Do Any of You Use AES/EBU?

FractalAudio

Administrator
Fractal Audio Systems
Do any of you use AES/EBU (as opposed to SPDIF) in your studios (that's the digital XLR connector).

Doing some product research and wondering if anyone actually uses this anymore.

I only use SPDIF and ADAT for connecting digital audio sources. With the AxeFx, I only use the analog outputs.

My suggestion re: AES/EBU is to keep it. Unlike the other protocols, it is a stable, widely-adopted format for professional audio gear. It is unlikely to find widespread use in home recording applications, but it is extremely useful for passing signal among different devices in pro recording/live sound scenarios.

FractalAudio said:
Do any of you use AES/EBU (as opposed to SPDIF) in your studios (that's the digital XLR connector).

Doing some product research and wondering if anyone actually uses this anymore.

My "studio" pretty much consists of an Ultra and a MOTU Traveler :lol: , but I connect them via an AES/EBU cable...

nope, not generally.
I do with gear that I own that supports it (or the consumer version SPDIF)

No, ADAT (optical or SPDIF optical) or analog.
ADAT because i think i have not to take care about the quality of the cables. (not obvious with SPDIF & AES)

I only use it occasionally when I work at other studios, hardly ever at my home studio, but I think it's really great to have if possible, in any future products.

I'm using analog right now because I was getting too much jitter using S/PDIF. But I am considering upgrading my soundcard to something that uses AES/EBU, but only if the jitter is gone. I do realize that AES/EBU is a professional interface vs S/PDIF as a consumer interface, but the lack of the ability to provide a word clock to the input of the Axe-FX worries me.

So my question is for those that do use AES/EBU, I would assume that you don't have jitter or sync problems; is that correct?

Jay Mitchell said:
My suggestion re: AES/EBU is to keep it. Unlike the other protocols, it is a stable, widely-adopted format for professional audio gear. It is unlikely to find widespread use in home recording applications, but it is extremely useful for passing signal among different devices in pro recording/live sound scenarios.

+1

Back
Top Bottom