FCB1010

Hey guys, recently upgraded my FCB with an uno chip and I've been having some issues. First of all: I went through all of the steps in voes' guide to extend the memory and put it in stompbox mode. I then dumped the sample axe fx sysex file. I then went through the axe's I/O>CTRL menu and changed all the values.

My problem is this: although the top row of pedals now behave like stompboxes, they are not actually turning any effects on or off...I'm wondering what I may have missed here.

The second problem: after upgrading, it doesn't seem as though I'm able to connect to axe-edit anymore. I keep getting "hardware busy" even though I'm using the same connection as before.

My setup is:
Behringer out > Axe fx in
Axe fx out > Midisport 2x2 in
Midisport 2x2 out > Behringer in

Any help or feedback you can give would be much appreciated.

Hey guys, recently upgraded my FCB with an uno chip and I've been having some issues. First of all: I went through all of the steps in voes' guide to extend the memory and put it in stompbox mode. I then dumped the sample axe fx sysex file. I then went through the axe's I/O>CTRL menu and changed all the values.

My problem is this: although the top row of pedals now behave like stompboxes, they are not actually turning any effects on or off...I'm wondering what I may have missed here.

The second problem: after upgrading, it doesn't seem as though I'm able to connect to axe-edit anymore. I keep getting "hardware busy" even though I'm using the same connection as before.

My setup is:
Midisport 2x2 out > Behringer in

Any help or feedback you can give would be much appreciated.

Forget about that publicly available .syx file for the FCB/UnO and the Axe.
Who knows what's really in there?
Get the Ripwerx software and program the FCB/UnO yourself.
Then you'll know.

Note: If you're on a Mac, the Ripwerx software runs very very slowly.
The only workaround is to reduce the number of screen elements that you work with at any given time.
Use the absolute minimum and you should be fine.
Tools: Preset View Options.

Alright, well I solved my first problem. I'm still unable to connect to Axe Edit though. I'm really stumped as to what could be causing this. My signal chain is the exact same as it was before, and I had no problems then...

I believe that you can't use Axe-Edit and the FCB at the same time unless you get a MIDI Merge box.

From FCB 1010 manual: Midi Merge allows for Soft Thru and merging of controller and input data.

From Uno manual: 4. MIDI MERGE
[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]When MIDI MERGE is enabled, all MIDI messages, coming in through the MIDI IN port of the FCB are merged with the MIDI messages generated by the FCB itself. The combined MIDI stream is sent to the MIDI OUT port of the board. [/FONT]
[/FONT]

Last edited:
So how would you hook up the 3 devices: FBC - Axe - MIDI Interface?

Remember, the Axe doesn't have MIDI Merge capability, but it does have a MIDI Thru port.

Forgive me - I misread your reply. From shasha on another thread:

I'm using the same stuff, (2x2 and FCB1010) and have control/editing of everything at the same time with no latency issues or cable swapping. But it does require 3 MIDI cables to work correctly.

I don't have my gear in front of me, but I made a post a while back going over the settings.

My apologies, Shep

"Behringer out > Axe fx in
Midisport 2x2 out > Behringer in"

In this hookup the MIDI data that the Behringer is transmitting will be terminated at the Axe-FX and will not make it into the MIDISport's MIDI In.
This *will* allow him to use the FCB to trigger the Axe while using Axe-Edit to edit the Axe, but he *won't* be able to use any FCB editing software at the same time.

That MIDI Patchbay for Mac looks interesting.
I'll check that out.
It may solve the problem.
Thanks.

Well yeah, it was working prior to the upgrade. Which is why I'm so stumped that I'm getting "Hardware Busy (?)" messages now.

Looking at the Midisport 2x2, it looks as though there is a problem with the output signal. The "in" light is flashing, but nothing on the "out" light.

"Behringer out > Axe fx in
Midisport 2x2 out > Behringer in"

In this hookup the MIDI data that the Behringer is transmitting will be terminated at the Axe-FX and will not make it into the MIDISport's MIDI In.
This *will* allow him to use the FCB to trigger the Axe while using Axe-Edit to edit the Axe, but he *won't* be able to use any FCB editing software at the same time.
Yes he will.
I do.
Maybe this is a clearer representation of the same chain:
"Midisport 2x2 out > Behringer in
Axe fx out > Midisport 2x2 in"

Since the PC Midi out is connected to the FCB in it receives commands from both Axe-Edit and Ripwerx. The FCB will then use the Ripwerx sysex commands for itself and merge what it receives with whatever it generates itself and send that to the Axe-Fx. The Axe-FX then takes what it needs, ignoring the Ripwerx sysex sent by the PC and dumping everything else into oblivion. So the stream stops there with the Axe-FX only transmitting what it generates itself to answer questions posed by Axe-Edit software. So changes you make with the FCB do not get put through into the Axe-Edit causing them to be out of sync, just like they would be if you would edit using the front panel while using Axe-Edit at the same time.
Data from the FCB does not make it back to the PC either. So if you have Ripwerx ask the FCB to send a system dump back to the PC it will not receive it. Unless maybe you would connect the Axe-FX midi-through to the second input on the midisport.

