Electro-Voice PXM-12MP report

Yup. And at most volumes, it was either too little or too much.
Mostly. I had a pretty high end amplifier in the 70's that had a good implementation of this, but it really only worked at "soft background" music level. But it did its job. The thing was, I never read the instructions at the time and my ear was not trained enough to know what it was doing.
I only learned about FM curves much later in life and had the "aha" moment realizing what this control was after all!

Mostly. I had a pretty high end amplifier in the 70's that had a good implementation of this, but it really only worked at "soft background" music level. But it did its job. The thing was, I never read the instructions at the time and my ear was not trained enough to know what it was doing.
I only learned about FM curves much later in life and had the "aha" moment realizing what this control was after all!
In the '70s, most people used it as an always-on boost. "Wow, man, listen to all that bass!" It made the radio announcer's voice sound like a cartoon when the stereo was cranked, but no one seemed to realize it.

For anyone looking at the current time, I just ordered one EV Electro-Voice PXM-12MP from Musician's Friend for $806 plus tax, free shipping.
I didn't have any hassle getting that price; I just asked and mentioned that I was seeing recent sales prices from $800 to $819 on this forum.
BTW, thank you to all who shared their experiences with various products here; it helped a great deal as I made this decision.

Well the EV arrived today (box was crushed on one side, but no damage - UPS left it on my porch without anyone signing for it).
My initial impressions are very positive. Easy to use. Sounds really good. I prefer the Monitor 2 setting over the Guitar Cabinet setting. The latter is not bad, but sounds rather muffled in comparison. The frequency response seems much broader, especially in the low end, on Monitor 2. I really like the dispersion.
I only got one for now to see how I like it, but I will likely eventually move to two (although I really don't use that many stereo effects) for live usage.

I prefer the Monitor 2 setting over the Guitar Cabinet setting. The latter is not bad, but sounds rather muffled in comparison.
Because the tweeter is turned off. At that point the highs are basically what you'd get with a 12" guitar speaker.
The frequency response seems much broader, especially in the low end, on Monitor 2. I really like the dispersion.
That's with the tweeter on, so the response stays pretty flat to 10K, varying by about ±3 dB…

Screenshot 2023-05-31 at 1.58.05 PM.png

Yeah the shipping leaves much to be desired. The box mine arrived in was almost non existent. Yet my unit shows no damage or signs of wear. I have to imagine EV ships them like this because they were already built to handle the stress of being on the road, so they must feel confident in their durability.

I think the guitar cabinet mode, you'd almost want to run into it with just the amp sim, no cab sim. Haven't tried this yet, but functionally this should work.

Question: where are people running their mid boost at? I think mine is set to somewhere around 2.6k, boost maxed. I found it really helps the monitor not sound so thin and hifi.

I've been extremely pleased running it this way, sounds awesome with guitar, as a TV speaker, and also with my synths.

I think the guitar cabinet mode, you'd almost want to run into it with just the amp sim, no cab sim. Haven't tried this yet, but functionally this should work.
Power-amp modeling on, cab modeling off. That mode will not be an FRFR setting.

Question: where are people running their mid boost at? I think mine is set to somewhere around 2.6k, boost maxed. I found it really helps the monitor not sound so thin and hifi.
I run using Monitor 2, with no other changes. It's extremely full sounding.

If you're having to boost mids then something else is wrong. I'd recommend confirming that no global EQ is enabled, then switch to the factory presets, and turn up the volume to around 90-95 dB and play through it. It should be loud, but not painfully so, and you should have plenty of lows and mids with some high end for clarity.

If you're having to boost mids then something else is wrong. I'd recommend confirming that no global EQ is enabled, then switch to the factory presets, and turn up the volume to around 90-95 dB and play through it. It should be loud, but not painfully so, and you should have plenty of lows and mids with some high end for clarity.
Agreed all around.

Just checked, I'm boosting 2.5k by 3dB. I think its fine. You have to remember, frequency response charts show the response of the speaker in a perfect room. Whatever room the speaker is in will affect the response. Perhaps something about my room necessitates a boost in mids around that frequency, or perhaps the Tonex models I am using are just voiced different than my usual preference and I am compensating.

Also, like you said, I don't play through it mega loud, probably around 80dB. So I might be creating my own Fletcher Munson compensation curve given my play volume. That or its just a subjective preference of mine.

Either way, mine sounds noticeably fuller and more natural with the boost. Glad that EV give you the ability to do that sort of stuff, the MF10 is great but there are no onboard EQ adjustments available. Would have liked to see even basic low/high shelf or something at that price, but I digress.

Last edited:
For me, it totally depends on the room it's in, and where the EV is located in that room. IME there is no silver bullet that's going to work in all cases. It's one of the things I like about this speaker, since I can save a preset for my most commonly-used gig locations to use as a starting point.

For me, it totally depends on the room it's in, and where the EV is located in that room. IME there is no silver bullet that's going to work in all cases. It's one of the things I like about this speaker, since I can save a preset for my most commonly-used gig locations to use as a starting point.
Man I looked a t the 1st, 10th and last page of this thread to see the progression over what is like 2 (almost 3 years) of you using the EV's and the fact you're still using it makes me feel confident in these. I have been throwing the idea around between the Friendman ASC10 and Red Sound MF10 because I like the idea of something looking more like a cab but then the I get what feels like a moment of clarity and think that I should be trying to get a monitor that will be more in line with FOH so I don't have a drastic difference on stage vs FOH.

Seems like you're still totally happy with the EV's am I correct? the weight seems good too.

Man I looked a t the 1st, 10th and last page of this thread to see the progression over what is like 2 (almost 3 years) of you using the EV's and the fact you're still using it makes me feel confident in these. I have been throwing the idea around between the Friendman ASC10 and Red Sound MF10 because I like the idea of something looking more like a cab but then the I get what feels like a moment of clarity and think that I should be trying to get a monitor that will be more in line with FOH so I don't have a drastic difference on stage vs FOH.

Seems like you're still totally happy with the EV's am I correct? the weight seems good too.
I have a pair of them, and though I wonder about other offerings, I still love the form-factor, weight, and sound.

One of the things I really like is how flexible their angles are. Flat on their back they’ll shoot up at your face when at your feet. There’s another angle where they’ll be hitting your ears from about five feet behind you. And on their sides they fire at 90° forward, and you can stack them, which most people would think they’re regular guitar cabs.

I have a pair of them, and though I wonder about other offerings, I still love the form-factor, weight, and sound.

One of the things I really like is how flexible their angles are. Flat on their back they’ll shoot up at your face when at your feet. There’s another angle where they’ll be hitting your ears from about five feet behind you. And on their sides they fire at 90° forward, and you can stack them, which most people would think they’re regular guitar cabs.
Thanks for your input man I think I’ll just pick these up and end my obsessive researching… the Friedmans asc10’s and red sound mf10s almost had me but man the resale value is bad and they’re very niche. The EV’s se at least more universal and I like the price better too. Not mention availability and the customer service of EV. I do wish they had 10’ option but they don’t look to big as is and under 30lbs I th in no that’s great for a powered 12’ wooden cab.

I’ve also got hip to the output 2 global parametric eq trick so I’m not really worried about to much lows or highs because I can seeep that stuff out and do the whole resonant frequency boost and cut trick to really correct anything I find harsh.

Thanks for your input man I think I’ll just pick these up and end my obsessive researching… the Friedmans asc10’s and red sound mf10s almost had me but man the resale value is bad and they’re very niche. The EV’s se at least more universal and I like the price better too. Not mention availability and the customer service of EV. I do wish they had 10’ option but they don’t look to big as is and under 30lbs I th in no that’s great for a powered 12’ wooden cab.

I’ve also got hip to the output 2 global parametric eq trick so I’m not really worried about to much lows or highs because I can seeep that stuff out and do the whole resonant frequency boost and cut trick to really correct anything I find harsh.
I own both the MF10 and the EV. The EV is the better product IMO. The MF10 sounds very smooth, and the bass response is better tuned for guitars, but the EV is louder, has a much more accurate production of higher frequencies, has a way better dispersion pattern, has onboard DSP, multiple inputs and individual gain levels for each, costs less, and can be set up in so many unique and useful ways (see Greg's post).

There might be better out there, but i doubt you will find it at the price the EVs are going for. It sure checks all of my boxes. I plan to pick up a second one eventually.

I just had a chance to play through these last night at a gig. The club had 4 of them on stage as monitors. I was pretty pumped to finally get a chance to hear them, so in addition to my usual "backline" speaker, I had him run my guitar in the PXMs in front of me.
Well unfortunately as I soon found out, he had some EQ'ing on the monitor bus to boost vocals (as they so often do) so I wasn't a huge fan of how the guitar sounded. He also said the other guy that does sound there was monkeying around with the EQ settings on the PXMs so who knows how they were set.

I will say they were smaller than I pictured, so really a pretty compact footprint.

Unfortunately most sound guys' approach to monitors is all about "can you hear it" and not "does it sound good?"

I love the EV too - but, got the notice from atomic for the CLR Neo ($200 off) had to place the order - Should get it soon and cant wait to compare to the EV.

Well unfortunately as I soon found out, he had some EQ'ing on the monitor bus to boost vocals (as they so often do) so I wasn't a huge fan of how the guitar sounded. He also said the other guy that does sound there was monkeying around with the EQ settings on the PXMs so who knows how they were set.
There’s definitely a difference in the sound when EQ’d for vocals.

A couple weeks ago mine suddenly started sounding really shrill on stage, though it sounded great during setup, and nothing I could do would get it back to its full range, normal, sound. I was going crazy but survived the night, and during tear down the FOH guy came up and asked how I liked having my signal through the side fill monitors. WHAT TF!?!

That explained everything. He had my FOH feed heavily chopped up with a vocal EQ and was sending it back LOUDER than my monitor’s volume, through some old Cerwin-Vega horn-equipped hanging monitors that were piercing. I thanked him for trying to be helpful and asked him to never do that again because I can hear quite well through my own monitor(s). I’ll work with him on how modelers need to be EQd too.

I went into the garage the following day with my FM3 and set up the speaker, turned it up, and up, and it sounded glorious. I was so relieved. I tore the rig down, walked back in the house and my girlfriend told me that it sounded great in the house. Heh, everyone on the street could probably hear me. :)

1686405309863.jpeg

There’s definitely a difference in the sound when EQ’d for vocals.

A couple weeks ago mine suddenly started sounding really shrill on stage, though it sounded great during setup, and nothing I could do would get it back to its full range, normal, sound. I was going crazy but survived the night, and during tear down the FOH guy came up and asked how I liked having my signal through the side fill monitors. WHAT TF!?!

That explained everything. He had my FOH feed heavily chopped up with a vocal EQ and was sending it back LOUDER than my monitor’s volume, through some old Cerwin-Vega horn-equipped hanging monitors that were piercing. I thanked him for trying to be helpful and asked him to never do that again because I can hear quite well through my own monitor(s). I’ll work with him on how modelers need to be EQd too.

I went into the garage the following day with my FM3 and set up the speaker, turned it up, and up, and it sounded glorious. I was so relieved. I tore the rig down, walked back in the house and my girlfriend told me that it sounded great in the house. Heh, everyone on the street could probably hear me. :)

View attachment 121915
yeah it's weird that some sound guys just don't seem to get that unless you're correcting for a room issue, leave the damn thing flat! lol It seems like it should make thei life super easy - no mic'ing an amp etc., but for some reason there's still a disconnect with a lot of them. The number of times an FOH guy has assured me he's not EQ'ing my tone, only to find out that the channel itself is flat, but the monitor bus is Eq'ed for more top end!
Unfortunately I wasn't able to get a sense of the speaker from using them last night because of the EQ.

yeah it's weird that some sound guys just don't seem to get that unless you're correcting for a room issue, leave the damn thing flat! lol It seems like it should make thei life super easy - no mic'ing an amp etc., but for some reason there's still a disconnect with a lot of them. The number of times an FOH guy has assured me he's not EQ'ing my tone, only to find out that the channel itself is flat, but the monitor bus is Eq'ed for more top end!
Unfortunately I wasn't able to get a sense of the speaker from using them last night because of the EQ.
This is why you bring your own cab(s).
It's not to be louder, it's to have some control and predictability.

Back
Top Bottom