Feedback Problems

df88

Any ideas how to rid/minimize this feedback. I have noticed it on all my guitars and cords although there is difference between them. This is not exclusive to this particular patch; it happens on any higher gain patches. It is particularly annoying with palm muting as I hear a rebounding feedback after "chugging". Also, as I point my guitar a different direction the feedback increases and decreases accordingly; you can hear it in the following sample. It's not that noticeable in mixes but I would like to get rid of it and I have downloaded patches with similar gain where there was almost no feedback so I may be overlooking something. Thanks.

Sounds like your noise gate is set too low or not on at all. That's all:razz. I never get that feedback problem. never.

If you are using single coil pickups, they hum. If you are near a computer monitor, it causes more hum when it interacts with your guitar pickups. Yes, you can set your noise gate to stop the hum when you aren't playing, but the first time you start playing again, you will hear hum mixed with the guitar tone. You can minimize single coil hum by buying something like an Electro-Harmonix hum cancellation stomp box, or by buying noiseless single coils, or by replacing your single coils with stacked/mini-humbuckers that can fit inside the same body/pickguard cavity as your single coils, and then wire them in parallel/out of phase, which is still electronically humbucking, but sounds thin like a traditional single coil.

Short of the investment into new pickups or fancy wiring, you can try to move your computer monitor further away when you record, and lastly, use an old studio trick - FACE towards the West when you record your guitar parts with single coil guitars. No - I am not pulling your leg or joking at all. When you face WEST, it aligns the poles of the magnets in your single coil pickups with the North and South Pole, and makes them quieter. If you don't believe me, turn off the noise gating completely, turn on the volume of your guitar, and slowly turn in each direction. You will notice a sweet spot, where YOUR guitar is the quietest. It might not be the 90 degrees west, but it will be "westward". If you strap your guitar on, and you face West - it will be quieter than any of the other directions. Good luck.

That's not feedback. It's electromagnetic interference. If your guitar cable is in good working order, then the interference is getting in through your guitar. To test that, listen to the interference while you turn in a circle. You'll hear it get louder and softer.

You can either use the noise gate to minimize the problem, or find the nearby source of the interference, and kill at at the source.

Noise gates only work up to a certain point; I still get a slight rebound of feedback using gates. My PC is located right next to the Axe so perhaps that is the problem.

You may be getting inference along your cables with the axe close to the computer. That being said, mine is right above my computer and the monitor is right next to it and I dont have any issues. I DO have well shielded cables and humbuckers though.

EM interference makes sense but anyone with ideas why certain high gain patches have little to no "feedback". The diesel Einstein in this:
http://www.oep.se/Axe Fx 2/Ola Axe Fx 2 tonematch.zip

Its in the patch as any amp used doesn't produce feedback. Im not sure if certain amp parameters are being held constant due to the patch or something else but using the exact environment this patch gives me considerably less to NO feedback whatsoever.

The exact patch is in the link I posted. Yes it has a EQ block I believe but I can erase everything on the patch, choose any amp I wish, and it gives me significantly less feedback still. It is pretty weird actually, almost as if there is some setting to the patch itself. I even looked at amp parameters thinking that certain tweaks were just being held constant (sort of a bug) but I recreated the same parameters using a fresh patch, the typical way, and it still gives me the normal feedback I was talking about. I honestly can not pinpoint what makes it so quiet/clean.

EM interference makes sense but anyone with ideas why certain high gain patches have little to no "feedback".
Less gain means less susceptibility to interference.

The diesel Einstein in this:
http://www.oep.se/Axe Fx 2/Ola Axe Fx 2 tonematch.zip

Its in the patch as any amp used doesn't produce feedback.
It doesn't help to ask us to analyze a patch that doesn't have any problems, so we can tell you what's wrong with it. :)

You need to compare your trouble-free patch to the patch that picks up the interference. I'll bet dollars to donuts that your noisy patch has more gain.

Less gain means less susceptibility to interference.

It doesn't help to ask us to analyze a patch that doesn't have any problems, so we can tell you what's wrong with it. :)

You need to compare your trouble-free patch to the patch that picks up the interference. I'll bet dollars to donuts that your noisy patch has more gain.

No. That is the noise-free patch and you would lose your dollars. What's different about it or why it works different is what I want to know. (think wrong = distinct) :) If it doesn't work different for you that's great but if I started a fresh patch on the Axe using exact same GAIN and all other parameters the feedback is crap compared to that patch.

Here is some new information: It is in fact a low gain patch (1.3) or something, however, I can turn it up to max and it still has little feedback in comparison to starting a fresh patch. How does anyone go about starting a fresh patch? I honestly don't mind building all my patches from that source but I would like to know why it works that way. The EM noise stuff at this point doesn't seem to fit or at least does not have to be an issue.

Back
Top Bottom