Do Any of You Use AES/EBU?

Personally I use only the analog outputs on the AxeFx.

However, I have some mic preamps (e.g. TC Gold Channel) that I have been using the SPDIF option for and if I haven't set up the master/slave relationship correctly, I'll get glitches in the audio which I think could be what you're running into.

AFAIK, in order to use the digital outputs on the AxeFx (either spdif or aes/ebu), the audio interface you connect it to, has to be set to 'slave' mode. Once you've done that, the AxeFx will control the sync and the interface should switch to 48KHz as dictated by the AxeFx.

tgunn said:
Is it possible that the interface isn't configured so that the AxeFx is the sync master?
If both think they are 'master', then you'll get those artifacts.
BINGO
Clocking 101

Hey prometh,
Just one more thing. I'm not sure what interface you are using but if it has AES/EBU in on it. You need to select that as the clock source no SPDIF..

I am using a digi 003R it only has SPDIF. I have an Apoge Rosetta 200 hook up to that via SPDIF so my clock source is SPDIF. I have my ultra hooked up to the apoge via AES. I have to set the clock on the apogee to external and also select where it gets the clock from (AES) so that the ultra is the master.

When I'm just tracking vocals through mic pre's into the Rosetta then I switch the clock source on the apogee to 48k and it is the master. My daw is never the master clock source.

So if your interface has AES then make sure that it is selected and not SPDIF. If you are using anthoer peice of gear in-between your daw and you axe fx then the daw clock can be set to SPDIF but your in between piece needs to be set to external clock via AES input. Nothing to do on the axe fx.

I hope that helps. If not. I tried. :) happy holidays

Larry

I'm currently hooked up to a Tascam FW-1804 through S/PDIF. It doesn't have AES/EBU. This is why I'd like to know whether AES/EBU has the issues solved that S/PDIF has before buying a unit to replace the Tascam. But, from what you're saying, it's possible that the Tascam isn't properly going into slave mode, despite what its utility program says.

And, I'm glad you're trying to help! Unlike some people who just look down from a high horse they don't even deserve to sit on.

Is it possible to record a few chords with the high notes so that we can hear the noise? That way I can at least tell you if it sounds like what I'm hearing when there are sync issues.

Which indicators are you seeing lighting up on the fw1804? (adat, d in, clock, firewire)

d in, clock and firewire are lit up

Sure, I'll put something together. Gotta get some new 9V batteries first, though (pickups)

Sounds to me that sync issues are a possible explanation. I don't suppose you have a second interface you could try to sync with?
Is there some UI that tells you (besides the d-in light... for instance on a computer) that the interface is synced with an external clock?

No, this is the only interface I have. But, I've been thinking of switching to a single-track interface/recorder with AES/EBU.

And yes, I have the clock source set to S/PDIF in such a UI.

[image removed]

Last edited:
After learning more about AES/EBU and S/PDIF, I think I've figured out something that may simplify things for everyone.

To start off, all the issues mentioned with S/PDIF seem to have been regarding physical jitter. Which is why some have switched to AES/EBU, as the XLR is more sturdy.

AES/EBU and S/PDIF both have the same audio data—with the exception of CD track markers which are useless to us. So, coming from the same source on the Axe-Fx, one should not be any more accurate than the other. This means that we don't need to upgrade to new units that have AES/EBU. Great news for me! I'd always heard that AES/EBU was created only for longer cable lengths, but with a problem at hand and missing variables in my head, I hadn't figured anything out.

Converting from one to the other is almost as simple as using an adapter cable. Since AES/EBU runs at 110Ω and S/PDIF runs at 75Ω, you'll need any one of these.

Maybe I was the only one misunderstanding all this, but if so, I know I won't be the last.

And as for the ticking problem I mentioned in earlier posts, it turned out to be my compressor clipping and not a timing issue.

Last edited:
I'd tend to use AES/EBU over SP/DIF if I can.
I usually have digital grade XLR cables here, while finding an rca cable is trickier.
The connection is more secure too.

I have a couple of SP/DIF to AES/EBU cables that I made up- they are essentially interchangeable but you just need to be careful going AES -> spdif that you don't overload it with level.

Never use the Axe FXs digital out as I never record at 48khz- it is either 24/44.1khz or 24/96khz here only.

I'd rather stick with digital cuz then I don't have to trim. I like keeping things as simple as possible.

And I don't see the benefit of using analog to record at 96khz when the Axe-Fx internally runs at 48khz.

I'd rather stick with digital cuz then I don't have to trim. I like keeping things as simple as possible.

And I don't see the benefit of using analog to record at 96khz when the Axe-Fx internally runs at 48khz.

Well, I track analog drums, bass and vox with an Apogee Symphony system.
96khz does have its benefits.

For recording multiple instruments, sure, I see now. In my case, I'd rather use the Axe-Fx for vox and bass; so it'd all be done individually or with 2 interfaces.

Well, I am still wondering if its worth trying digital. I don't know anything about digital recording, and I'm not normally impressed with the sample rates these days, (except those korg single bit recorders) much prefering analog tape; the axe fx is the exception, probably because of Cliffs algorithms which are pretty convincing as far as digital things go. Where I am convinced analog is still superior is in the interactions of wave harmonics in a real space - much in the way that a mono recorded piano will carry much better throughout the rooms of a house (this concept was introduced to me by a family of violin players who were emphatic that mono, because of not having any cancellations, were inherently more able to continue reverberating in a space. I tested this premise and from my limited experience I was absolutely conveinced).

So I haven't even bothered to try digital. But that may change if I hear some positive feedback regarding how it sounds versus recording the analog outputs. The fireface does a pretty good job of reproducing things, much better for me than the M-Audio $300 price range anyway. I would like to try an Apogy Duet. The reason digital might be an advantage isn't just not having to trim. I don't mind adjusting the analog input. What are the benefits with digital? I have a 1 yr old fireface 400, is there a way to avoid clock jitter problems on it? I didn't find the statements from cliff concerning this issue just now, though I read them a couple of weeks ago. I recall that the jitter is said to be coming from cheap resampling technology.

I use the digital connection to go into a EMU 1616 and love the results that I am getting.

Any more positive results with decent soundcards?

Last edited:
As far as I know, recording 96khz from the Axe-Fx's analog outputs is like converting an MP3 to a raw WAV; you're not gonna get anything more but a larger file size. The Axe-Fx runs at 48khz internally.

If you're recording multiple instruments at once then there's a possible benefit [for the other instruments].

As far as I know, recording 96khz from the Axe-Fx's analog outputs is like converting an MP3 to a raw WAV; you're not gonna get anything more but a larger file size. The Axe-Fx runs at 48khz internally.

If you're recording multiple instruments at once then there's a possible benefit [for the other instruments].

Not exactly- have to consider the further processing is done at higher sample rates (compression/eq/reverb plugins and the like).
So, yes, the audio from the Axe FX itself doesn't need to be at 96khz but the processing at 96khz that is done to that file does have a discernible difference in audio quality- particularly the harmonic content of the audio.

I don't run Vox through the Axe FX- I have a few spendy preamps that simply aren't replaceable so far in software.
I am sure one day it will happen but for now I use my hardware pre's for vox, drums and the like.
I've tracked Bass through the Axe FX- it does work but again I tend to go for the hardware solution at this time- 90% of the bass sounds I use are just the bass DI'ed to a Groove Tubes Vipre, then to a Distressor, then to the DAW.

Back
Top Bottom