Do Any of You Use AES/EBU?

not me either, but I like the option of it being there for possible future use

technically it has been used once, when the sound guy plugged into that instead of the analog out :oops: :lol:

solo-act said:
My digital mixing board has an AES input.

Might I ask what digital mixer you use?

And if you were to plug in multiple Axe-Fxs, would they all record in time without clicks and pops?

prometh said:
solo-act said:
My digital mixing board has an AES input.

Might I ask what digital mixer you use?

And if you were to plug in multiple Axe-Fxs, would they all record in time without clicks and pops?
It's a Metric Halo 2882 2D +DSP. The axe-fx runs at 48k so the 2882 is set to 48k as well.
There's only one AES input, and the 2882 can only listen to either spdif or AES so your question doesn't apply to the 2882.

I think that the AxeFx always needs to be the master. So connecting more than one to a single source is likely going to have some issues. Someone else should confirm/deny this, but the AxeFx sounds great via the analog outputs anyway ;)

There's only one AES XLR input on that box, the other two you're calling digital are XLR analog input. Do you have the wiring to go from AES xlr to 25 pin D-sub?

A little more about the Metric Halo: in addition to 4 XLR analog inputs and 4 TRS analog inputs, it'll do 8 channels digital input down optical cable, and 16 channels digital input down firewire cable and the AES or spdif digital on top of that as well as 8 TRS analog outputs and full console capability with routing as powerful and flexible as the best DAW's, AND a bunch of eq's, effects compressor, an excellent reverb and a bunch of other stuff. All the routing, effects and processing are in the box with laptop screen acting only as the interface...kinda like a live & studio PA/mixing/recording equivalent of the axe-fx.

Not bad for something that's only one rack space and came out in it's initial form several years ago.

The Metric Halo 2882 is made in here in the USA and, like fractal audio, has continued to evolve and remain cutting edge without requiring the customer to upgrade to a newer "box".

The 2882 came out in 2001 if you can believe that. Only recently did M.H. design a new box called the ULN8, a great unit if you have $6000 lying around

prometh said:
I'm liking this:

http://tascam.com/product/hs-8/specifications/

Could plug in 3 Axe-Fx units with AES/EBU... 1 for guitar, 1 for bass and 1 for vocals... then use mics for drums (electronic drums currently limit the drummer)... then just hit record :)

What do you guys think?

~$100 for XLR -> 25pin Dsub

AES/EBU is better than optical, so I think this would be the solution for me.... if I were in a band, which I'm not...

So I think I'm going to buy this instead:

http://www.d-mpro.com/users/folder.asp? ... b=Overview

It's basically the same as the HS-8, but only 2 channels.

But I REALLY MUST KNOW... are the S/PDIF issues corrected when switching to AES/EBU?

What spdif issues you mean exactly? I think there still is jitter issue because, like in spdif, in aes/ebu the clock is embedded in the signal and needs to be extracted.

Never used it.

Play live mostly, use the good old analog outs. Its what the sound guy expects and that guy happy matters more than flawless D/A to me on stage.
I'm happy enough with the analog outs that I wouldn't lose sleep tracking with them either. I'd prefer a USB2/3 on the .next product for data passing and a headphone out for warm up time while I'm dreaming.

-P

Well, people are saying that AES/EBU is better than S/PDIF on the Axe-Fx. My multitrack is picking up digital noises with S/PDIF that don't appear when using analog, and I'd like to stay all digital in my rack so that I don't have to worry about trimming knobs/dials. But, before I buy a unit with AES/EBU, I need to know if these digital noises will disappear.

Hey Prometh,

How are you clocking when you record. I track with my ultra quite a bit through the AES out and the only time I get clicks and pops are when I forget to switch Pro Tools and my other converters to external. The axe fx has to be the master when you record out the AES output.

Could that be your issue? If not. Never mind. Happy holidays..

Larry

Hey Larry, thanks for the response. I'm currently not recording, but using the headphone jack (and monitor out) on my multitrack interface. However, when hooked up to my laptop, the multitrack's software utility states that the clock source is S/PDIF and the sample rate is 48k. But even then, it still produces the same digital noise every now and then... mostly on chords with high notes.

Is it possible that the interface isn't configured so that the AxeFx is the sync master?
If both think they are 'master', then you'll get those artifacts.

Hmm, I'll have to spend some time figuring out if that's the case. But, are you also saying that the S/PDIF on the Axe-Fx doesn't have any issues?

Back
Top Bottom