For more hardcore stuff like sending whole banks or firmware into the Axe you should always connect directly. The FCB merger can't handle stuff that big.

Last edited:
Well yeah, it was working prior to the upgrade. Which is why I'm so stumped that I'm getting "Hardware Busy (?)" messages now.

Looking at the Midisport 2x2, it looks as though there is a problem with the output signal. The "in" light is flashing, but nothing on the "out" light.
That would explain stuff. Is the midi led on the Axe-FX showing when you edit with Axe-EDit? I'm surprised you are getting leds on the in, though. Anyway, are you sure all the ports are connected correctly in the prgrams? Also Midi-cables have been known to fail unexpectedly. Sometimes more than one at the same time... Hardware busy just means it doesn't receive the answer to the question it asks. "knock knock?" "..."

Also check if the Merger on the FCB is on. You can set it in the Ripwerx program second page.

So if you have Ripwerx ask the FCB to send a system dump back to the PC it will not receive it.

That's the drawback that I meant to describe.
I.e. With this hookup there is no way for the FCB to send data to the PC, but the PC can send data to the FCB.
Sorry I wasn't clear enough.
Thanks for clearing it up.

I also have to say that from my experiences trying to work this way at one time, I found that it wasn't worth it because too many unexpected things tended to happen.
Of course that was with earlier versions of Axe-Edit.
It might be better to work this nowadays.

Yes! So as it turns out MIDI merge had somehow been turned off...I really have no idea how. Turning it back on seems to have fixed the problem. Thanks a lot for the help guys!

Regarding the lately edited sysex table of the AXE FX ULTRA on Axe-FX SysEx Messages,
Is there anyway to adress directly effectblocks & data by sending SYSEX messages from the FCB ?
It seems to me that sending SYSEX controls of effectblocks is not possible with a FCB1010 as the design only permits sending PC & CC values Sysex messages. At least as far as I can see from the Unov1.02 documentation. Also I guess all this is close to the "nirvana" area and that one can easily fuck up his unit by sending erroneous messages. Maybe VOES could enlighten me a bit or confirm what is possible with the FCB ?

Newbie really new

Hi guys literally just got fcb, havent hooked anything up, windows vista 64bit, does the fcb1010 pc editor NOT work with this setup? i installed, click on the icon, installed update but just get mcv60dll missing file, please install again blahblah?

Hi guys literally just got fcb, havent hooked anything up, windows vista 64bit, does the fcb1010 pc editor NOT work with this setup? i installed, click on the icon, installed update but just get mcv60dll missing file, please install again blahblah?

Is the latest JAVA version correctly installed ?

That's the drawback that I meant to describe.
I.e. With this hookup there is no way for the FCB to send data to the PC, but the PC can send data to the FCB.
Sorry I wasn't clear enough.
Thanks for clearing it up.

I also have to say that from my experiences trying to work this way at one time, I found that it wasn't worth it because too many unexpected things tended to happen.
Of course that was with earlier versions of Axe-Edit.
It might be better to work this nowadays.
I can do patch dumps from the FCB to Ripwerx with AxeEdit running while controlling the AxeFX via editor and foot controller and whatever else you can want to do with these things.

The only thing that I cannot (or wouldn't try) is to update firmware through the FCB to the AxeFX because it's just too important and a TON of data that could be corrupted somehow.

Heck I've even set up MIDI-OX to receive from my BCF2000 via USB, send to the same MIDI port that is feeding the FCB, MIDI merged to the AxeFX and I can adjust my amp parameters like drive, MV, TMB, etc. I just haven't finished programming it to do more than the amp models because I'm kind of lazy.

No cable swapping involved with this setup.

Last edited:
Is the latest JAVA version correctly installed ?

i did dl the latest java yes, not sure if I have to re boot computer. this may sound silly but does the fcb need to be hooked up to actually see the editor or not get an error message when starting the editor? I know the axe editor will start on own.

Back
Top Bottom