Fender FR-12 preamp mod : The Hissterectomy

Phantom can only come in from the xlr out.

If there was phantom on the xlr input it would have to come from the preamp, which does not output phantom power(any FR-12/10 preamp stock or otherwise). 🙂
I meant if, for some crazy reason, I get messed up with the cables and plug the one coming from a mixer with phantom power activated into the XLR input instead of plugging it into the output...

In that case, would I fry my V2?

Last edited:
I meant if, for some crazy reason, I get messed up with the cables and plug the one coming from a mixer with phantom power activated into the XLR input instead of plugging it into the output...

In that case, would I fry my V2?
The balanced input to the V2 is protected from phantom power. This is after the input board which protects it from both the input and output xlr jacks.

Honestly, I had no idea that there would be such an important difference between the male and female connectors.

...And I reeeealy hope you all read this with absolutely no pun intended :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:
91yzlS4LVvL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

I have already posted their schematic for the 1st 2 stages. They should know better.

I'm not posting a lecture (or Sermon) on how to isolate inputs from phantom. Just go with whateverdude 🙄

If you know, you know.

Last edited:
Do you think our man there genuinely believes what he's saying, but has been misinformed by the people responsible for manufacturing the circuit? Or perhaps they've quietly changed it?
He's a salesdude. And they also may have fixed some of this dumb stuff in the background.

But not in the 4 stock pres I have here.

They are planning on building a lot of these. Someone has bought up a whole lot of the now obsolete TDA 2050 amps ... like used in the FR-xx. ..Like drained ShenZhen and Europe and the big US electronics suppliers.

It is the same IC used in the BigF Frontman and some Rando 30W solid state Marshall.

Let them talk.
I'll keep fixing them.

Also getting some h8 from one of the Atomic CLR dudes on TGF. I am honored that one of the designers of the CLR thinks I am doing it wrong 🤣.

Guilty as charged. I do nothing similar to the epic failure of design and support that has become the albatross hanging on the CLRs neck. I would be embarrassed to have my name associated with that engineering nightmare from 12ish years ago...but man they have quite a crush on me for fixing these FRs 😂🤣

So yep. I am totally doing this wrong.

And I am pretty sure everyone here can do a null test in a DAW and learn that the signal coming from the stock FR is 180° out of phase from the input signal.... Without a bunch of drama.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom