midi converter as I want to add a dual SPDT to my pedal board. For 70€ all inclusive (the buck converter plus the midi adaptor) it's a steal.

View attachment 132678

There is a thread about this topic.
There is a cheaper way .. custom XLR connector > Engl Step Downer (15€) > Joyo Isolator (10€).

There is a thread about this topic.
There is a cheaper way .. custom XLR connector > Engl Step Downer (15€) > Joyo Isolator (10€).
Can't seem to find the Engl step downer, what is it? Anyway against 50cts and some 5-10€ for wire, a fuseholder and an old XLR connector with some resin it will be hard to compete. But this joyo power block with filtering is a nice solution. Will check that other thread, remember that subject but did not find it on the forum right away. With 70€ I have the exp to midi converter included BTW.
Actually I have no hum, but if that appears this joyo thing seems a good hint.

Engl: https://www.thomann.de/de/engl_powertap_portable.htm
Joyo: https://www.thomann.de/de/joyo_zgp_noise_blocker.htm

I have both running for over a year without any problems (as a gigging musician).
Works solid and both analog and digital devices are running perfectly with it!
Is the joyo really needed? I did the same with the Engl to power a tc helicon pedal which I use as my mic preamp and phantom power, and it doesn't have any noise issue with just the Engl.

Is the joyo really needed? I did the same with the Engl to power a tc helicon pedal which I use as my mic preamp and phantom power, and it doesn't have any noise issue with just the Engl.
It depends; I am powering a Boss WL-60 wireless receiver. Without isolation, (I am using a Gig Rig Virtual battery, same kind of thing as the Joyo Noise Blocker), I get a high pitched 'whistle'.

It depends; I am powering a Boss WL-60 wireless receiver. Without isolation, (I am using a Gig Rig Virtual battery, same kind of thing as the Joyo Noise Blocker), I get a high pitched 'whistle'.
Yeah, I guess it depends on the pedal, maybe the TC helicon already has some filtering on the DC input

It depends. My Digitech Drop is noisy without the isolator, other pedals are fine without it.
So I simply recommend the isolator because everything works with it :) And it's just 10€ ...

Back
Top Bottom