Fender FR-12 preamp mod : The Hissterectomy

Talking Episode 7 GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

The FR magic is the freq curve and cab resonance. That curve looks a lot like the FVM tone stack curve with everything at 12:00. It just feels more like an amp.
I thought you aimed for a “more” flat frequency curve? That way the modelled amps/speakers can do their thing without anything “extra” being added to that character. Then you offer a usable way to tweak the lows and highs due to fletcher munson (exagerated at bedroom levels, flat for loud).

Isn’t it the resonance of the plywood cab/its dimensions that give the amp in the room familiarity?

Nope 🙂
I wanted (and painstakingly re-created) the exact same freq response with the knobs at noon and the cut at zero. With an entirely new original eq design, a tuned front end and gain stage, and a tuned crossover..

Like spooky close cloned the exact response.

And I cut the hiss way out. And fixed a lot of dumb stuff while I was in there.

It is easier to get flat(ish) than the stock pre.

But they are not flat and should not be trusted for programming. They do take the same exact IR baked in FOH sound ..and make it feel just like a real amp behind you.

Several of us have expensive "flat" FRFR monitors gathering dust ...after getting most of the way back to a real amp behind you again with the FRs.

I have modeled almost the exact freq response of the stock FR with actual hardware. That is the V2 and soon V3 preamp solution. When you turn my eq knobs though... it gets crazy great.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom