Feedback Problem

df88

Any ideas how to rid/minimize this feedback. I have noticed it on all my guitars and cords although there is difference between them. This is not exclusive to this particular patch; it happens on any higher gain patches. It is particularly annoying with palm muting as I hear a rebounding feedback after "chugging". Also, as I point my guitar a different direction the feedback increases and decreases accordingly; you can hear it in the following sample. It's not that noticeable in mixes but I would like to get rid of it and I have downloaded patches with similar gain where there was almost no feedback so I may be overlooking/unaware of something. Thanks.

Any ideas how to rid/minimize this feedback. I have noticed it on all my guitars and cords although there is difference between them. This is not exclusive to this particular patch; it happens on any higher gain patches. It is particularly annoying with palm muting as I hear a rebounding feedback after "chugging". Also, as I point my guitar a different direction the feedback increases and decreases accordingly; you can hear it in the following sample. It's not that noticeable in mixes but I would like to get rid of it and I have downloaded patches with similar gain where there was almost no feedback so I may be overlooking/unaware of something. Thanks.

Is this a single-coil guitar? I get the same kind of noise with my Squier Tele, but the noise gate can easily eliminate it most of the time. Just be sure to up the ratio around 2-2.5 and adjust the threshold after that. I have to admit that I get it sometimes with the noise gate correctly set, too, when sustaining a note, but that's a different story.

I get this a lot as well. BTW, this is not really considered feedback. It's more radio frequency interference. Usually brought about by a guitar that isn't particularly well grounded or by single coil pickups. I seem to notice the noise more in the Axe II than in the Kemper that I had. I did like the Kemper noise gate a lot better. I wish we could get a little better hum suppression out of the Axe. I really wonder if the Axe adds more hum than it should...I hear it in a lot of peoples recordings as well. I've been meaning to ask other peoples opinions on this.

It's not feedback, it's interference possibly caused by fluorescent lighting, dimmer switches or a CRT monitor. If you're using single coil pickups you might consider replacing them with something like a Dimarzio HS-3. If you're using hum bucking pickups you may have a wiring fault or poor shielding in your guitar.

There are alot of high gain patches that can have this type of noise. Have you tried usiing the Expander/Gate block?

Put it as the 1st block in the chain, I found that helps.

Finding and minimizing the source of the noise would be my first step. You are picking up EM interference that guitars are turning into sound. As has been said, CRT monitors, florescent lighting, and dimmers are some of the worse offenders.

if you can't eliminate the source of the interference, simply upping the input noise gate would probably help. in layout view, page right a couple of times and you'll see it

I hear it even with humbuckers when I approach the Axe in my rack. It goes away as I move back. It is like others have said interference. The noise gate will take care of it if all else fail.

The noise gate doesn't rid the feedback; I still get a rebounding "feedback" (im just going to call it that) for quick chugging. Ive tried playing with the parameters as well. It happens on all of my guitars: EMG 808's, Seymour Duncans.

OK; EM interference makes sense and I do have fluorescent lighting as well as my PC sitting right next to the Axe, but can anyone explain why some patches are completely feedback free. I have downloaded a high gain metal patch from Ola Englund and it was literally almost feedback free.

The Diezel Einstein in:
http://www.oep.se/Axe Fx 2/Ola Axe Fx 2 tonematch.zip

So why does this patch not have feedback for me; Das Metall amp is usually one of the heavier feedback generators for me but I replace this amp block with anything and I still have little to no feedback. I also erase everything on the patch and when rebuilding the patch with any amp I still get little feedback. I don't know if perhaps certain amp parameters are held the same in the patch or what.

if the "noise" is just as loud as the sound that you want, a noise gate won't help at all. it doesn't filter out bad sound from the good.

the hum in the first post is almost as loud as the regular guitar signal, so the gate settings would easily cut off any sustain and possibly some attack from the guitar sound.

for situations like this, you must find the source of the noise and eliminate it physically, not with an electronic gate.

I still get a rebounding "feedback" (im just going to call it that)

Don't, since it is not feedback, it is electrical noise. Bad connection in the grounding wire of your guitar, bad wiring in your wall socket, or just too much noise from lights and computers. The problem is there waiting to be fixed, don't kill your tone with a gate.

The noise gate doesn't rid the feedback; I still get a rebounding "feedback" (im just going to call it that) for quick chugging. Ive tried playing with the parameters as well. It happens on all of my guitars: EMG 808's, Seymour Duncans.

OK; EM interference makes sense and I do have fluorescent lighting as well as my PC sitting right next to the Axe, but can anyone explain why some patches are completely feedback free. I have downloaded a high gain metal patch from Ola Englund and it was literally almost feedback free.

The Diezel Einstein in:

So why does this patch not have feedback for me; Das Metall amp is usually one of the heavier feedback generators for me but I replace this amp block with anything and I still have little to no feedback. I also erase everything on the patch and when rebuilding the patch with any amp I still get little feedback. I don't know if perhaps certain amp parameters are held the same in the patch or what.

EM noise. OK. But anyone know why it is that this patch does not have the problem. Why would it not pertain to this patch in the same exact setting. Makes me think that it is not EM noise but something the Axe is doing itself.

Also, I tried to pinpoint why that particular patch is quiet and can not. Its pretty weird actually; I even recreated the exact amp settings (some dynamics and triode hardness were tweaked) in a typical patch and I still have the same "feedback". Almost like the patch itself has the quietness/cleanness. AGAIN, I can erase everything on the patch and build one from scratch on the same layout and it gives me a considerably less feedback. How can that be EM noise?/Why is this patch good with avoiding the "feedback"?

Like Simeon said ..........."if you can't eliminate the source of the interference, simply upping the input noise gate would probably help. in layout view, page right a couple of times and you'll see it"

That "Ola Englund" patch probably has the noise gate set up just right.??

Dude, you've got two threads covering the exact same topic with nearly the exact same title. I'll drop my posts on the other thread and keep my responses here.

EM interference makes sense but anyone with ideas why certain high gain patches have little to no "feedback".
Less gain means less susceptibility to interference.

The diesel Einstein in this:

Its in the patch as any amp used doesn't produce feedback.
It doesn't help to ask us to analyze a patch that doesn't have any problems, so we can tell you what's wrong with it. :)

You need to compare your trouble-free patch to the patch that picks up the interference. I'll bet dollars to donuts that your noisy patch has more gain—or different noise gate settings.

Dude, you've got two threads covering the exact same topic with nearly the exact same title. I'll drop my posts on the other thread and keep my responses here.

Less gain means less susceptibility to interference.

It doesn't help to ask us to analyze a patch that doesn't have any problems, so we can tell you what's wrong with it. :)

You need to compare your trouble-free patch to the patch that picks up the interference. I'll bet dollars to donuts that your noisy patch has more gain—or different noise gate settings.

Posted in recording then thought it would be better in discussion; my bad. Ignore the other one...

No. That is the noise-free patch and you would lose your dollars. What's different about it or why it works different is what I want to know. (think wrong = distinct) :) If its the same on both that patch and any other one for you that's great but if I started a fresh patch on the Axe using exact same GAIN and all other parameters the feedback is crap compared to that patch.

Here is some new information: It is in fact a low gain patch (1.3) or something, however, I can turn it up to max and it still has little feedback in comparison to starting a fresh patch. How does anyone go about starting a fresh patch? I honestly don't mind building all my patches from that source but I would like to know why it works that way. The EM noise stuff at this point doesn't seem to fit or at least does not have to be an issue.

Like Simeon said ..........."if you can't eliminate the source of the interference, simply upping the input noise gate would probably help. in layout view, page right a couple of times and you'll see it"

That "Ola Englund" patch probably has the noise gate set up just right.??

Its NOT the gate. There is not even one in the patch.
I can erase everything in the patch and start any choice I wish and the feedback problem is more or less gone according to me. It also has nothing to do with the GAIN although upping the gain increases what little "feedback" there is. The EM noise that people thought may be the culprit is present in this but far far more quiet and I do not mind.

Its NOT the gate. There is not even one in the patch. I can erase everything in the patch...
only commenting on this quote, there is a gate in every patch. it's called the Input gate, and it is accessed as said in the previous statement:

"in layout view, page right a couple of times and you'll see it"

there are 2 additional Gate blocks that you can add to the layout, but again, there is always the Input Gate in every preset. just wanting to clarify.

This is certainly EMI as others have stated. This should hangs as the position of your guitar changes. i.e. turning or facing it towards the ground/ceiling. You may have bad electric in your building.

I think we've established that. The problem to address is why the op hears it in his patches, but not in others. I think this has to do with two things. The op is unaware of the input noise gate and that it is probably active in the patches he's downloaded, masking the interference.

Back
Top Bottom