Double tracking-effect on live guitar?

Anything that requires stereo isn't going to be particularly useful to me. Live I run mono. And I'll never understand it for recording - why don't you just play your song again?

For recording, I always doubletrack. I just want to use it for live. We have tons of sequencing and synths going on in our music, so I just want to fatten/widen my guitars live.

I didn't like Setting 2 and 3 either. I did get pretty good stereo separation with Setting 1. I did set the tightness all the way left. Make sure that your path is true stereo from the Mimiq or it will not sound right, You can check this by turning down each of the 2 level controls on the Mimiq. It should kill the signal to one side. If that doesn't happen then there is something not set correctly. Good luck,
That was it! After switching the Return in the I/O section to "stereo", I had it!! Thanx again for the hint.

It's definitely a keeper in my FX-Loop. I found out, that I get better results by using 2 different IRs (from 2 different cabs - not 2 different IRs from the same cab) and that the IRs should be MP (minimal phase) for less "phasy" sounds.
So how do you know if they are minimal phase?

If you don't know it, you can check it out by using a DAW, set your Stereo-in signal with the IRs to mono. (Without the mimiq) . If they sound phasy, one or both of the IRs are in real phase. If you are using cab packs in wave format, you can convert them to "minimal phase"
I found this out "by accident", to be honest. :)

Updated: We analysed the signal structure of the TC Mimiq pedal.

To make it short: It's not possible AT ALL to create this in the AXE FX at the moment. There is so much randomized action going on with the signal, that there would be several randomized controllers necessary to do the same job.
Maybe a "Randomizer-Block" that triggers the other Modifiers for the time/phase/pitch/controlled Blocks at once would be a cool feature in an upcoming firmware???? ;-)

[QUOTE="funkstation777, post: 1437354, member: 11103"
Maybe a "Randomizer-Block" that triggers the other Modifiers for the time/phase/pitch/controlled Blocks at once would be a cool feature in an upcoming firmware???? ;-)[/QUOTE]

I like this idea very much - triggered by envelope maybe?

Markus Hohmann (german axefx.de-community) and me. He created a test file with different amplitudes, frequency sweeps, etc. And I have sent it trough the mimiq pedal and recorded an audio file for further analysis.

To make it short: It's not possible AT ALL to create this in the AXE FX at the moment. There is so much randomized action going on with the signal, that there would be several randomized controllers necessary to do the same job.
Maybe a "Randomizer-Block" that triggers the other Modifiers for the time/phase/pitch/controlled Blocks at once would be a cool feature in an upcoming firmware???? ;-)
There is a random LFO in the Axe-Fx II. And you can assign it to control other parameters on other LFOs which can then be linked to effect parameters. Given your struggles to recreate this effect on your own in the Axe-Fx II as documented in this thread, you'll have to excuse me if I view your proclamation that "It's not possible AT ALL" with a bit of skepticism here.

I've offered repeatedly do a better pass at this pedal if someone can provide me with a dry and wet track to do some deeper analysis on.

There is a random LFO in the Axe-Fx II. And you can assign it to control other parameters on other LFOs which can then be linked to effect parameters. Given your struggles to recreate this effect on your own in the Axe-Fx II as documented in this thread, you'll have to excuse me if I view your proclamation that "It's not possible AT ALL" with a bit of skepticism here.

I've offered repeatedly do a better pass at this pedal if someone can provide me with a dry and wet track to do some deeper analysis on.

I have sent you the dropbox link. Have fun.

Last edited:

Hi, any news about your personal mimiq-waves-test?

Updated: We analysed the signal structure of the TC Mimiq pedal.

It sounds like you might be using an old version of the Mimiq firmware? The modulation in the Mimiq is triggered by an envelope follower. It's not random. It sometimes mistriggers depending on how dynamic your playing is, but that's not intentional. They tweaked the follower in a recent update so check your firmware.

It sounds like you might be using an old version of the Mimiq firmware? The modulation in the Mimiq is triggered by an envelope follower. It's not random. It sometimes mistriggers depending on how dynamic your playing is, but that's not intentional. They tweaked the follower in a recent update so check your firmware.
Nope. Firmware is up to date.

Hi Everyone,
This might have already been discussed but I think that classic mode of the enhancer block really nails that double tracked effect. IMHO it sounds as good if not better than the MIMIQ Doubler. I cranked up the width parameter to 100% for a more pronounced effect. From the YouTube examples I've seen, the MIMIQ seems to sound best when its doubled. The tripled and quadrupled modes to my ear are definitely not as pleasing.

Hi guys,
I was doing this about 4 or 5 years ago when I was gigging a lot and trying to get one of the bands to the next level.

To get a goot ADT you need:

- variation in time
- variation in dynamics
- variation in pich
- all the previous needs to make sense to the song tempo

You can get variation in time and pitch with a delay block, the variation in dynamics can be obtained by using two amps with two different dynamic response.
The key is to use the evenlope to trigger the random variation in time of a delay block. Changing the time suddenly will give also small pitch variations.

Please find a preset attached, when you play it you can tell it's "fake" if you are too close to the speaker with the "ADT" amp than the other, but in context it always works great. You get good mono compatibility too.

Choose two amps of your choices, IRs and you should be good to go. I set the envelope follower to be under 50% when letting a chord ring and get over while playing actual notes.

It took me 4 month to get it good and at the time it was an original idea, never got the time to transform it in an actual product.

Attachments

• ADT Forum.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 74
Hi, any news about your personal mimiq-waves-test?
Spent some time with it today. It's hard to really do much, as a human, with test tones like that. Can you record some clean (like guitar -> pedal, no amp or cab) single note stuff for me maybe? A piano low E, mezzo piano low E, low E, mezzo forte low E, forte low E -- just hold each note for a few beats so we can hear the change over time?

Back
Top Bottom