Double tracking-effect on live guitar?

Has any one tried, random modulating the speed parameter of the mono tape delay,
as the primary component. I haven't had time lately, no pun intended.

Hi everybody, pardon me if this has been already discussed (I read some of this thread, and didn't exactly see this)...

I split the signal into three: two AMPs, each with a CAB, and then a Drive block with a Tone Match acting as another amp + cab (you can get a cab EQ from the TM by blowing white noise into the TM block with the desired CAB temporarily in front).

Set everything how you like, but note which path has the sharpest attack—this is the one you won't be "randomizing". On each of the other two, put a mono delay in front of the AMP, all wet, no feedback, and control the delay time with LFO1 and LFO2 (set differently, but each to a fraction of a Hz). Having the delays go between 0 and 15 ms gives you slight flams and a free slight pitch waver. Putting a mixer after all this will help you pan and set levels.
Bonus: you now have two pitch blocks to put in front of the delays in each row, so—if set all wet, and with just one harmony note each—you have a three-part harmony, each played through a separate rig!

Hope this helps,
Eric

I would highly recommend using either the LOOPER or Playing to a Click but Definitely not both. Your looper and Click will NEVER be on time UNLESS you are using program MIDI Changes to make your changes in DAW that is also providing the click, in that case your computer would make it perfect. You would be surprised how easy it is for your band to follow your loop. A helpful thing to consider is to utilize the enhancer block, so that your loop and live playing are not competing for stereo fields. Keep one in the center (LEAD-MONO) and one wide (Rhythm-STEREO).

Thanks for the advice dude, I will try to get the band to follow the loop but its easier said than done (especially when it comes to drummers! )

Hi everybody, pardon me if this has been already discussed (I read some of this thread, and didn't exactly see this)...

I split the signal into three: two AMPs, each with a CAB, and then a Drive block with a Tone Match acting as another amp + cab (you can get a cab EQ from the TM by blowing white noise into the TM block with the desired CAB temporarily in front).

Set everything how you like, but note which path has the sharpest attack—this is the one you won't be "randomizing". On each of the other two, put a mono delay in front of the AMP, all wet, no feedback, and control the delay time with LFO1 and LFO2 (set differently, but each to a fraction of a Hz). Having the delays go between 0 and 15 ms gives you slight flams and a free slight pitch waver. Putting a mixer after all this will help you pan and set levels.
Bonus: you now have two pitch blocks to put in front of the delays in each row, so—if set all wet, and with just one harmony note each—you have a three-part harmony, each played through a separate rig!

Hope this helps,
Eric

It just occurred to me: doing this in the Axe, you might get better results not using only LFO's, but with an envelope attachment controlling things. The reason: with the Mimiq, when you hit a chord, and let it ring out, you don't hear any modulation. When you play a series of notes, you hear some modulation going on. So, the tiny changes in pitch and delay really only happen when the initial attack occurs, and is immediately less noticeable afterwards. Does this make sense?

It just occurred to me: doing this in the Axe, you might get better results not using only LFO's, but with an envelope attachment controlling things. The reason: with the Mimiq, when you hit a chord, and let it ring out, you don't hear any modulation. When you play a series of notes, you hear some modulation going on. So, the tiny changes in pitch and delay really only happen when the initial attack occurs, and is immediately less noticeable afterwards. Does this make sense?
Thi
I worked on this awhile back.. I found the Envelope the way to go & there's a few advantages to the envelope as well.. here's the link, (post #71&74).
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/video-haas-delay-and-how-to-use-it.113156/page-4

OP for a double tracked lead sound try splitting your guitar to two amps (panned hard left and right) but in front of one them place a ring modulator block 100% wet with pitch tracking set to on and set to unison pitch. For leads this gives a much wider stereo image than using enhancers, variable delays or standard modulation effects.

I liked the sound in the first mode with only 1 extra guitar signal using my AX8 and the TC electronics MIMIQ pedal. I tried with 2 and 3 and did not like the sound. To me when using with only 1 extra guitar signal it was quite realistic. There were a few things that I did in conjunction. First was to create a stereo cab with the same cabinet on both sides. I then placed the fx loop block just before the cab block. I also set output 1 and output 2 in stereo mode.

I got a TC Mimiq and tried several settings with my AX8. I use one amp with 2 different IRs from my DIY-2x12 cab. I used it between amp + cabs and after the cab block in stereo mode.
All I got was a certain placebo effect, and after a few hours of playing I was not sure what I was hearing......
I experienced, that the enhancer block did more for the spread of the signal than the mimiq, IMHO.
Setting 1 (One Guitar) had very few effect on my sound, and Setting 2 and 3 sound extremely unnaturally and phasy......

I got a TC Mimiq and tried several settings with my AX8. I use one amp with 2 different IRs from my DIY-2x12 cab. I used it between amp + cabs and after the cab block in stereo mode.
All I got was a certain placebo effect, and after a few hours of playing I was not sure what I was hearing......
I experienced, that the enhancer block did more for the spread of the signal than the mimiq, IMHO.
Setting 1 (One Guitar) had very few effect on my sound, and Setting 2 and 3 sound extremely unnaturally and phasy......
I didn't like Setting 2 and 3 either. I did get pretty good stereo separation with Setting 1. I did set the tightness all the way left. Make sure that your path is true stereo from the Mimiq or it will not sound right, You can check this by turning down each of the 2 level controls on the Mimiq. It should kill the signal to one side. If that doesn't happen then there is something not set correctly. Good luck,

I didn't like Setting 2 and 3 either. I did get pretty good stereo separation with Setting 1. I did set the tightness all the way left. Make sure that your path is true stereo from the Mimiq or it will not sound right, You can check this by turning down each of the 2 level controls on the Mimiq. It should kill the signal to one side. If that doesn't happen then there is something not set correctly. Good luck,
You can also connect stereo from the OUT1 L/R straight to the power amp or board.

Back
Top Bottom