FCB1010

I am having a bit of an issue with an FCB1010 (not chipped). ....I've posted this elsewhere but need a decent answer to this as I have a festival to play soon!

I have used these controllers for a very long time with other processors, so decided to get a new one to go with my Axe II XL.

Anyway, the problem is that the expression pedals only kick in after I've moved them to almost half way. I have calibrated them and during the calibration process they seem to be sensitive almost right away - as soon as I move them the values begin to move on the FCB itself. The Axe isn't responding until I get half way (including the MIDI IN LED and modifier editing screen ). I'll check it with another MIDI lead when I can get one but I just wondered if this is a common issue, or whether I need to do something else to the Axe for this to work properly.

Have an FCB w/ UNO, use Ripwerkx. Two quesions:

1) I have a Patch, 9-6 (bank 9, patch 6) that I was to merge with patches in another file. Other than manually entering the patch data into Ripwerkx again, is there a quick way to merge this patch with patches from teh other file?

2) Anyone have a good method of illuminating the pedal labels? I was thinking it would be cool if the light from the LED coupld be diffused to make the whole pedal area glow.

I just programmed my stock FBC1010 for the XL so that the top row 6-10 are presets and the lower row are scenes 1-5. No fancy software or bull dust. Simple push button FBC programming. The bank up and down and expression still work as normal. So I can just store any amount of presets in the banks. Dead easy using a guide I found here.

I'm over the moon. The scenes have opened up a massive world in each preset. So my main preset now has 5 scenes in it. Amazing. Great affordable controller that costs sweet bugger all and does everything I need including 2 expression pedals built in. This is pure value.

I've also carried out the phantom power mod through the midi cable so I only have a single midi cable to the unit. Brilliant.

I am having a bit of an issue with an FCB1010 (not chipped). ....I've posted this elsewhere but need a decent answer to this as I have a festival to play soon!

I have used these controllers for a very long time with other processors, so decided to get a new one to go with my Axe II XL.

Anyway, the problem is that the expression pedals only kick in after I've moved them to almost half way. I have calibrated them and during the calibration process they seem to be sensitive almost right away - as soon as I move them the values begin to move on the FCB itself. The Axe isn't responding until I get half way (including the MIDI IN LED and modifier editing screen ). I'll check it with another MIDI lead when I can get one but I just wondered if this is a common issue, or whether I need to do something else to the Axe for this to work properly.
Hi Ly, Yes this is common. If you check the midi value of the FCB (not in the AX FX). It should be 1-127. It usually is not. Mine was 7- 126
The fcb is a great alternative to the MFC BUT...the expression pedals can change over time or from being dropped or slammed.
For minor adjustments to the expression pedals (short term). Change the pedal configuration in axe edit. Go to the pedal(say a wa-wa). With pedal in off position, click on the edit modifier control logo in the center of the control knob on the wa -wa page . GO TO THE OFF VALUE. Raise it from 0% thu 10 % . Move the pedal to the toe position. Notice when the Wa engages. Usually between 5-10% Set all modifier in the axe fx for the same value for pedal 1...Repeat for pedal 2.
Long term , the values change, as I said before because the LEDs can MOVE and have to be readjusted MANUALLY. Open the back of the unit.
TAKE NOTE......... 6 of the screws are a milometer longer than the rest(center of the unit I believe). IF YOU PUT the shorter screws in the long holes, THE SHORT ONES WILL FALL OUT. Making the unit hum or buzz.
Next, find the LED's that control the taper of the pedals.
Carefully bend them back in place(usually vertical), so full light goes through the graduated film strip.. Reassemble.
I keep THE OFF VALUE around 10% on both pedals (toe off OR heel off, same procedure). because of this.:encouragement:

Last edited:
I'm turning slightly blue here :blue:

I just got my uno chip and a new 1010, hoping it would be an easy task, but so far I've spent all day googling how to do this, instead of playing my axe-fx :-(

First i found out that the midi in/out on the fractal doesn't cut it, cause it sends too much sysex info to the 1010. I've gotten rid of all my midi gear a while back, so I had to go out a find a new midi interface. Doing so, I downloaded ripwerx, but I only got "receiver time-out" messages. Then I read it doesn't work properly on a mac.

So my question is;
- is there a mac-compatible program out there?

- I was also surprised to see that the 1010 didn't have a on/off switch on the expression pedal. Do I have to use 1-10 for turning it on/off? :-/

- I want scenes 1-5, then various stomp boxes on 6-10. But I guess I also need to use a pedal for tuner, so that leaves me....8? 1-5 scenes, 6-8 stomp, 9 tunes, 10 wah? Did I get that right?

Ohh....I wish fractal could release a board version of the axe-fx :)

Appreciate all help I can get here. I've been googling forever today. I'm sure this question has been asked and answered many times, but I can't find it :-/
I could of course read all 25 pages in this thread, and pick up some info, but the original post is prom 2008...so I'm guessing it's different now.

Best,
Ken

Last edited:
Reactions: trb
I use the FCB1010 stock, and I use separate banks for different functions. I've got banks 00 to 07 setup with 1 - 5 program changes, 6 - 9 for scenes 1-4, and 10 is for tap tempo. I have bank 08 setup for looper controls and bank 09 is all stompbox on/off switching. The FCB1010 doesn't handle incoming messages from the Axe very well, so I only use the MIDI out port and one cable going to the Axe. There's no tuner display with the FCB, so I just use the front panel button to turn the tuner on since I have to walk over there to see the screen anyway. As for the expression pedals, you can use the Auto Engage feature of the Axe to turn on your wah automatically whenever you move the expression pedal. It's not perfect, but it works quite well with a bit of practice. I usually have one expression pedal setup for volume full time and the other is either wah or parameter control (speed, mix, etc.) depending on the preset.

>> - is there a mac-compatible program out there?
LG-FCB by far the best mac editor out there and by the creator of the UnO chip firmware.

- I was also surprised to see that the 1010 didn't have a on/off switch on the expression pedal. Do I have to use 1-10 for turning it on/off? :-/
no, as mr_fender mentioned just use the auto-engage feature of the wa block.

- I want scenes 1-5, then various stomp boxes on 6-10. But I guess I also need to use a pedal for tuner, so that leaves me....8? 1-5 scenes, 6-8 stomp, 9 tunes, 10 wah? Did I get that right?
buy a rack mounted tuner that will actually be visible from where your FCB is located and you have your 5+5 setup. The FCB isn't perfect but it is a lot less $$$ than an MFC-101 and does work well.

- is there a mac-compatible program out there?
LG-FCB by far the best mac editor out there and by the creator of the UnO chip firmware.

Okay. Tnx. I saw that one, just hoping for a free one.

no, as mr_fender mentioned just use the auto-engage feature of the wa block.

Ah, I see. Cool, will try it when I get the board up and running :)

buy a rack mounted tuner that will actually be visible from where your FCB is located and you have your 5+5 setup. The FCB isn't perfect but it is a lot less $$$ than an MFC-101 and does work well.

Got you. Tnx. I guess I'll do as mr. fender then....walk over to the rack.

Ken

Back
Top Bottom