Fender FR-12 preamp mod : The Hissterectomy

It sounds a lot more like my tube amp in the room. A Lot More!

I have hated using the 4 cascaded filters that I used in the V2 to make it sound exactly like the original FR .and to clone their cut knob.

3 filters cascaded is the limit for the Archangel Isometric Eq design unless it gets into series/parallel filters. Which is a whole 'nother thing. I am going to cut the 4th filter losses out completely and open her back up.

This V3 thing is backline awesome.. and Clean!
I am STOKED
This thing already sounds incredible stock, but it’s around 90% there “amp in the room” imho, maybe a little more. It definitely kills all the other FR’s and power amp/cabs I’ve tried. I genuinely can’t wait for V3.

I have hated using the 4 cascaded filters that I used in the V2 to make it sound exactly like the original FR .

3 filters cascaded is the limit for the Archangel Isometric Eq design unless it gets into series/parallel filters. Which is a whole 'nother thing. I am going to cut the 4th filter losses out completely and open her back up.

V3 sounds like it will be awesome!

If we are still on the waitlist from V2 era, does that mean we will end up getting a V3 instead?
depends on a couple of things.

Everyone on the waitlist will get one or two V2s until I run out .

Everyone after that will get a heads up when a hundred (or two ..or four) V3s .. are about to be available.

If the V3 is radically different from the V2, I may seriously build more V2s as SMT with the same exact design and Burr Brown Op amps. The V2 is still an amazing replacement for the stock pre.

The V3 may push the design outside of being faithful to the FR preamp. What I am hearing right now is light years above and beyond the backline thing that the FRs started.

Last edited:
you're going to 12, mate!
go to 11 spinal tap GIF

I am STOKED
This thing already sounds incredible stock, but it’s around 90% there “amp in the room” imho, maybe a little more. It definitely kills all the other FR’s and power amp/cabs I’ve tried. I genuinely can’t wait for V3.
I seriously have a tube amp in the room beside 2 FR-12s and 2 FR-10s

It has always misssed by a fraction. Until today.

It wasn't my modeling skills 😉 or lack thereof. I was really starting to question that. And my studio monitors don't do 100+ dB as well as a wall of hell behind me.

Last edited:
I love my V2's but (as mentioned in my previous posts in this thread) I really need the extra headroom... so I'm super hoping I can snag a pair of V3's! Thanks for working on these. Looks to be a fun project.

I have hated using the 4 cascaded filters that I used in the V2 to make it sound exactly like the original FR .and to clone their cut knob.

Very cool. It's going to be worth the wait.

The stock FR stuff can't hang with the V3.
But they sound ridiculous together at a sane level on the knobs.

I still think it's exactly where the V3 needs to be. But you can seriously clip the 12" and class D amp when diming out the knobs . It just can't take it.

I I am going to need both a V2S board as a replacement in SMD with the same Burr Brown ICs that will still be current for a long time, and with a proven design that sounds amazing.

And a V3 ridiculous hotrod edition that may blow our stuff up. (It sounds so good tho 🤣)

The stock FR stuff can't hang with the V3.
But they sound ridiculous together at a sane level on the knobs.

I still think it's exactly where the V3 needs to be. But you can seriously clip the 12" and class D amp when diming out the knobs . It just can't take it.

I I am going to need both a V2S board as a replacement in SMD with the same Burr Brown ICs that will still be current for a long time, and with a proven design that sounds amazing.

And a V3 ridiculous hotrod edition that may blow our stuff up. (It sounds so good tho 🤣)
So... you need new drivers. And you can probably improve on the cabinet design. You see where this is heading, right? :p

I'm good on beta testers for the V3.

I have a Pro A list country touring artist that is going to put one on the highway soon.

And Rex... you would be ideal as my second.

I'm going to tell you. You can break stuff with the V3. If you set it where you had it, it will blow it away.
..If you dime it out, everything aside from the V3 preamp will probably send smoke signals and then silence.

Back
Top Bottom