FEAR FACTORY's Demanufacture sound in here!

I only listened on shitty internet cafe headphones but seems original tone has a little more highs.....its still extremely close! I cant wait to try the patch

theres lots of inaccuracies with dinos amp.....even later on dino himself changed his story!!! I'll post up what interviews I can find where he goes into depth about that amp in a week or so

colin richardson actually wanted dino to use a 5150 on that album but dino said no way

Ok i re-uploaded the patch.
This version is more accurate, the last version had a little more mids. This patch is the one i used for the recording.

Same link.

www.tddstudios.com/FF.zip

Don't forget that i used a 7 string ibanez with passive pups, Dino used a ESP 6 string (think a horizon) with emg 81's.
So if u use active pups u might want to back the drive of a little, and maybe the treble to.

hey dave is it the interview from the original ff site? but your right dino did change his story he has a habit of that lol still a great guitar player! buy the way your preset kicks ass

hmm keep having to relogin to post :S

another guy did a thread on the obsolete tone but it kinda derailed :oops:

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=21552

as far as I know the only difference between his setup was he switched from 6 string esp with EMG 81s (as seen in replica video) to the ibanez 7 strings with the 707 pickup

also he tuned down to A for some (if not all?) of the songs
I didnt like his tone near as much

keen to try the patch with an 81....big part of his sound ...many thanks to the OP!

Can the OP or anyone who has this patch kindly post the EQ settings? I have a standard and I'd like to try to do a close-enough patch with whatever EQs the standard is allowed to use.

On a side note, since EQs don't use THAT much CPU, it seems kinda arbitrary to impulse a limit on it, no?

yea that was a derailed situation my friend. the tone was close for obsolete but not as good it could be. i think this guy should give it a try i mean he did nail the demanufacture tone

aaronv84 said:
dino used an jcm 800 !!! BUT it was not stock he was in a guitar shop and a guy was playing through a custom modified 800. dino like it so much that he asked the guy to modify it the same way the guy charged him 75$ to do it. to my understanding the guy doubled the gain. but i know he ran the lows at 10 mids at 0 highs at 10.

Its not scooped mids from the amp, the amp is pushed with heavy mids prior to EQs in the FX loop which then cut some mids.

Yes the mids are slightly scooped in certain areas later - but not a blanket V shape scoop - because the 900HZ range is actually boosted after a later parametric cut for the obsolete tone.

The sound is not hard to get in real life.... you can get the exact same sound with the Kerry King signature Marshall amp - the JCM800 2203KK - it has very nice defined gain - but only if you first plug your guitar into the Q-zone pedal before the amp input - guitar into Q-zone pedal (or guitar into any mid boost/bass cut, or frown shaped EQ before distortion - or fixed bandpass filter before distortion) - and leave the amps EQ knobs fairly low - all at around 9 o'clock - maybe bass more at 11 o'clock.

and then what you do is you have to use the Mesa Rectifier cab with the V30s - but it has to be the straight cab, not the angled one. This is the exact sound - the Kerry King Head is basically an identically sounding hot-rodded 800 for more gain. But he uses Mode 4 cabs and other marshall cabs only - but marshall heads on Mesa cabs sound SICK! (And guess what - my Kerry King Amp is modifed with the addition of an FX loop!)

So with the mesa cab and this exact procedure I can get the sound dead on exact.

This sounds really good! Demanufacture is one of my favorite guitar tones ever. I'm surprised the 5150 sim was able to get this close. I would have thought the Brit Pre would be the way to go for this type of tight, hot-rodded Marshall tone.

LOL at the guy with the Metal Zone/Crate comment. I guess some people just don't understand the intricacies of a great modern metal tone.

Wow... other than a few EQ differences, its dead on, and I have never seen anyone come this close to modeling a tone before in my life.

How exactly did you approach this? Because mids are usually what is one of the toughest qualities to match in tones generally.

Thanks dudes!

Well it's probably the same approach as everyone else is doing.
First i try to come as close as possible with just amp and a cab, the i load the first eq.
Then i take a part from the original track en extract that in mono (just the left channel - very important)
Then i record my piece as close as possible to the original, extract that in mono and open both parts in Har-Bal *harmonic-balancer, that's an offline EQ program that's build for mastering but analyses audio in a very specific way. It let's me see an average eq curve.
Then i go to the eq in the axe-fx editor and change what needs to be changed, save that and go back to cubase.
Record the part again, extract that open it in Har-Bal and see what needs to be changed.
I do this several times until the curve matches the original. U can do this with voxengo curve EQ but Har-bal is extremely accurate (it's a separate program, not a plugin)

That is how i did it, this is probably a good way to to make impulses with the corrected eq curve.
But i still have to figure out how to do that in this way.

Gr,

Dave

dpeterson said:
am i missing something? sounds like a metalzone through a crate...
Hehehehe... I kinda thought so too. But, it sounds crazy close to the original!!
Killa job O.P.!!!!

HOLY MOLY!! No wonder so many guys think its dead-on cause there's actual science behind it! Great job! :twisted:

Dave2000 said:
Thanks dudes!

First i try to come as close as possible with just amp and a cab, the i load the first eq.
Then i take a part from the original track en extract that in mono (just the left channel - very important)
Then i record my piece as close as possible to the original, extract that in mono and open both parts in Har-Bal *harmonic-balancer, that's an offline EQ program that's build for mastering but analyses audio in a very specific way. It let's me see an average eq curve.
Then i go to the eq in the axe-fx editor and change what needs to be changed, save that and go back to cubase.
Record the part again, extract that open it in Har-Bal and see what needs to be changed.
I do this several times until the curve matches the original. U can do this with voxengo curve EQ but Har-bal is extremely accurate (it's a separate program, not a plugin)

That is how i did it, this is probably a good way to to make impulses with the corrected eq curve.

Gr,

Dave

Dave2000 said:
Thanks dudes!

Gr,

Dave

how do you go about making custom impulses!??!!?

mate I think I might have to paypal you a beer or something for this excellent job :D

aaronv84 said:
the tone was close for obsolete but not as good it could be.

Ok many people say they like the Demanufacture tone better than the Obsolete album, but there are also many who will tell you that the amp sound off obsolete is perfect.

My opinion is that the mids and "tone" and resonance is better off from Demanufacture, but the distortion i think is better off obsolete because its so defined.

Here is a suggestion - if someone can please try to make a hybrid of Demanufacture's mids and resonance, but with the super clean sounding high gain off Obsolete. That would be the perfect and ultimate tone IMO.

I wonder if Dave2000 can pull off that experiment. He should work together with DonPetersen on that one... but with no Variac modification model on the Axe to work with, it might be a tough proposition - which is why i think there might not be a pursuit in the Obsolete clone thread anymore, but I will have to contact DonPetersen to see if he is still working on it.

But I knowe the distortion from Obsolete has that lowered variac quality to it. So please join me in my quest for having Fractal Audio add a variac knob modification to the operating system. This i believe is absolutely vital for amp mods such as Dino's which for sure would have had that mod. Can you guys please do me a favor and please contact Cliff and put in that request? Thanks.

I'll try to do an Obsolete tone this weekend, i did one a few years ago with an engl 530 preamp and the same ibanez used for the demanufature tone, through a cab impulse, one of the catharsis.. i think (2-3 years ago). That kinda worked.
If someone can give me the details on what dino used, amp (jcm 800)-cab (v30), mic (sm-57?) mabye..

Gr,

Dave

Tone_Freak said:
aaronv84 said:
the tone was close for obsolete but not as good it could be.

Ok many people say they like the Demanufacture tone better than the Obsolete album, but there are also many who will tell you that the amp sound off obsolete is perfect.

My opinion is that the mids and "tone" and resonance is better off from Demanufacture, but the distortion i think is better off obsolete because its so defined.

Here is a suggestion - if someone can please try to make a hybrid of Demanufacture's mids and resonance, but with the super clean sounding high gain off Obsolete. That would be the perfect and ultimate tone IMO.

I wonder if Dave2000 can pull off that experiment. He should work together with DonPetersen on that one... but with no Variac modification model on the Axe to work with, it might be a tough proposition - which is why i think there might not be a pursuit in the Obsolete clone thread anymore, but I will have to contact DonPetersen to see if he is still working on it.

But I knowe the distortion from Obsolete has that lowered variac quality to it. So please join me in my quest for having Fractal Audio add a variac knob modification to the operating system. This i believe is absolutely vital for amp mods such as Dino's which for sure would have had that mod. Can you guys please do me a favor and please contact Cliff and put in that request? Thanks.

I don't know where you got the variac info from but dinos amp never had that ....I've even seen some of the clones he got done years ago on ebay and they didn't have anything like that on them
here was a guy that got one
http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f30/i-jus ... -9078.html

the only difference (which I have said a few times sorry to be broken record!) was switching to 7 string ibanez guitars and EMG 707s and downtuning.....different producer and maybe he did EQ the amp differently
for cabs I *thought* dino used mesa cabs
over and out till I post the interviews :lol:

Back
Top Bottom