Double tracking-effect on live guitar?

Always Stereo FOH, with an enhancer block. The enhancer block isn't going to my stage setup (output 2) though, only to the FOH. It works just fine. Try it for yourself. Nobody will get hurt in the process!

Thanks for the recommendations everybody.

Anybody care to weigh in on the modulation issues, like whether there are settings for splice and crossfade on any of the Axe delays? And how to prevent a sweeped type of modulation on delay times and pitch?

Hello all, lots of good information in this thread about doubling effects. I will be purchasing a new Axe this week, and one of the things it will hopefully be able to replicate/replace/improve on is the doubling effect I had on my Eventide. One of the things I don't think has been mentioned yet is that during real doubling, each guitar track or guitarist is either ahead or behind the other at any given moment. I reconstructed this by simply fixing a delay time of 7 ms on one side and sweeping the delay on the other from 0 to 20ms, 100% wet. Obviously this introduces latency, but I got used to it and didn't use it on every piece of music. The stereo effect was further enhanced by the fact that I had an EL34 Marshall JCM 800 on the right and another 6L6 800 on the left running into dummy loads as the inputs to the Eventide, which gave each amp its own tone and dynamics profile. This delay effect sounded phasey on some other devices I tried, but worked well on my H3000SE, I think because that unit had settings for the length of crossfade/splice between the changing delay times, which I optimized for smoothness/anti glitching, and which I have not seen in other units. Does anybody know if the Axe has settings for splice and crossfade on the delay blocks?.

The other thing I have not seen mentioned, is that the differences in pitch between two guitar passes or two guitarists playing at the same time, mostly come from the different picking dynamics from one take or guitarist to another, or from their fret hand grip, and whether they are sharp or flat on one or more strings as a result of either hand at any given moment. The best way to mimic this is obviously with an envelope follower of some sort, but then the questions become exactly what parameter should that LFO modify, to what degree and how to create those moments of fixed detuning which result during held notes, and which keep a doubled track from having that sweeping, 80's big production wash we get even from good rackmount modulation devices. My feeling is that the best pitch modulation would be something that mostly toggles, rather than sweeps between generated values, which I think would better mimic the momentary detuning between doubled parts with any held notes, or momemts of greater playing precision.

The last thing I want to mention, is that while I think it's cool that TC has come up with a doubling pedal, it's hard for me to believe that any pedal has as much headroom and general fidelity as a quality piece of rackmount gear. So I will be certainly trying to replicate all of the above phenomenon in the Axe, with all its CPU power and fidelity, as opposed to running my guitar through a pedal filled with 75 cent components. I thought the Mimiq sounded almost credible, but also a bit too clumsy and flabby. Surely the Axe can do better than that, right? I hope so!
I set up a doubler effect using envelopes on both pitch & time with the envelope tied to the picking dynamic/volume. So the pitch would vary a few cents between what you set (something like -4 to -7) and the time would vary some MS (something like from 30ms to 50) obviously you could set any of those parameters to whatever you like. I was just taking the HAAS DELAY concept a bit further along to give it some more realistic vibe. Easy to set up, has to be used in stereo for it to work. Has no phasing issues in stereo.

Still, after hearing all these lil jigs and gizmos claiming to portray the effect of a doubled guitar tone, I still have NOT heard a successful attempt at it. Most if not all, just do what any time based effect is able to do. A DD-3 or a delay in the AxeFx can most likely portray the doubled effect just as good as these other gizmos, yet all just cannot match that effect in real time! Maybe FAS will release an update that solves our need for the doubled effect?!?!?

After looking at the official TC video on the mimic, I'm going to get one and try it out in the Axe effects loop. I am going to use it true stereo, with 2 amp/cabs signal path, probably only for overdrive rhythm parts in the simplest doubling mode. If what they say is true in the video, it seems they have addressed all of the parameters involved in recreating a double tracked part I can think of. Apparently it's a proprietary chip/algorithm, and I am leery of putting a stomp box in the middle of my very fussed over high-quality digital signal chain, but all the other options seem a bit less realistic than the mimic doing it's simplest basic trick of 1 part doubling/double tracking.

The question then becomes, did the TC guys miss anything that can be improved upon in a higher powered digital processing unit, like the Axe? Or if they have really nailed it, would they consider selling it as an aftermarket software plug-in for use in a device like the Axe?

After looking at the official TC video on the mimic, I'm going to get one and try it out in the Axe effects loop. I am going to use it true stereo, with 2 amp/cabs signal path, probably only for overdrive rhythm parts in the simplest doubling mode. If what they say is true in the video, it seems they have addressed all of the parameters involved in recreating a double tracked part I can think of. Apparently it's a proprietary chip/algorithm, and I am leery of putting a stomp box in the middle of my very fussed over high-quality digital signal chain, but all the other options seem a bit less realistic than the mimic doing it's simplest basic trick of 1 part doubling/double tracking.

The question then becomes, did the TC guys miss anything that can be improved upon in a higher powered digital processing unit, like the Axe? Or if they have really nailed it, would they consider selling it as an aftermarket software plug-in for use in a device like the Axe?
I don't think I'd be too worried about placing that in the AxeFX loop. It's really only going to be sending the signal through it while the loop is on/active anyway, plus TC stuff is good quality stuff to begin with. Personally I think I'd almost rather have the pedal than a plugin anyway. Unless your sole purpose is only recording, but in that case I'd think I'd just record another real track.
In case ya missed it, the new mini one is a mono version, you'll want to get the original stereo version.

I think nothing can compare to true double tracking. I find that little delay trick doesn't really cut it unless you're running sterio with two AxeFx/cabs, one left and one right, then tweak from there. I just think it would be fun to hear some forum examples of what guys have put together for that double track sound. I'm talking only within the AxeFx though. I don't thing anything can really sound like a truely doubled track, close but not so close:/
It would be fun to check out all the attempts/share creations!

Just read through the thread. Now I'm confused LOL...

Dear pioneers of Axe FX, ADT & this thread... Have you reached a conclusion, as to what is the best solution for now, to get that extra lushness live? If I left the MIMIQ out of the equation here.

Back
Top Bottom