Electro-Voice PXM-12MP report

Venue I play at pretty regularly uses these as monitors. No idea what kind of EQ is applied on them, but they sound...OK. Based on what I have heard so far, I won't be trading my PXM for one, even with the ultranet capability.

But no, I haven't directly compared them as a monitor for my AxeFX.
As best you can, can you explain the differences?

As a general rule, in the pro and semi-pro audio marketplace, speaker quality and price have a pretty close relationship. If a pro speaker costs twice as much as another one, it will usually sound noticeable better.

As best you can, can you explain the differences?
It wouldn't be a fair comparison. I'm sure the house desk has an EQ applied to these monitors, and there's a whole row of them across the front of the stage (too many and too close, IMO). They sound OK, but Turbosound used to be a great name in audio...before Music Trope took them over. Mind you, I have two Behringer mixers myself, so I know they produce some good things for a great value. But my experience with other Turbosound speakers hasn't been great, and these stage monitors have not blown me away.

Sorry canceled my order- it went past the June deadline- so I cancelled very happy with the EV - and have read from other people with the CLR and the EV that they’re both good no big difference- Atomic was very good about getting my refund back to me.
The EV has a lot more EQ options and other stuff I’ll never use but great product IMO-

just bought a pair. compared to my Adam A7X´s, at same level (ca. 100db) , the EV´s has quite more high end information, so I have to use some hi cut in cab block. Never had a need to use that with Adams before.
my guess is, that this is probably because of ribbon tweeter in Adam´s.
other than that, it sounds great and I´m looking forward to try it with buddy, he hits 120db on drums constantly :)
btw, EV´s are on a wooden floor and set to Monitor 2.

Last edited:
just bought a pair. compared to my Adam A7X´s, at same level (ca. 100db) , the EV´s has quite more high end information, so I have to use some hi cut in cab block. Never had a need to use that with Adams before.
my guess is, that this is probably because of ribbon twitters in Adam´s.
other than that, it sounds great and I´m looking forward to try it with buddy, he hits 120db on drums constantly :)
btw, EV´s are on a wooden floor and set to Monitor 2.
Did you consider turning the treble down on the EVs? Just curious. When I was initially tweaking them I did all the edits on the FM9. It occurred to me that I'd probably have to make similar edits in every preset. Then I realized it might be simpler to just turn the treble down a bit on the PXMs. I'll try that soon.

So we tried EV´s yesterday and they slays !
Output mode in fractal set to +4db, EV´s set to 0db and out1 knob on fractal set to 2-ish o´clock gave me ca. 120db while strumming and 125db while heavy palm muting in drop C. this was the treshold for EV´s.
With out knob set just a hair higher, the limiter starts to kicks in, so I´ve found that 125db of constant pressure is what they can handle.
It keeps exactly with my ceriatone molecular 50w and 4x12 mesa recto cab.
What is very surprising is that with EV´s. I could get even fatter sound than with 4x12 cab, but tighter at the same time.
I´m flabbergasted !

Last edited:
Did you consider turning the treble down on the EVs? Just curious. When I was initially tweaking them I did all the edits on the FM9. It occurred to me that I'd probably have to make similar edits in every preset. Then I realized it might be simpler to just turn the treble down a bit on the PXMs. I'll try that soon.
Good advice ! for sure better than tweak every preset.
I just have to make sure that rolling the treble down on EV´s will give me the same effect as using hi cut in cab block.
The point is, when using hi cut, it cuts just the unwanted freq´s over 6,5khz when playing super loud.
With EV treble eq, it may takes some definition away and makes it muddy if it´s centered lower.
I will try this for sure as I am curious :)

Last edited:
Did you consider turning the treble down on the EVs? Just curious. When I was initially tweaking them I did all the edits on the FM9. It youroccurred to me that I'd probably have to make similar edits in every preset. Then I realized it might be simpler to just turn the treble down a bit on the PXMs. I'll try that soon.
Logically though, turning treble down on your monitoring means you'll end up sending a brighter signal to FOH or a recording. Is that what you want to do?

Ideally monitoring is neutral, with the same tonal balance as whatever you consider your target system. There's a bit of a hall of mirrors thing going on. What do you trust?

Logically though, turning treble down on your monitoring means you'll end up sending a brighter signal to FOH or a recording. Is that what you want to do?

Ideally monitoring is neutral, with the same tonal balance as whatever you consider your target system. There's a bit of a hall of mirrors thing going on. What do you trust?
I think if you made presets on studio monitors at 90-100db´s and they are translating well to FOH PA, then rolling the treble down on monitor, just for your own enjoyment is not a problem.

Last edited:

This is what I did. No issues and sounds perfect. It's only for my monitoring. For FOH, I can adjust the output 2 EQ on my Axe 3 or FM3.

Back
Top Bottom