FEAR FACTORY's Demanufacture sound in here!

DawnOfIniquity said:
I think we got all the useful info we could possibly get on the subject of Dino's Marshall amp.

I think it would be a stretch to say we got all of the info on the amp since I have reason to believe much of the mods were not disclosed. I also have good reason to believe there were additional mods - especially a variac as per his quest to go for the early van halen variac 'ed sound as per the last article.

It is also hard to say what type of specific pre amp mods were done in addition to the extra preamp tube or two for obsolete ... but difficult to determine the exact way it was modded. And proof is in the fact that even Dino couldn't get the sound back after.

Tone_Freak said:
DawnOfIniquity said:
I think we got all the useful info we could possibly get on the subject of Dino's Marshall amp.

I think it would be a stretch to say we got all of the info on the amp since I have reason to believe much of the mods were not disclosed. I also have good reason to believe there were additional mods - especially a variac as per his quest to go for the early van halen variac 'ed sound as per the last article.

It is also hard to say what type of specific pre amp mods were done in addition to the extra preamp tube or two for obsolete ... but difficult to determine the exact way it was modded. And proof is in the fact that even Dino couldn't get the sound back after.

99% of us 'got' the info aside from the actual schematic .............

a variac isn't a 'mod' either its an external device (mr shitty electrician here)
Variac.jpg

http://mr5150.vhvault.com/evh-brown-sound.html

god knows why I am even replying to this ......

Tone_Freak said:
Its still called MODDING your amp to incorporate a variac into it. What is wrong with you?

whoops I forgot.....that must have been the very long and labourous 'mod' for obsolete where they just plugged it in......
gotta give bradshaw the big $$$ for that one

guess that makes a power conditioner or a load box a 'mod' as well then :roll:

Tone_Freak said:
DawnOfIniquity said:

You seem to have a hard time reading...I said "I think we got all the useful info we COULD POSSIBLY get." You are never going to get any more info unless the stolen amp turns up and gets taken apart by an amp tech. You might as well just stop now. Although it's kind of entertaining hearing you agonize over this variac that you think you can hear.

DawnOfIniquity said:
You seem to have a hard time reading...I said "I think we got all the useful info we COULD POSSIBLY get."

There is not enough useful info available on the amp. otherwise Dino would have been able to get another one done. But he wasn't so the point stands.

You are never going to get any more info unless the stolen amp turns up and gets taken apart by an amp tech. You might as well just stop now. Although it's kind of entertaining hearing you agonize over this variac that you think you can hear.

Might as well stop? Such a proper amp does not warrant stopping but continuing - because no other amp sounds like it - especially in the mids. Its just a basic common knowledge that the early Van Halen sound had the variac and thats the exact tone Dino was going after - so I not only verified it from him directly in the articles, but also can hear it because I have experience in real life with the effect it has on the waveform. It appears you do not yet you are behaving as if you know everything about this amp but this is one of the many areas about this amp you are light years off the mark on.

In addition, in Obsolete is pretty obvious its in there (unless you have no idea what the mod is supposed to do).

And btw my Kerry King JCM800 Amp sounds exactly like the obsolete distortion now because of yours truly. Now the mids are being worked on to match it as well. That part is alot harder to nail, but it's in good hands.

Tone_Freak said:
There is not enough useful info available on the amp. otherwise Dino would have been able to get another one done. But he wasn't so the point stands.

actually he did get others done, but he mentioned they didn't sound the same even thou the guy did the exact thing (2 pre amps, bass boost , noise gate)

And after it got stolen apon going back to the guy (Elan aka MetalHead aka Excalibur Amps) he found he was no longer there (that counted out bradshaw which he never mention once he went to anyway)

this was all verified a few pages back :roll:

and like DOI said...only way to get further info is if the original was found or one of the clones came back on ebay which I haven't seen one since the early 2000's

Tone_Freak said:
so I not only verified it from him directly in the articles, but also can hear it because I have experience in real life with the effect it has on the waveform. It appears you do not yet you are behaving as if you know everything about this amp but this is one of the many areas about this amp you are light years off the mark on.

In addition, in Obsolete is pretty obvious its in there (unless you have no idea what the mod is supposed to do).

you didn't verify anything, you twisted the words he said to suit your imagination
that seems a common thing in this thread

Tone_Freak said:

OK...as soon as you find some more of this "useful" info you think you are going to find, you just go ahead and let us know, alright? ;)

I did a comparison clip between the intro of "¡Resistancia!" which is off the digipack of Demanufacture

I'm using a 7 string schecter V with EMG 707TW's (707's but coil splitable ....part of the reason for obsoletes change in sound)

never been a huge fan of these pickups compared to the EMG-81 or even the 81-7

this is the cleanest guitar sample I can think of on that album cause there is no synths , bass or drums right at the start

here it is
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=SHYRLONW

dinos is first , patch is second

think it would sound closer with OP setup

animal said:
whoops I forgot.....that must have been the very long and labourous 'mod' for obsolete where they just plugged it in......
gotta give bradshaw the big $$$ for that one

I already spoke to Bradshaw. There was months and months of mods that has gone into that amp over the course of its history. Feel free to call their shop for independent corroboration.

guess that makes a power conditioner or a load box a 'mod' as well then :roll:

Not under mod categories, as these are not built to interact directly with the circuitry of the actual amp like the Variac does.

DawnOfIniquity said:
Yeah, I am beginning to realize this! I will be ignoring the troll from now on!

I will kindly ask you to not call me a troll as no thread hijacking has occurred here. I am remaining civilized about this.

I am sticking to within the confines of this thread - the amp used on the Demanufacture and Obsolete recordings - the same amp, under different values for each album - and the drastic differences in the waveforms produced by it. No other mods can produce those types of differences other than a variac, some parameters in the Axe come close, but not the main mod required.

In an article shared earlier it quotes Dino going for the early van-halen sound - which has been shown in animal's same link i shared which validates my hypothesis. People need to work together with an open mind if they wish to achieve a theoretical clone of this amp. I have shown an open mind to the other pre-amp mods shared in the articles, and i wish for people to have the same open mind to my new suggestion since no one has been able to clone the Obsolete sound through the Axe FX yet. This is the reason why - I can almost guarantee you this 100%.

All comments in here serve as constructive criticism, and I have good reason to believe that it has been corroborated as "likely" that the Dino amp on obsolete has been modded with a variac, once again, according to his own admission he was going for the early van halen sound - which animal once again linked us to in the same early Van halen variac info site I linked to long ago in other threads.

"Edward set the variac to approximately 90 volts, thereby reducing the amount of input voltage going to the amplifier".

http://mr5150.vhvault.com/evh-brown-sound.html

This lends weight to the hypothesis because look: http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/1536/p1010148i.jpg

The first page of the article in the third column Dino refers to that early Van Halen sound. And furthermore, when I lower the variac mod by a bit in Native Instruments Guitar Rig 3,4 in a similar way to the van halen lowering, I get a smoother more symmetrical distortion on the 800 sim as heard on the obsolete record.

Thanks.

Hi Dave2000,I really liked your Demanufacture tone.One of my favorite metal tones of all time..Do you think you could recreate it using the new 13 FW ? That would be Awesome !!!

Back
Top Bottom