Celestion F12-X200 speaker

That sounds like a Sweetwater price. Send them a link of the $150 price and they will do an adjustment.
Heard back from them today, and no dice. That's ok. I should've done a bit more research.
But, he did say he'd be willing to work with me on future stuff, so I told him what I'm considering, but not @ MSRP. Sent me a quote that actually looks pretty good.

Another update, got to spend some time with this speaker - still with a behringer bass amp head direct in. Definitely a lot different than the headrush and more like what Im used from a guitar cab except the beam tone is good, and the off axis isnt (probably by design right?). I adjusted the global eq and seemed to get it to its sweet spot. To be fair to the headrush, I did the same thing and got it sounding pretty good. I have no idea how much this class D bass head (bypassing the preAmp) colors the signal.

Questions For those of you with them,
Question 1) did you do any adjustment to master eq? If yes, what did you change?
Question 2) do you guys point this at your face? If yes, tilted back, or on a stand? Or any of you run them behind you?
Question 3) how would I make a wedge that is the same? Is it just a matter of calculating the box volume?
Question 4) is there a break in protocol or will this thing change after so many hours?

Another update, got to spend some time with this speaker - still with a behringer bass amp head direct in. Definitely a lot different than the headrush and more like what Im used from a guitar cab except the beam tone is good, and the off axis isnt (probably by design right?). I adjusted the global eq and seemed to get it to its sweet spot. To be fair to the headrush, I did the same thing and got it sounding pretty good. I have no idea how much this class D bass head (bypassing the preAmp) colors the signal.

Questions For those of you with them,
Question 1) did you do any adjustment to master eq? If yes, what did you change?
Question 2) do you guys point this at your face? If yes, tilted back, or on a stand? Or any of you run them behind you?
Question 3) how would I make a wedge that is the same? Is it just a matter of calculating the box volume?
Question 4) is there a break in protocol or will this thing change after so many hours?
Personally I'd use a class A/B,H, or G full range amp instead of a class D bass amp.

I don't EQ it differently.

I run mine on the floor 6ft to left 6ft to right of listening position but I've considered stands. I'm just going to build two more and stack them.

I'd contact celestion and ask them about a wedge design. I think there is a wedge design on their website for a different coaxial speaker.

Doesn't every speaker have a break in period? I'd contact celestion and ask.

I contacted Celestion and they said you can do any cab design that has the same volume so I may build a floor wedge like the friedman. I typed all their dimensions into a spreadsheet and then drew it in sketch up to get close. Will build it soon.
Celestion also said that you only need 200 watt amp… thoughts?

I contacted Celestion and they said you can do any cab design that has the same volume so I may build a floor wedge like the friedman. I typed all their dimensions into a spreadsheet and then drew it in sketch up to get close. Will build it soon.
Can't wait to see your wedge!

Sure a 200watt amp will work. You will never get 200watts of clean low THD power out of it tho and will probably sound quite shitty at maximum gain. When you push an amp to its peak output, THD increases. You also run the risk of clipping the amp. Pushing a clipped signal from a solid state amp into a two-way speaker is a bad idea. I prefer to run lower gain levels (50-75%) on a powerful solid state amp. That way I'm not taxing my amp and it's sending a clean sine wave to my speakers.
Here's a good video that explains amp clipping.

Last edited:
I got my Camplifire in the other day. 180 watts at 8ohms. I was going to do my 212 with F12s but the cab I was putting it in is a turd so I got rid of it. I will build something else down the road or find another empty 112. The Camplifire cranked up sounds great through the 112. 2 F12s probably wouldn't be near as good with this power amp at the wattage rating.

Cool, another SU user! I drew those pics I posted earlier using it.

Question on these speakers. As noted, I have a Marshall 1960A cab with 4 of these bad-(insert favorite pronoun here) in there. I have been picking up bass but have only used my guitar as a bass with an octave pedal in my chain on the fm3 to give me a virtual bass.

Any concerns plugging my bass directly into my FM3 and having it come out in these speakers? Any recommendations on presets?

I don't know much about bass but know for e-drum kits you need a special combo drum amp or you could blow your guitar amp, assuming a bass is safer?

Question on these speakers. As noted, I have a Marshall 1960A cab with 4 of these bad-(insert favorite pronoun here) in there. I have been picking up bass but have only used my guitar as a bass with an octave pedal in my chain on the fm3 to give me a virtual bass.

Any concerns plugging my bass directly into my FM3 and having it come out in these speakers? Any recommendations on presets?

I don't know much about bass but know for e-drum kits you need a special combo drum amp or you could blow your guitar amp, assuming a bass is safer?
Not sure these are the best speakers for a bass rig...bass 41.02 Hz for E1

F12-x200 60Hz–20kHz

I bought 2 F12-X200's and 2 F12-M150 triple cones and put together in my Mesa 4x12 and it absolutely rocks. Axe FX lll through a Crown XLS1000

Attachments

• 20210812_075936[1].jpg
    20210812_075936[1].jpg
    564.6 KB · Views: 38
Pretty good comparison video between the F12-X200 and the F12M-150 produced by Celestion using the Axe 3, I like the blend between the two.

Doug was my guitar teacher back in the day...

Small bit of trivia: Doug (a Satriani student) took over Satriani's students when Joe became too busy to teach himself. I had no idea when I was taking lessons from him that I was in Joe's old place!

I want to get two these speakers and put them in 1x12 cabinets and run stereo. Not much of a DYI guy, so I'm not going to build cabs. Anyone know any cabs on the market that would work well? What about those Palmer unloaded 1x12 for instance? Not sure if closed or open back would be best.

Last edited:
I want to get two these speakers and put them in 1x12 cabinets and run stereo. Not much of a DYI guy, so I'm not going to build cabs. Anyone know any cabs on the market that would work well? What about those Palmer unloaded 1x12 for instance? Not sure if closed or open back would be best.
Most likely closed back, since that's what the Celestion-spec cab calls for.

Most likely closed back, since that's what the Celestion-spec cab calls for.
Yeah I think you're right. I was also looking at a 2x12 closed back Palmer. Maybe do a blend of speakers with the X200 and the Triple Cone. Only thing is that I would maybe like the wider stereo spread of two separate 1x12 cabs.

Back
Top Bottom