FCB1010

Tor said:
Can the FCB1010 take external pedals (like the FS-5U) to control, say the tap tempo?
Nope. What you see is what you get unless you plan on hacking it up like I did which was a pretty big task. And I cheated and used the two controller inputs on the back of the Axe-FX for tap tempo and tuner.

IMG_2069.jpg

You can see in the picture where the cables for the extra switches go into my multi-pair cable.

jma said:
jma said:
While waiting for my FCB1010 (non-UnO) and Axe-Fx to arrive, I spent the entire week reading this thread, various PDFs, wiki and FAQ pages and so forth while taking extensive notes. I thought I had a fairly good handle on what I need to do but once I got the equipment and starting working with it I quickly realized I was in way over my head. After spending the last 3 hours in MIDI hell, I'm not even sure what I should be trying to fix first.

I guess my biggest problem at the moment is not being able to communicate between the PC MIDI editor (v2.99-2 by Ed Dixon) and the FCB. (I couldn't find an old Ripwerx version that works with non-UnO firmware.) In the MIDI Editor, I click on Receive SysEx then the progress bar appears, first trying to read the firmware version then the sysex info. The firmware field says "unknown version" and after trying to receive the sysex info an error box appears that says "Error - SysEx data NOT received from FCB1010 device". I tried to find a solution in the FCB manual but the way it's written it just adds to the confusion.

I'm going from the FCB to an Echo Gina3G audio interface - could this be causing the problem? I recall reading something about some MIDI interfaces garbling sysex data.

Update to my previous post: Axe-Edit will not communicate with Axe-Fx either, so at this point I'm going to assume the Gina3G is not a compatible MIDI interface.

I used a Layla 3G with no problem to program the FCB 1010 and it also works fine with the AXE-FX.

Read this on the wiki

Accessing the Banks via MIDI Bank Select Coarse (CC#0)
To access Bank A, send CC#0 with a value of 0.
To access Bank B, send CC#0 with a value of 1.
To access Bank C, send CC#0 with a value of 2 (or greater).

What happens now?
Note that the bank selection on the Axe-Fx (as with most devices) is semi-permanent. Any subsequent PC messages received will route to the selected bank.
By default, sending PC messages 0-127 to your Axe-Fx will select presets in the first bank: Bank A.
After selecting Bank B, all subsequent PC messages will select presets in Axe-Fx Bank B.
Likewise for Bank C.

Getting back to normal
You must send CC#0 with a value of 0 if you want to reset things back to normal.
Switching the Axe-Fx off and back on will also reset the Axe-Fx to selecting only Bank A presets via PC messages

so if I wanted to access patch 174 on bank 1 it would be in ripwerx PRG CHG 46 (174 - 128) CC#1 ?
and say patch 12 on bank 2 it would be PRG 12 CC#0

is this accurate? or it does not work this way? I know about the PRG CHG part but how do I enter the CC# changes? there are three tabs

Untitled-1-1.jpg

CC#2 will put me in bank C, so basically any PRG number I put in there will be bank C. You have to put CC#'s in all of your presets once you start changing banks or else it will stay in the last bank selected.

I just learned from another thread how to do this correctly though because the original way you had to press any buttons with bank changes twice because it would send the CC# AFTER the PGM change.

Use PGM CHG 5 for all of your patch selections. It is sent AFTER the CC#. Works brilliantly.

And yes, your math is correct, it would patch number minus 127 (or in my case 128 since I use the offset for everything).

shasha said:
Untitled-1-1.jpg

CC#2 will put me in bank C, so basically any PRG number I put in there will be bank C. You have to put CC#'s in all of your presets once you start changing banks or else it will stay in the last bank selected.

I just learned from another thread how to do this correctly though because the original way you had to press any buttons with bank changes twice because it would send the CC# AFTER the PGM change.

Use PGM CHG 5 for all of your patch selections. It is sent AFTER the CC#. Works brilliantly.

And yes, your math is correct, it would patch number minus 127 (or in my case 128 since I use the offset for everything).

I'm the same guy! I just did that other post because this thread was to damned slow :D

I think the bug here is my newbie butt messing with things I dont fully understand yet LOL!

But here is my problem.

I recently programmed the fcb1010 and got my presets adjusted and controlled the way I like them. I unplugged everything to move my gear around over the holidays and decided to hook up the ultra to do some demoing. When I plugged in and accessed my favorites without the FCB1010 connected I noticed that 2 of them had no sound at all. If I hit bypass I get my clean guitar but nothing of the old presets. What the heck did I mess up to cause this? I have used my ultra about a total of 10 times and I have just begun the manual to learn it.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Stoneyman said:
I think the bug here is my newbie butt messing with things I dont fully understand yet LOL!

But here is my problem.

I recently programmed the fcb1010 and got my presets adjusted and controlled the way I like them. I unplugged everything to move my gear around over the holidays and decided to hook up the ultra to do some demoing. When I plugged in and accessed my favorites without the FCB1010 connected I noticed that 2 of them had no sound at all. If I hit bypass I get my clean guitar but nothing of the old presets. What the heck did I mess up to cause this? I have used my ultra about a total of 10 times and I have just begun the manual to learn it.

probably VOL, MIXER or LOOP block. if you have any of them in those patches, try bypassing that block an see what happens.

voes said:
Stoneyman said:

But here is my problem.

probably VOL, MIXER or LOOP block. if you have any of them in those patches, try bypassing that block an see what happens.

Yep! I added a volume block to use the volume pedal function.

voes, thank you for the Axe-Fx sysex for the FCB1010. I would've been stumped for a day or two without it. The folks at Behringer must be some sort of madmen to actually concieve such a full featured yet user unfriendly device.

voes, thank you for the Axe-Fx sysex for the FCB1010. I would've been stumped for a day or two without it. The folks at Behringer must be some sort of madmen to actually concieve such a full featured yet user unfriendly device.

Thank you :)

Voes,

Thinking about getting an Axe-fx and wondering if the power mod on your web site works with the Axe-fx? I saw a post that implied that you can't use the Axe-fx's phantom power to drive an FCB, wondering if that is true.

I've made the mod and it works great, just wondering how to manage the 7-pin Axe-fx MIDI (at least from what I'm reading it is a 7-pin) and the 5-pin FCB?!? Can I just make up a 7-> 5 MIDI cable and move the Axe's 6&7 pins to 4&5 on the FCB side?

Thanks in advance.

Voes,

Thinking about getting an Axe-fx and wondering if the power mod on your web site works with the Axe-fx? I saw a post that implied that you can't use the Axe-fx's phantom power to drive an FCB, wondering if that is true.

I've made the mod and it works great, just wondering how to manage the 7-pin Axe-fx MIDI (at least from what I'm reading it is a 7-pin) and the 5-pin FCB?!? Can I just make up a 7-> 5 MIDI cable and move the Axe's 6&7 pins to 4&5 on the FCB side?

Thanks in advance.
I hope that it works because that's how I've been using mine since I got my Ultra. :razz

Just make sure that the polarity is right on the pins and you'll be fine if you got this far already.

just wondering how to manage the 7-pin Axe-fx MIDI (at least from what I'm reading it is a 7-pin) and the 5-pin FCB?!? Can I just make up a 7-> 5 MIDI cable and move the Axe's 6&7 pins to 4&5 on the FCB side?

Thanks in advance.

That's what I did, except that I mounted the power supply from the FCB inside the AxeFX and wired the leads internally to the power jack. I ordered a 5 pin MIDI cable and wired a 7 pin plug to one end. It was a little difficult finding the proper pinouts.

Hi, new Axe-FX owner here. Well, soon to be as my used Axe Standard is being shipped tonight so I'll see it late this week. I plan to gig with it and am looking at this FCB1010 controller.

This is how I'd like to set things up to work on every patch bank:

on the FCB:
switches 6,7,8,9 - Individual Preset Changes
switches 1,2,3,4 - Individual Stomp Block Effect on/off
switch 5 - Tap Tempo
switch 10 - Tuner on/off
switches up, down - Preset bank up/down
Expression Pedal 1 - Wah
Expression Pedal 2 - ? (prob not used)

With the Unochip, is this setup possible with the FCB1010?

Thanks

PS - I don't suppose there is a latching system on the Expression pedals. If not, does it mean I have to dedicate one of my stomp switches to turn on/off the wah?

Last edited:
Hi, new Axe-FX owner here. Well, soon to be as my used Axe Standard is being shipped tonight so I'll see it late this week. I plan to gig with it and am looking at this FCB1010 controller.

on the FCB:
switch 5 - Tap Tempo
switch 10 - Tuner on/off
Expression Pedal 1 - Wah

Thanks

PS - I don't suppose there is a latching system on the Expression pedals. If not, does it mean I have to dedicate one of my stomp switches to turn on/off the wah?

AFAIK everything you want is possible except switch 10. that would be a Preset Change switch like 6-9

on the FCB:
switch 5 - Tap Tempo
switch 10 - Tuner on/off
Expression Pedal 1 - Wah

Thanks

You may be able to program switch 10 to work how you want, the only caveat is that you'd have to program it for every bank on the FCB1010 as a CC# for whatever the tuner is programmed for. The other BIG issue is that you will no longer be on the same patch meaning that the footcontroller will think that you are on that preset and while it won't change the AxeFX's patch you will have make absolutely certain that you have N/C selected for the IA switches on everyone of those #10 patches or it's going to change your stompbox settings.

I could be mistaken, but looking at Ripwerx it looks like it's possible. Just make sure that you don't have any PC changes assigned to it. And the light isn't going to reflect the correct status for anything meaning that if it's on or off means nothing.

As for the wah pedal that's an easy solution.

Go to the AxeFX, hit the control button. Page over to the CTRL tab. Scroll down to External 1 (it can be anyone of the external controllers, I just prefer 1 for this). Assign it the same CC# that the wah pedal is programmed for on the FCB1010.

Now go into the wah block on the AxeFX in edit mode (you have to be in a preset that has a wah block and you have to do this for each patch). Scroll over to the frequency knob, hit enter, scroll down to AUTOENG, select something other than OFF (I prefer fast), go to OFF VAL and select either 5% or 95% (this determines whether toe up or toe down is the off position). And of course make sure that the SOURCE is assigned to the EXTRN 1 (or whatever you assigned the wah pedal to in the CTRL dialog). Hit the Store and then Enter buttons and you have a wah pedal that turns on and off anytime it's not all the way down (5%) or all the way up (95%).

Just make sure that you calibrate your expression pedals if it's not working right.

Last edited:
Cool. thanks for the info. Would it make sense to make a different switch, other than #10 on the FCB as the tuner/mute switch? Is there an easier way to make the same switch be a dedicated switch for the tuner?

Also, I've heard that the patch switch can also be used as a tap tempo. So, if I click on switch #7 on the FCB and it brings up a clean blackface patch, i can press switch #7 again and create my tap tempo. And if I switch to #8 and it is my plexi patch, I can program #8, if it is already pressed/chosen as my patch, to be pressed again and used for tap tempo in that patch.

Is this possible?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom