Fender FR-12 preamp mod : The Hissterectomy

It's a real preamp, not just teasing. I modded a V2 into a Frankenstein V3 and tested all this crazy stuff . I am putting together the order for some proofs now.
Well, it's official guys... This man has no sympathy or mercy on our GAS corroded souls.

He wants all of us to suffer and crave during every single second of the V3 development saga.

Every. Single. Second.

Maybe I'm strange but I don't watch the clear volume knob when gigging, or rehearsing, or even when practicing at home, so for me it's a non-issue.
It’s not strange that you don’t “watch” the volume knob when playing.
There’s hidden sarcasm methinks…
I much prefer the multi position military grade knobs of the eq.

Nice!

Can you make it in a version that won't toast the internals? :)
Easy, just don't flip the internal mod switches. ..Or dime out the eq.

It's a lot like the V2 when set that way. The eq has more boost now with the high headroom op amps, and after deleting the 4th eq stage for the new cut control . I had to dial the lowest bass bands down a bit. And dial down the horn amp gain.

TBH .. you can tear stuff up with the V2 too. I'm glad no one has smoked anything yet out of 60 or so V2s.

Last edited:
The V3 is for grown ups with some self control. It has enough power to really tear some stuff up in the FR... And we don't have replacement parts.
Nothing against the kids that crank their stuff to 11, but this pre is not for them.

I set the trigger for the clip light much higher ..so when it glows angry red its time to back something off. It can do 125-130dB in the flat setting with the volume near noon.
Yes, I'll take 2.
happy episode 8 GIF

Easy, just don't flip the internal mod switches. ..Or dime out the eq.

It's a lot like the V2 when set that way. The eq has more boost now with the high headroom op amps, and after deleting the 4th eq stage for the new cut control . I had to dial the lowest bass bands down a bit. And dial down the horn amp gain.

TBH .. you can tear stuff up with the V2 too. I'm glad no one has smoked anything yet out of 60 or so V2s.
Understood.

I briefly considered asking how feasible it would be to put in a limiter bypassed with a prominently-labeled "Use At Your Own Risk" switch. Then I realized that would open you up to a whole raft of "I swear I didn't touch that switch" moments.

Understood.

I briefly considered asking how feasible it would be to put in a limiter bypassed with a prominently-labeled "Use At Your Own Risk" switch. Then I realized that would open you up to a whole raft of "I swear I didn't touch that switch" moments.
There is some extra risk turning it into a hotrod. But good Lord it sounds so much better!

I have spent a lot of time tonight with the V3 FR12 on the left and a V2 gold FR12 on the right and the BadCat in the middle.

I can't keep from sharing this design for worrying that someone might get stupid with it. If it turns ugly, I can always release the V2 design as SMT as another option. Or rip the switches out 🤣

There is some extra risk turning it into a hotrod. But good Lord it sounds so much better!

I have spent a lot of time tonight with the V3 FR12 on the left and a V2 gold FR12 on the right and the BadCat in the middle.

I can't keep from sharing this design for worrying that someone might get stupid with it. If it turns ugly, I can always release the V2 design as SMT as another option. Or rip the switches out 🤣
Forgive the idea hamster that's welling up inside of me...

How much of the new sweetness is the result of the ability to slam the poo out of transients? How much of it would be sacrificed with a limiter in place?

It's been a long day out of town visiting my dad and helping his caregiver with her own health issues. My brain is toast, but this idea keeps intruding.

Last edited:
Forgive the idea hamster that's welling up inside of me...

How much if the new sweetness is the result of the ability to slam the poo out of transients? How much of it would be sacrificed with a limiter in place?

It's been a long day out of town visiting my dad and helping his caregiver with her own health issues. My brain is toast, but this idea keeps intruding.
Sorry about family health issues. That is stressful stuff.

The limiter would be easy to implement in a digital environment. But for this analog pre, I am certain that a lot of the improvement is from deleting a whole eq stage and splitting the gain between 2 stages. The extra headroom helps a lot with the transients too.

I think adding a limiter is going back in the wrong direction ..where the V3 is proving that less is a whole lot more.

I was right on point about the V3 going to 18
gain (and overall volume) ratios:

if.. The V2 is 13
The V3 is 14
the V3 with the gain mod on is 17.5

The gain mod is a 25% boost for the V3 and is a 35% boost over the V2.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom