Electro-Voice PXM-12MP report

Man I looked a t the 1st, 10th and last page of this thread to see the progression over what is like 2 (almost 3 years) of you using the EV's and the fact you're still using it makes me feel confident in these. I have been throwing the idea around between the Friendman ASC10 and Red Sound MF10 because I like the idea of something looking more like a cab but then the I get what feels like a moment of clarity and think that I should be trying to get a monitor that will be more in line with FOH so I don't have a drastic difference on stage vs FOH.

Seems like you're still totally happy with the EV's am I correct? the weight seems good too.
I’m quite content. And I’m a picky SOB, so that’s saying something. 😉

I ordered one from Sweetwater the night before last. It was supposed to be here Monday. Imagine my (and my wife's) surprise when it showed up today.

Up until now I'd been running a Powercab 112+ which has sounded pretty good at gigs. I was looking for something smaller and lighter because I'm old. I just spent an hour basking in various Austin Buddy Live Gold presets on my FM9, which sound amazing through this thing. The Powercab sounds alright, but this thing is just fantastic. Much more detail and punch.

I received my EV a few days ago and finally set it up last night. My first thought was, meh. After a quick scan of the user manual, I read that EV suggests placing it at least two feet from a wall. Since mine is inches from the wall I tried setting the bass at -2 db. Much better. Now all of my presets sound like I remember.

Another thing. There is absolutely no foam or padding in the shipping box. Literally only a layer of cardboard around it for shipping. This tells me it must be built tough if EV is willing to ship this way.

Since mine is inches from the wall I tried setting the bass at -2 db.
Probably -4 to -6 dB would be better. A speaker on the floor is in a half-space. Put it against the wall and it’s in a quarter-space. Each space adds additional bass energy because of physics, and they push the sound of the speaker farther away from being flat towards being too bass heavy.

At low volume that plays into the hands of Fletcher-Munson by raising the lows to where you think they should be, but it will cause problems if you ever need to run the preset at stage volume, especially if it’s positioned differently. The Monitor 2 setting for the EV has a flat response but we still need to be aware of how a small or large room affects it.

https://www.acousticfields.com/speaker-positioning-guidelines/ talks about the importance of placement.

Last edited:
After reading so many posts about all the FRFR possibilities I'm inclined to choose either the EV PXM 12MP or the RCF NX 12-SMA. I still can't make up my mind which of the 2 to get. There are very few forum posts comparing these 2 against eachother. According to what I've read:
  • EV: Has better dispersion and costs quite a bit less (around €900)
  • RCF: Someone stated the RCF had better tone (more balanced and feeling more "percussive" at higher volumes?) than the EV. Dispersion is narrower compared to EV. Higher price tag (around €1500).

If tone is really better and balanced on the RCF I would consider the RCF but I was hoping someone could chime in and confirm / contradict what I wrote above about the tone aspect. If the difference is negligible the less pricy EV might be the better choice.

(I know people always suggest to try out the speakers before buying but the RCF's don't seem to be in stock here for a while. One month ago that was also the case for the EV.)
Any advice is appreciated!

After reading so many posts about all the FRFR possibilities I'm inclined to choose either the EV PXM 12MP or the RCF NX 12-SMA. I still can't make up my mind which of the 2 to get. There are very few forum posts comparing these 2 against eachother. According to what I've read:
  • RCF: Someone stated the RCF had better tone (more balanced and feeling more "percussive" at higher volumes?) than the EV. Dispersion is narrower compared to EV. Higher price tag (around €1500).

If tone is really better and balanced on the RCF I would consider the RCF but I was hoping someone could chime in and confirm / contradict what I wrote above about the tone aspect. If the difference is negligible the less pricy EV might be the better choice.

(I know people always suggest to try out the speakers before buying but the RCF's don't seem to be in stock here for a while. One month ago that was also the case for the EV.)
I had the RCF for awhile, and along with it the Atomic CLR. I felt that the RCF had a low-mid thing happening that I kept trying to correct. The Atomic sounded flatter to me.

Then I got the PXM, and sold the CLR.

You'll do fine with either speaker, but the PXM has advantages in price, weight (IIRC), onboard storeable EQ, etc.

My experience is I’m totally satisfied and wouldn’t see the need for another speaker unless it was given to me. Save some money bro, the EV’s are top shelf. Get back to practicing and gigging. You won’t regret the EV’s.

Back
Top Bottom